Smokeless Coal average price

Options
Hi All,

This will be our first winter running our Clearview Pioneer 24/7 in the hope of trying to reduce our oil consumption and bill.

Just wondering what sort of price I should expect to pay for 25kg bags of smokeless coal.
Mortgage for £212000 - 10/17 for 35 years!
Aiming to overpay each year as close to 10% as possible!

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jarshay wrote: »
    Hi All,

This will be our first winter running our Clearview Pioneer 24/7 in the hope of trying to reduce our oil consumption and bill.

Just wondering what sort of price I should expect to pay for 25kg bags of smokeless coal.

It depends on the quantity you're able to store. If you can manage a metric tonne on a pallet, then the best price I've found works out (I buy from housefuel.co,.uk) at about £330 for 40 bags. Buying it a bag at a time from a garage will cost you a lot more.

You can get a range of prices on eBay, for comparisons.
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    We pay £22.50 for a sack (50kg) of New Flame delivered & dumped into our bunker, although you can get 10kg bags from B&M for £3.99
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/blaze-smokeless-fuel-10kg-298366

Also a nearby coal merchant's prices:
    http://www.smithsofaxford.co.uk/pricelist.html
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    It depends on the quantity you're able to store.

Also depends on the area you live. I'm paying between £12.50 and £13.60 for a 25Kg bag depending on which coal and the quantity.

One thing I would say to the OP - Do not try using anthracite lumps. I found they just would not stay alight in my stove (Aarrow i500). Fortunately, my supplier collected and refunded on the unopened bags.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • km1423
    km1423 Posts: 145 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2019 at 9:09PM
    Options
    jarshay wrote: »
    Hi All,

Ugh so jealous with a Clearview and 6" flue.. follow A.Badger's advice buy in bulk if you have the storage space, plus get yourself a bunker with minimum of 150kgs for immediate use.

I have found Supacite/Maxibrite to be good fuels for clean glass, etc, or you could go for Phurnacite. Anthracite when you are more experienced, I hear it burns well in a Clearview..which, did I mention I don't have a 6" flue.:(:(

I'm trying New Flame, as I couldn't get Supacite/Maxibrite from usual supplier and it aint bad. If you haven't got a stove fan - get one

Hope you enjoy your first Winter:beer::beer:

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure