Travel insurance - any one I should avoid

Options
I'm looking for travel insurance for a couple of upcoming cruises and since being recently diagnosed with a serious (but not life limiting) health condition my included travel insurance via my packaged bank account is not likely to be available.

So I've been doing quotes and am getting decently priced quotes but I have never heard of any of the companies, specifically:

- GetGoing
- InsuraTrip
- Insure For Travel
- NoLimits
- Leisure Guard Travel
- Travel Insurance Saver

All except the last one get 2 star Defaqto rating which concerns me.

Anyone got any bad (or good) experience with the above?

Thanks.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking for travel insurance for a couple of upcoming cruises and since being recently diagnosed with a serious (but not life limiting) health condition my included travel insurance via my packaged bank account is not likely to be available.

So I've been doing quotes and am getting decently priced quotes but I have never heard of any of the companies, specifically:

- GetGoing
    - InsuraTrip
    - Insure For Travel
    - NoLimits
    - Leisure Guard Travel
    - Travel Insurance Saver

Thanks.

If you want some insight into how your claim may be handled, look into who handles the claims for the particular policy.
    For example, the last on your list states; Travel Claims Facilities 0203 829 6761

which leads to https://www.tifgroup.co.uk/policyholders/

which leads to; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46274918

I'm not drawing any inferences, just posting what I have found.

So, that is how you do your research. Don't just look for the cheapest you can find.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't just go for what's cheap. Check cover limits and exclusions and look at reviews too
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

- GetGoing
    - InsuraTrip
    - Insure For Travel
    - NoLimits
    - Leisure Guard Travel
    - Travel Insurance Saver

Thanks.

Who is your packaged account with?

Ours is Nationwide and we have upgraded their basic policy to cover worldwide for a 69 & 72 year old couple, both with multiple health issues, for a very reasonable £325. Comparable policies elsewhere ranged from around £750 to well over £1k:eek:

What I'm saying is, don't automatically write it off without checking
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The De Facto star rating simply tells you what is included in the policy: you may not need the cover that is provided by a five star policy rather than a two star policy. What does matter is how the underwriter handles any claims, and that is where post ##2 is critically important to you.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 October 2019 at 6:24PM
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Who is your packaged account with?
    Nationwide too. Both my wife and I are under 70.

When I got quotes from other companies the annual premium were from around £140 upwards.

As it turned out when I contacted the Nationwide provider and declared my condition, they said they would cover it for no extra charge. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nationwide too. Both my wife and I are under 70.

When I got quotes from other companies the annual premium were from around £140 upwards.

As it turned out when I contacted the Nationwide provider and declared my condition, they said they would cover it for no extra charge. I was pleasantly surprised.

I won't say 'Told you so':D

As an aside, both my husband & I had to claim on our Nationwide policy last year due to Dengue Fever (I spent a week in hospital).

Although the claims process for uploading documents afterwards was a PITA, they paid everything fairly promptly without too much discussion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure