Car Parked over dropped kerb blocking home owners car in

Options
no.1swimmum
no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
AS the title says, my parents awoke this morning to find a car parked over/on their dropped kerb, blocking their car in the front garden.

Following numerous phone calls local community police officer came around late this afternoon, and told them that its taxed, insured and has a mot and has not been reported stolen and they (the police) can't do anything about it - oh just to add the owner lives a long, long way away but would not tell them where, and they won't contact them as its not reported stolen. The only thing he said he could do was contact the council for them to put a ticket on it as its illegially parked!!!

Is this right! My parents have appointments etc they need to get to but can't get the car out!

Any ideas on how to get the car moved, it could be parked there for days at this rate, and they are meant to be going away on a short break in a couple of days.
Fibro-Warrior

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Call back tell them it's causing an unnecessary obstruction preventing them for accessing the highway and ask them to move it.

It will be at the owners expense.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    That is not correct. It is illegal to block someone in by parking on a dropped curb and the police are obliged to find the owner and get them to move it or have it towed away. I have a dropped curb and called police three times and each time they dealt with it.

Note however that it only applies if your car is blocked in on your driveway. If you come back and find someone parked over the driveway apparently that's just tough.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That is not correct. It is illegal to block someone in by parking on a dropped curb and the police are obliged to find the owner and get them to move it or have it towed away. I have a dropped curb and called police three times and each time they dealt with it.

Note however that it only applies if your car is blocked in on your driveway. If you come back and find someone parked over the driveway apparently that's just tough.

It depends if parking control has been devolved to the council or not. In some areas the police deal with parking, in others it's the council.

The advice to ring the council may well have been correct and the op should try this.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Go on then why must a PCSO do that and under what powers than they do it?
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go on then why must a PCSO do that and under what powers than they do it?

Why are your posts so often so abrasive? Are you a police officer?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What did your parents say when told of this? If they just said something to the effect of 'ok' then nothing will be done. They need to be firmer stating it is unacceptable and for the office to check with someone more senior to see what can be done.

Do they have hospital/doctors appointments that need attending, show the letters and make a fuss.

Before the above have they tried knocking down the street to see if anyone has the car owners visiting?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is illegal to block someone in but not to block someone out !!
    ie) If you find that someone is preventing you from leaving your driveway - the police can take action

but if you return and find that someone is blocking you from parking - that is tough
    The law can be an a rse !
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies.

I drove past my parents this morning and the car is still there!

They have tried, with the help of neighbours, pushing it but it would not move - and aparantly they did this infront of the PO who was quite annimated in telling them they couldn't do that! This didn't go down particularly well with Dad, who asked him again what he would do, and he replied ' we can't move it, I'll contact the council and get them to clamp it and give them a fine'. This did not please Dad at all who told him that would be stupid as it would be there even longer if it was clamped as our local council do not have the facilities to tow vehicles. (the council have recently told me this when i raised an issue about non-permit holders constantly parking in our road and getting numerous fines - and as they are foreign plate vehicles they are i'm sure not being paid - but thats a different issue!)

I will tell Dad to ring the police again and ask for it to be moved at the owners expernse as it is blocking his access to the highway!!!
    Fibro-Warrior
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If it's devolved parking enforcement (which it most probably is, police rarely want to do parking tickets these days) then it is up to the council to tow not the police. The PCSO will be of little help as they will have no power to do anything.

The council can do what most other councils do and get a local recovery company with a secure yard to tow it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure