I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is difficult to give advice or comment too much on your progress as I don't think you have either said how much you are in debt by or posted an soa. Therefore we don't know if you are making progress but your recent posts have read very similarly to the ones when you started this diary a year ago and you sound very despondent. The holidays definitely seem to be a recurring theme and the struggle to find money for them.

If you balance transfer constantly and only pay minimums I doubt the debt is going down but only you know this. I hope it is and you manage to buy a house eventually as it seems that is the goal. Upping your income will help.

Thanks for your reply. I'm really ashamed about the amt of debt we have. It hasn't gone down or gone up. Which isn't great co aodeting how much we pay on the minimums. You are right about me feeling down like when I first started. I'm feeling more determined to up my income and better our situation.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    debtaghh,

Have a lovely break, it'll do you wonders :)

Come back full of energy (well as much as you can with 3 smalls) and remember nothing is unfixable :) and you will be able to own a house.
    Hope you have a lovely break and it recharges the batteries.

Have fun and take care.x.

Thanks, I have three chn and they range from baby to teenager so can be quite challenging to entertain them at times!

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement, it means a lot x
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I'm quite pleased I have made about £20 in surveys in the last week including over £2 today, it all helps. So far £5 spent on flowers as we are staying with friends, I had budgeted £5 so am pleased.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I'm quite pleased I have made about £20 in surveys in the last week including over £2 today, it all helps. So far £5 spent on flowers as we are staying with friends, I had budgeted £5 so am pleased.

Well done, small steps and all that.

Hope your friend likes the flowers :) x
  • debtaghh
    edited 9 August 2017 at 7:42AM
    Options
    Morning,

I thought I would log on here my budget for the holidays to see if I achieve it :

Staying with friends : £100

Food for lodge:£60

Spending money for lodge ( inclu a couple of dinner and lunches out) : £250

I will be really pleased if I manage to not go over this as I need to learn to budget and not go over.

Food shop for end of Aug/ Sep:

19th Aug: £70
    26th Aug: £65
    2nd Sep: £75.... inclu son's bday cakes for actual bday and party
    8th Sep: £75.... inclu party food for son's party ( he has having some friends around at home)
    15th Sep:£65

This has just made me realise I need to cover 5 weeks of food shopping so have had to adjust accordingly :eek:
    It feels a bit tight but will see.

Ideas for dinner:

Pasta bake
    Jacket potato cheese and beans
    Spag bol
    Carbonara
    Roast
    Quorn wraps
    Pasta with veg
    Bangers, mash and veg

Snacks:

Fruit
    Home made fairy cakes

Lunches:

Tuna mayo sandwiches
    Cheese sandwiches
    Mushroom omelette
    Cheese, crackers and grapes
    Lentils with chopped tomatoes and herbs
    Home made minestrina

Breakfast:

Use up cereals we have
    Toast
    Make pancakes

I shouldn't need any toiletries or cleaning products but will need kitchen towel, toilet paper and sandwich bags.

It feels good to write it down. I may do this on a monthly basis for the food shopping as I can then see how much I've spent on food.

Sorry for the long post!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

We spent £5 yesterday and we leave our friend's house tomorrow so I think the £100 I allocated should be more than enough. We are paying for the takeaway tonight and the weather is looking a bit better so will be going out today but I shouldn't spend £95 today. I'll carry any spare money over to the next trip as that is the one I'm mainly worried about. Ideally if I can have some left over in general it will be great as I don't have any other spending money for the rest of the summer holidays. I would like to have £30-£40. Worst case I do have that pre paid card from BT.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning,

All looks good.

Enjoy the takeaway tonight x
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good idea to put down budget to try and stick to. Meal planning is also good. Enjoy your breaks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    £63.90 spent at friend's which means I have over £35 to carry over. I also think I have allocated too much for food for the lodge so hoping I'll have some left over there too.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I've had an awful night sleep :( I decided to read my diary from the beginning and I really have not progressed at all on the financial front! I lost the weight but not the debt! I clearly hadn't had my lightbulb moment at all! I think I will be brave and log my debt on my signature so I can see if it goes down!

I have been doing more surveys which is great. I will log a lot on here with regards to figures e.g food shopping figures. I need to do more to change our situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback