Forum updates

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I can confirm that this works. At the page linked in the post linked above, choose Install With Stylish and the magic basically happens by itself. Then simply Ctrl+R to refresh MSE and you're back to stretchy. :)

Thank you for that. It makes it more bearable.

The fixed width skins on an ultrawide monitor was only using 1/8th of the width. it was swamped with white area.

White area that actually increases your electricity usage.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any idea when they are going to put in a fix so that we can have the page back to normal instead of just the middle half of a screen with big white borders without having to download external things to do so? Or at least toning down the white?

So much white, it's killing my eyes!

I did try zooming but that too is a bit of a hassle for one site and it makes the writing far too big that I end up trying to type with my arms stretched out. Oh and I am not using a browser that is covered by the links to that external download.

To be clear, I don't mind the look of the site now, I just want it to fit my screen instead of a slender narrow column in the middle of it.

The alternative is to give up looking at the site on a laptop and just popping in from time to time on a mobile where it is as least bearable.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 1:04AM
    Options
    I guess the whole thing is designed for people who have nothing better to do in work than check out things on their very expensive mobile phone (not very MSE or hopefully for their job prospects). Total & literal waste of space on an actual computer.

Unfortunately we seem to have the spam button back in the same place as before so I suppose some threads will land up deleted without reason! Again!
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    I guess the whole thing is designed for people who have nothing better to do in work than check out things on their very expensive mobile phone (not very MSE or hopefully for their job prospects). Total & literal waste of space on an actual computer.

Unfortunately we seem to have the spam button back in the same place as before so I suppose some threads will land up deleted without reason! Again!

The spam button has been back for quite some time.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    Any idea when they are going to put in a fix so that we can have the page back to normal instead of just the middle half of a screen with big white borders without having to download external things to do so? Or at least toning down the white?

So much white, it's killing my eyes!
    Sue, there are no plans to fix that. What's happened is that old skins, including your green stretchy one, have been taken off the system.

The only options now available are the green Fixed Width one that you are now seeing, or the 'new' blue one.

I've been on the green Fixed one since I joined MSE, and only use an iPad, so I don't see any difference, but lots of people like you are finding this non-stretchy one difficult.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    The main issue is excessive and unnecessary scrolling of the page .. the narrower the viewport then the longer the page length.

I can see that would be more difficult for those with arthritis etc, but despite being old and a bit decrepit, my index finger still works OK, so again, I'd never have noticed this if you'd not mentioned it.

Anyway, it's good if there are some answers for Chrome users. I'm not one of them, so I'll just go blind and wear out my finger! :)
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Sue, there are no plans to fix that. What's happened is that old skins, including your green stretchy one, have been taken off the system.

The only options now available are the green Fixed Width one that you are now seeing, or the 'new' blue one.

I've been on the green Fixed one since I joined MSE, and only use an iPad, so I don't see any difference, but lots of people like you are finding this non-stretchy one difficult.

I didn't like the look of the new one on my mobile or Ipad when not signed in and it was always a relief to sign in and get the old one (even if I had to do some expert side scrolling) but the green fixed width really does me in on a laptop. For the moment, I have switched to the new style rather than the green fixed width one as that is less eeky on my eyes and my fingers (yes, arthritic fingers are a feature here) and it at least fills the screen a little better on my laptop.

Thing is, it should be possible to tweak things so that a (possibly new) stretchy skin for the green version is available without downloading extensions from a third party or risking security issues for the site so that is suits both mobile devices and static ones rather than just the one medium, although I expect the reply to that will be just to use the new version that I am currently using as that is more suited for a desktop/laptop!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    The spam button has been back for quite some time.

not for everyone :(
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 4:23PM
    Options
    Dear oh dear !shrug.gif

5 steps backwards. rolleyes.gif

All that wasted space left & right !
  • Pyxis
    Options
    not for everyone :(

That's weird.

Was that because of being on a different skin before?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport