PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Frith wrote: »
    I haven!!!8217;t recognised a single of these handbag manufacturers yet! I!!!8217;ve never understood handbag love and prefer my pockets.

Today - grey t shirt with white owl motifs

Radley isn't that well know in my part of Canada.

Coach used to be a great label when the bags were made in North America. Lately, it's lost a lot of it's cachet due to being made in China and the fabric bags (which are quiet loud and gaudy). If you're going to buy Coach look for the leather ones. The fabric ones are loved by teenagers because they think they are designer, which in a way they are but the bag needs to be leather for the purists. They also make nice wallets and small accessories.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two lovely floaty sleeveless, shirt type tops in BHF, Welwyn.
    One cream V neck satin effect, Dorothy Perkins, new with tags, originally £22, paid £4.49, the other a teal, grey and white patterned one with more of a thin jersey fabric across the back, Rocha John Rocha line for Debenhams I think, also new with tags, originally £28, paid £5.49.

Welwyn prices always a bit higher than Hatfield but the choice and quality especially for adult clothes is better. Hatfield is a rather small university town so outs a bout of an oddity lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bag dropped off for the Sally Army - some nice items on the rails but sadly not my size :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    What are pockets? :huh:
    Things that ruin the appearance of a good outfit :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Things that ruin the appearance of a good outfit :D
    Absolutely. :D

Especially when stuffed with things that belong in your handbag. ;)

Bought a Per Una unlined minky-brown short (hip length) mac, a bit similar to the Aigle photo up-thread but without the straps/buckles on the sleeves.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

A sun hat, in pink/turquoise with a lovely flower on. Will roll up so can stuff it in my bag. Label cut out but looks expensive, a bit Ted Baker-ish. £2.00 Age UK.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Absolutely. :D

Especially when stuffed with things that belong in your handbag. ;)

Bought a Per Una unlined minky-brown short (hip length) mac, a bit similar to the Aigle photo up-thread but without the straps/buckles on the sleeves.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

A sun hat, in pink/turquoise with a lovely flower on. Will roll up so can stuff it in my bag. Label cut out but looks expensive, a bit Ted Baker-ish. £2.00 Age UK.

:rotfl::rotfl: I'm in the can't-manage-without-a-handbag team, OH always wonders what I put in it but then asks if I can put things in for him :rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit chaz-deprived this morning (even though in truth I am anything but, I've got loads of stuff :o). So I think I can predict where I'll be heading this afternoon :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've just discovered this thread.

Lordy, but some of you know how to find a bargain!

I don't think can beat some of you on anything I've found and some of you would probably DIE at the prices I've paid for some things in a charity shop, but as Pollycat said earlier in the thread 'a bargain is a bargain if you're happy with the price and you really want the item - regardless of how much you've paid and where you bought it from.'

I'm still in 'get rid of debt' mode so I don't venture out into charity shops that often (too much of a temptation to spend!) but I recently dropped into a charity shop that had a 50% off sale on (really, no really, I didn't know this was a thing in a CS! :rotfl:) but I got a very cute small wicker handbag with bamboo handles for £1.95 (perfect for this weather) and a Prada purse for £2.00 (not sure that it's real but it is big and will hold my stupid number of loyalty cards, so I'm happy! (Won't be using it until my current one dies but since I had to pay £15 for that, it's well worth tucking my £2 bargain away until then!)

I also got a Yankee Candle plate and shade for £8.99 that should be about £25 - £30 looking at the website. The colours match a friend's decor, so I'm tucking that away for a present for her.

But my best bargain...and the price I paid will HORRIFY some of you (:rotfl:) was a brand new pair of Doc Marten boots in my size at a time when I DESPERATELY needed some new boots as my current day-to-day ones are falling apart and I was going to buy them full-price as they apparently last forever (which would have seriously hurt my finances, but I'm damned if I buy cheap and buy twice).

Take a bow, small BHF for selling them to me for £49.99 instead of £125.

(I'm still breaking them in, though...that's a bit of a task with DMs!)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I!!!8217;m sure my hens are traumatised from the terrible line of my cords this morning !
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've just discovered this thread.

Lordy, but some of you know how to find a bargain!

I don't think can beat some of you on anything I've found and some of you would probably DIE at the prices I've paid for some things in a charity shop, but as Pollycat said earlier in the thread 'a bargain is a bargain if you're happy with the price and you really want the item - regardless of how much you've paid and where you bought it from.'

I'm still in 'get rid of debt' mode so I don't venture out into charity shops that often (too much of a temptation to spend!) but I recently dropped into a charity shop that had a 50% off sale on (really, no really, I didn't know this was a thing in a CS! :rotfl:) but I got a very cute small wicker handbag with bamboo handles for £1.95 (perfect for this weather) and a Prada purse for £2.00 (not sure that it's real but it is big and will hold my stupid number of loyalty cards, so I'm happy! (Won't be using it until my current one dies but since I had to pay £15 for that, it's well worth tucking my £2 bargain away until then!)

I also got a Yankee Candle plate and shade for £8.99 that should be about £25 - £30 looking at the website. The colours match a friend's decor, so I'm tucking that away for a present for her.

But my best bargain...and the price I paid will HORRIFY some of you (:rotfl:) was a brand new pair of Doc Marten boots in my size at a time when I DESPERATELY needed some new boots as my current day-to-day ones are falling apart and I was going to buy them full-price as they apparently last forever (which would have seriously hurt my finances, but I'm damned if I buy cheap and buy twice).

Take a bow, small BHF for selling them to me for £49.99 instead of £125.

(I'm still breaking them in, though...that's a bit of a task with DMs!)
    Welcome to the thread.

That's not a bad price, although I do have a pair of flowered ones (bought from the local flea market for £2.00, but that was at least 30 years ago :D).
    I'm a DM fan myself so I feel your pain in breaking them in.
    The most comfortable pair I've ever had is Pamela Chelsea boots.
    There's several pairs on eBay right now that I'm not looking at. Honest.
    Frith wrote: »
    I!!!8217;m sure my hens are traumatised from the terrible line of my cords this morning !
    I hope I didn't offend you with my comment about pockets. :o

It's just that I'm a handbag fan and use a different one every day. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure