What gift to buy for a family using the food bank?

Options
HBee
HBee Posts: 3 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
I would like to buy a gift for a family using our local food bank. I don't know them so this is for an unknown family. I am already donating food so am looking for something different.

In an ideal world if it could be something split into say 4 parcels so each family member could open something, that is theirs but also is something they can play with all together, that would be great.

Don't really want to spend more than £15. Happy to do a bit of diy though!

Does anyone have any ideas?
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Do you know anything about the family? How many adults? How many children? What ages are the children? Without knowing it's hard to suggest ideas.

Maybe you could buy a nice fleece throw and a selection of books they can read as a family?
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Maybe a board game, cards, smaller toys from the pound shop etc that can be packaged up for a couple of families.

You may want to ask the food bank for advice as to what they deem suitable and appropriate for them to distribute.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • HBee
    Options
    I don't know anything about the families they have, i just thought it would be nice to do. I thought of a few ideas that would be just one gift, but would prefer them all to have something to open to relieve the pressure on the parents a bit. I also want something that can be reused and keep them entertained.

Books sounds good, although it reminds me of that video of the boy who wasn't please with books for christmas ��
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a lovely idea, but how will that work in practice.

Will you give the gifts to the foodbank, ringfenced for this family specifically, or are you looking to donate to "whoever"?

Who then chooses the whoever?

If there's not enough gifts for all the families, is it first come, first served?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You may want to ask the food bank for advice as to what they deem suitable and appropriate for them to distribute.

This ^

But if the FB can't provide presents for all their users, they may not want to get involved.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Buy them a chess set, something that can benefit the whole family, especially the children.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rather than buy for just one family ask the FB because maybe a selection of picture books, card games like 'Happy Families' or jigsaws would be suitable. Most of those items can be bought in excellent condition from charity shops.

Personally I'm not greatly in favour of buying from pound shops- most of that is really cheap tatt which breaks easily and is for binning! (I appreciate not all is, you need to be very choosy!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would suggest card games which can cover multi generations, something like uno, or a board game like checkers,
    As for individual gifts each, hat and glove sets are useful and seasonal
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely talk to the FoodBank, for many of the reasons outlined above.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nodosh3
    nodosh3 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it is a very nice thought. I have just been reading a book about people not used to food banks being forced into using them for economic reasons and one thing they say is that when budgeting/scrimping they always have to buy second hand or basic buys and that it is a luxury for example to have hair conditioner or top brand cereal instead of basic stuff, so if it was me and I knew little about the family other than their reliance on food, I would buy some luxury/top of the range food items, say a Christmas cake, quality shower gel, chocolate biscuits, a good moisturising cream etc. Just something not from the bargain basement range. Or a family cinema ticket as outings are generally not on the agenda when families are on strict budgets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure