Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

If they haven't got your names, then i would be tempted to ignore them, as you are correct, it is not your debt, and you are under no obligation to do there jobs for them.

Its the previous tenants they want to be talking too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • andouk
    andouk Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

If they haven't got your names, then i would be tempted to ignore them, as you are correct, it is not your debt, and you are under no obligation to do there jobs for them.

Its the previous tenants they want to be talking too.

Thanks, we can easily prove that we do not owe this debt with a tenancy agreement but as they seem like they'll do anything to recover a debt, I won't be doing that unless absolutely necessary, as at the moment they're clutching at straws.

I just don't want our information being given to them.
  • Pinksoph96
    Options
    LCS will only trace your information if left ignored. The occupier/legal owner letters go out to gain information, hence why it says “investigation” if you have evidence to show your not liable, send it to them. They aren’t there to put the blame on innocent people - they would be more than happy to clear your name.

Send it via email to contact@lcsdr.com quoting your case ref on the subject line, then at least there is no risk of your credit report being impacted if they do trace your info. 😊
  • Pinksoph96
    Options
    They don’t buy debt. They work on their behalf. They couldn’t write it on their website if they did buy debt, they are regulated by the FCA so they are in line with all the correct regulations. If they wasn’t they’d be shut down, do not believe all the comments on this thread. They are people who think they know how it all works, it’s quite laughable to read. If you don’t owe debt I’m sure you have evidence to prove otherwise.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Pinksoph96 wrote: »
    LCS will only trace your information if left ignored. The occupier/legal owner letters go out to gain information, hence why it says “investigation” if you have evidence to show your not liable, send it to them. They aren’t there to put the blame on innocent people - they would be more than happy to clear your name.

Send it via email to contact@lcsdr.com quoting your case ref on the subject line, then at least there is no risk of your credit report being impacted if they do trace your info. 😊
    Pinksoph96 wrote: »
    They don’t buy debt. They work on their behalf. They couldn’t write it on their website if they did buy debt, they are regulated by the FCA so they are in line with all the correct regulations. If they wasn’t they’d be shut down, do not believe all the comments on this thread. They are people who think they know how it all works, it’s quite laughable to read. If you don’t owe debt I’m sure you have evidence to prove otherwise.

How long have you worked (did you work) for them?

Did LCS make you aware of the specific requirements that the OFT made to this organisation?
  • filly_18
    Options
    I'm a landlord and received a demand for an unpaid debt to a utility company for a property that was empty for about 6 months.
    I'm probably liable for the debt but want to see the invoice. I've spoken to them 4 times on the phone and despite saying they will email it to me twice, they haven't and just keep sending me demands.
    I'm going to write to them and say that until they send me the invoice, I'm going to ignore any future demands.

Does anyone have a view on whether I'm legally in a good position with that?
    Cheers
  • fatbelly
    edited 21 December 2018 at 11:35AM
    Options
    filly_18 wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and received a demand for an unpaid debt to a utility company for a property that was empty for about 6 months.
    I'm probably liable for the debt but want to see the invoice. I've spoken to them 4 times on the phone and despite saying they will email it to me twice, they haven't and just keep sending me demands.
    I'm going to write to them and say that until they send me the invoice, I'm going to ignore any future demands.

Cheers

Absolutely

You don't owe any money to LCS

And if they claim you owe money to someone they are acting for they must prove that.

Head your letter 'formal complaint' and say that you require a final response within 8 weeks.

You can then complain using the links in this post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72974617&postcount=277
  • SensibleSally
    Options
    filly_18 wrote: »

Cheers

I had a similar situation in 2015. I owed some money, but not all that they were claiming for. I wanted to see the breakdown before I paid them.

Sure enough they had calculated it wrong and were charging me for a period before I moved into a property. I disputed paying until they corrected the amount. They never did - and I've never paid a penny. Nearly 4 years later, not heard a peep, credit score unaffected.
  • NoTB
    NoTB Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello,

I am currently dealing with LCS.

Backstory;

I was in a rented house from Jan-17 to mid-July 18. I bought my own property in July and had filed the 4 week notice period in June to the landlord, all was fine and dandy.

The landlord and I had several disagreements when it came to the returning of the deposit which ultimately went in my favor as they were being ridiculous so I received the £1,000 back in full.

In November I receive a letter from LCS advising I owed monies for utilities for the months of July, August and September. I have in writing the landlord advising me not to worry about utilities, he will sort it out himself as we just wanted to cut ties with one another.

Turns out he never and LCS are chasing me for £300+. I have provided proof from the council by way of change of address forms, correspondence relating to my moving out of one property and into the new etc etc. LCS are refusing to take this as proof as the landlord is stating I was there until September despite me showing the proof from the landlord that they will sort the utility provider.

They want a copy of my tenancy agreement which I have requested from the landlord (he is now ignoring me) or confirmation on headed paper from the estate agent (landlords brother!!) that I'm not liable.

I have countered and said the council have provided proof off of their own accord however LCS are still pestering me daily for the full amount.

I, in an effort to make a goodwill gesture, said I'd pay for the full of July despite moving out around the 12th and already having made a final payment to the utility provider.

I've also asked them to prove I am liable for this money owed as the council have proved I was not actually present in said property and confirmed three times in separate letters from different people and LCS' response was to send me a bill showing June was paid however July-Sep has not been.

How can I get these guys to just !!!! off and stop chasing me for something I'm not liable for?

Thanks!
    December 2018 (MSE Joining date)- Unsecured debt: 2018: £52k2019: 45k2020: £33k 2021: £25k2022: £19k2023: £TBC- Mortgage debt:2019: £124k2021: £118k2022: £113k2023: £TBC
  • fatbelly
    Options
    See my post #328 just above

You have asked them to prove this debt. It's their responsibility to prove this, not yours to disprove it. These are the FCA requirements that Pinksoph96 (see above) assures us they are fully compliant with.

They have 8 weeks to reply- you may wish to remind them at the halfway point. Feel free to quote the guidance in the standard prove-it letter

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

Then complain using my links in #328

Hopefully they'll have their licence revoked
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family