Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other?

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    there is a depression thread over on the health board.

There are few regulars over there.

My husbands depression was triggered by his stroke. Because he knows now that he will never have a"normal life" again.

I have not been diagnosed by my gp. But believe because of what has happened to my husband. And problems it has caused physically and financially. That I suffer.

Well it is hardly normal to go around a supermarket and suddenly feel so low that you want to burst in to tears.

To the outside world it all looks ok, I am carer for my husband. Only work part time because of safety fears. But inside I am mess and have no close friends to talk to.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well done on this new post lamewolf . i got 3 hours sleep last night , i also have fibromyalgia and have been in so much pain lately, prob the weather. heating turned up to 75 decree .get very depressed as i can't do any thing i.e yet another day in doing nothing to save energy to hopefully go out the next day to get shopping. friend will get stuff ,but that's not the point i want to go , oh dear having good old moan now !! i have to fact fact i can't do what i use to do only 4 years ago any more . the is the hard part . i have lose alot of so called freinds due to being to worn out to go out and unable to walk to far with them . moan moan moan ,well thats it off to bed to try to sleep again , don't want to take pill as will be a zombie tomorrow = another day in !
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    there is a depression thread over on the health board.
    There is indeed, and you would all be most welcome there, but I would ask you to read the first post before you join us.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey wolfie hope you're doing OK today
    :p
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello again,

I hope everyone's Black Dogs are lying down in their baskets today.

I think Jamla has mentioned something very relevant - facing the fact that we can't do things we used to. So maybe it's a sort of "mourning process" for the healthy person we used to be? I certainly fet extremely irritated at not (for instance) being able to go to the supermarket alone. Yes I know I could order online, but it's not the same as going and selecting the stuff myself. And if I have to enlist my husband's help, with anything at all, and I very often do have to, I feel such a total failure, having always been totally self-reliant before. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I must admit, it'd never have occurred to me to visit a "health & beauty" board, as I'm (obviously) not healthy, and by no stretch of the imagination beautiful. lol.

Well, I'm off to find another clean hanky, as I have a doozy of a cold at the moment. Have good days, all.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :rotfl: at the idea we're all healthy and beautiful on the Health and Beauty board - far from it, I assure you! We aspire, we hope, we try ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hello,
    Bushbaby,
    Glad to hear bedtime cd stories work for others, so often I'm in the land of nod before I'm at the end of the first chapter.
    A friend bought me The Reluctant Dragon for Christmas :D so I'm putting that on for the first time tonight.
    I try and get the freebies from newspapers or cereal boxes, and stick to kids stories as they are more relaxing.
    I know sleep is only a fraction of the problem, but I cope better with a reasonable night's kip.

Regards

Munchie
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Munchie & everyone

What is it about audio books that works so well? I had a fab nights sleep last night thanks to Agatha Christie. I downloaded a collection of Miss Marple & Poirot stories. Am yet to stay awake long enough to find out whodunnit :rolleyes:

I must remember the audio books next time I can't sleep.
    Am snuggled up in bed with a pack of hob-nobs and two cats, we're listening to Death on the Nile....Bliss

Hope you all had a good day and wish you all a cosy, restful night
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi wolfie , yes i think its a mourning process , as i wish, i was as i was , before the accident , i miss doing nice things, going out , had to give up most of my hobbies , i want to work full time, i want my jeep back .i want i want i want , but not going to get sniff sniff sniff ,small pat on back and large hug. little blue car is better than jeep :mad: well feel a lot better now :T dog gone to basket 4 the night . and I've eaten bounty bar ,choc gone all over key board but who cares :rotfl:
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jamla, there's nowt wrong with a Little Blue Car. We got rid of our two large, ancient money-drains:eek::eek:, and got a Honda Jazz in "blue pearl".:D I don't have my own car anymore, as I can't justify the expense, and anyway need help going anywhere, so DH uses the Jazz for work, but the good thing is you can fold up the back seats, so my wheelchair can live in there permanently (I use two sticks to hobble round the bungalow - not enough room to use a wheelchair indoors).:o

Nearest I get to audio books is DH reading Terry Pratchett aloud to me. I'm quite deaf, and he knows how to pitch his voice once I've removed my hearing aid for the night so that I can hear him. :o Now, if only I can find a way to deal with the nightmares that have me almost frightened to sleep, we might be getting somewhere.:confused:

Sometimes have to poke DH in the ribs at silly o'clock to help me get a dose of Oramorph, as well. (Paws usually seized up and can't pour it myself without spilling it). Lucky for me he has the patience of a saint.:o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure