50mph on motorway due to road works

Options

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, we have a similar 50mph limit near me - M1 near J46. To be honest, very few drivers slow down for it as there are no cameras, just the occasional patrol car chasing after someone flying through at 80. I tend to stick mine in cruise control at around 55. If I'm being overtaken by an HGV when the temporary limit ends, I'll let them get past, let them pull in front of me, then speed up and overtake - safest option IMO. Plus I doubt the few seconds saved dong anything else are worth it.
  • LegendaryMatt
    Options
    Some of the attitudes within this thread are exactly what is wrong on the roads of the UK these days; far too many people seeing the speed limit as a target and not the limit, aggression against anyone who doesn't drive exactly the same way as you, and the opinion that only you matter on the road.

It's exactly like that joke: "Anyone going faster than me on the roads is a maniac, and anyone going slower than me is a nuisance."

As for your original question, OP, it depends on the circumstances and the positioning of the truck. We can all read the Highway Code and abide by it but if the truck has just pulled out to overtake and you enter the 70 zone, can anyone safely say they would continue at 50mph for the next 5 minutes and however many yards to let the lorry pass you at a snail's pace? It isn't unsafe to accelerate to somewhere near the speed limit as the lorry driver should expect that and act accordingly -- and not beep or gesture because they're unhappy with it.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    far too many people seeing the speed limit as a target and not the limit

Did you mention that to your examiner when you failed your test for driving at 30mph in a 40mph zone?

Or

Did you drive at the speed limit where it was safe to do so, like we were all taught by our instructor?
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    Did you mention that to your examiner when you failed your test for driving at 30mph in a 40mph zone?

Or

Did you drive at the speed limit where it was safe to do so, like we were all taught by our instructor?

But that's not the sort of speed differential that was being discussed.

It was 45 in a 50.

Now I was taught, depending on the conditions, to keep the needle of the speedometer just below the mark for the speed limit.

So a real world 45 could very easily be what someone thinks is the correct speed to be travelling at, as their speedometer is reading just under 50.

Not everyone knows (or is interested) that speedometers have a potential 10% over-read so takes the readings that the car gives them as accurate.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Not everyone knows (or is interested) that speedometers have a potential 10% over-read so takes the readings that the car gives them as accurate.

And that's fine, but why do they need to do it in the overtaking lanes?

We've got people on here giving it the "limit not a target" BS, the usual excuse for incompetence.
    Well if they want to do 30 in a 40, let them do 30 in a 40, what I don't want them doing is blocking, beeping, flashing lights or waving their camera phones at anyone who dares to overtake them.

Here's the difference, incompetent drivers I can handle, but driving badly to provoke other drivers, that's entirely different.

These people not only want to drive slowly, but they're passively-aggressively enforcing that on everyone else.

Now perhaps it's different in different areas of the country, but around here in Worcestershire and the west-mids it's reaching ****ing epidemic proportions.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    And that's fine, but why do they need to do it in the overtaking lanes?

We've got people on here giving it the "limit not a target" BS, the usual excuse for incompetence.
    Well if they want to do 30 in a 40, let them do 30 in a 40, what I don't want them doing is blocking, beeping, flashing lights or waving their camera phones at anyone who dares to overtake them.

Here's the difference, incompetent drivers I can handle, but driving badly to provoke other drivers, that's entirely different.

These people not only want to drive slowly, but they're passively-aggressively enforcing that on everyone else.

Now perhaps it's different in different areas of the country, but around here in Worcestershire and the west-mids it's reaching ****ing epidemic proportions.

I never see such behavior?
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I never see such behavior?

Me neither and I live in the West Midlands as well.

I can't think of one instance in my 25+ years of driving where I have been flashed/beeped/gesticulated at for performing a legitimate overtake.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Me neither and I live in the West Midlands as well.

I can't think of one instance in my 25+ years of driving where I have been flashed/beeped/gesticulated at for performing a legitimate overtake.

Perhaps Strider's overtakes aren't as legitimate as he thinks they are ;)
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Perhaps Strider's overtakes aren't as legitimate as he thinks they are ;)

They are, perfectly so. The problem is that all the people he overtakes are part of the government's secret surveillance team who are all out to get him.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    They are, perfectly so. The problem is that all the people he overtakes are part of the government's secret surveillance team who are all out to get him.

And just because he's paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't all out to get him ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure