Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @savetilibleed

You can change your direct debit on-line at any time (except for the 2 month period before the yearly anniversary of your account opening). If you wish to change the direct debit in months 11 or 12 you have to phone E.on and discuss the change with them.

I believe the most you can change it by on-line is 20%.

You can submit meter readings whenever you wish (up to 52 times a year) and you will be asked if you want a bill to be generated at the time. As you can change the direct debit yourself (as above), you could change it then if you think it necessary.

If you find you have a credit balance which you believe will not be needed to cover any future bill then call and ask for the money back. On the yearly anniversary, E.on will return any credit balance if it is above a certain amount (I believe £50)
  • savetilibleed
    Options
    @gsmlnx

Thank you....very useful!
  • elizabeth2015
    Options
    I'm leaving Eon. Not because I havent been happy with them, but because they have been too slow in coming up with a new fixed tariff that is comparable to the old one. As my tariff was ending I applied for a better tariff than the variable option. The first new tariff appeared about day 12 of the move but wasnt as good anyway. I now find there is an new improved tariff which I would happily have moved to - but I am now 4 weeks into my move.
    Perhaps they dropped the tariff because people were leaving for cheaper tariffs elsewhere, like myself.:o sigh
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 January 2016 at 5:15PM
    Options
    I'm leaving Eon. Not because I havent been happy with them, but because they have been too slow in coming up with a new fixed tariff that is comparable to the old one. As my tariff was ending I applied for a better tariff than the variable option. The first new tariff appeared about day 12 of the move but wasnt as good anyway. I now find there is an new improved tariff which I would happily have moved to - but I am now 4 weeks into my move.
    Perhaps they dropped the tariff because people were leaving for cheaper tariffs elsewhere, like myself.:o sigh

Nothing stops you moving back to Eon if they will be cheaper, including, of course, any exit fees payable.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As bills are issued quarterly, as if we were actually paying quarterly as we used to with EDF and BG, is this for information only? Or can this be used to change our DD if necessary, or is that sort of change only by mutual agreement? We would definately like to see how it compares to a similar quarter last year anyway in terms of comsumption. It won't compare accurately as the billing period will be different (I think).

Hi savetilibleed

As you pay with a Monthly Direct Debit, your quarterly statements will be to let you know how things are going. They'll show the meter readings and prices that make up the charges as well as any credit/debit balance at the time they were raised.

Payments are spread over 12 months and are based on current prices and past usage. As you've not been a customer long, we'll use information given us by the electricity/gas distributor when you switched to us. The longer you're with us, the more we'll rely on your readings.

We review payment arrangements quarterly but will only look to make a change, if necessary, at the midpoint and annual reviews. At the other times, we'll let you know if we think your monthly payments should change but leave it up to you to make any alterations. We do these reviews to make sure your account is on track to cover usage and achieve as close as possible to a zero balance by the annual review. At this time, any credit over a fiver is automatically refunded to your bank. A debit balance will be included in the ongoing arrangement and spread up to the next review. Before changing anything, though, we'll be in touch to let you know. This will be 14 days before the proposed change.

As gsmlnx says, you can take more control of the arrangement, including altering the payments, through an online tool called the 'Direct Debit Manager.' Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. You'll need to have registered with our website to use this tool.

The billing date is in line with when your meter is due to be read. This doesn't change when you switch supplier. What may happen, though, is your first bill may be shorter or longer than a full quarter. It depends on the date the switch completed. After this, it'll return to quarterly periods as per the schedule of the meter readers for the area.

As gsmlnx also points out and I mentioned in my reply to you above (post 537), you can use the online 'Real Billing Tool' to create your own bills. Might help when comparing specific periods.

Hope this answers your questions savetilibleed. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @savetilibleed

You can change your direct debit on-line at any time (except for the 2 month period before the yearly anniversary of your account opening). If you wish to change the direct debit in months 11 or 12 you have to phone E.on and discuss the change with them.

I believe the most you can change it by on-line is 20%.

You can submit meter readings whenever you wish (up to 52 times a year) and you will be asked if you want a bill to be generated at the time. As you can change the direct debit yourself (as above), you could change it then if you think it necessary.

If you find you have a credit balance which you believe will not be needed to cover any future bill then call and ask for the money back. On the yearly anniversary, E.on will return any credit balance if it is above a certain amount (I believe £50)

Spot on as usual gsmlnx. The only thing I'd mention is, at the annual Monthly Direct Debit review, any credit balance over a fiver is automatically refunded.

Thanks.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Sosumi
    Sosumi Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options

The only thing I'd mention is, at the annual Monthly Direct Debit review, any credit balance over a fiver is automatically refunded.

Thanks.

Malc

Malc,

Can one elect, instead, to leave it in situ, as a credit balance?

It would be nice to get a refund and start anew if one’s Annual Review occurs (as mine does) in April, but, if someone’s Annual Review takes place at the beginning of December they would then have no accumulated buffer to see them through the winter and they would have to move on to a greatly increased monthly Direct Debit to cover that.

Personally, I prefer to have a low Direct Debit, based on an estimated annual projection (mine, and carefully worked out) for a mild winter, and then top-up my account, if necessary, with a couple of one-off payments if the winter turns out to be a severe one.

Rather that than build up a huge credit balance from an inflated monthly Direct Debit running on through the summer.
    Options
    Sosumi wrote: »
    Malc,

Can one elect, instead, to leave it in situ, as a credit balance?

It would be nice to get a refund and start anew if one’s Annual Review occurs (as mine does) in April, but, if someone’s Annual Review takes place at the beginning of December they would then have no accumulated buffer to see them through the winter and they would have to move on to a greatly increased monthly Direct Debit to cover that.

Personally, I prefer to have a low Direct Debit, based on an estimated annual projection (mine, and carefully worked out) for a mild winter, and then top-up my account, if necessary, with a couple of one-off payments if the winter turns out to be a severe one.

Rather that than build up a huge credit balance from an inflated monthly Direct Debit running on through the summer.

Hi Sosumi and welcome to the Forums.

I'm afraid not. At the annual review, anything over a fiver is automatically refunded. This is part of our commitment not to hang on to credit balances longer than necessary. The customer does have the option of giving it us back but this would have an impact on how future reviews are looked at. Calculations would be affected as there would be excessive credit on the account compared with how much energy we expect to be used.

With our Monthly Direct Debits, we look to spread the cost evenly over 12 months. The amount is based on current prices and past usage. We aim to achieve as near as we can to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. This isn't always possible as individual circumstances change. This is why we've built in the automatic annual refund. It acts as a safeguard to make sure we're not hanging on to a customer's money longer than we need to. To help with this, we've the online 'Direct Debit Manager' I mentioned to savetilibleed in post 546 above. Gives customers more control over the arrangement and lets them make changes to better suit different circumstances.

Certainly, customers with an arrangement starting in December will more than likely see a debit balance during the early stages of an agreement. This should, though, even out as we go into spring and summer. We review arrangements regularly to make sure customers are on track for a zero balance.

Hope this helps Sosumi. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 February 2016 at 10:23PM
    Options
    A quick question over changing Eon tariffs.

When submitting meter reading (following a tariff switch) do customers need to generate a bill instantly or will the billing system automatically use the reading to pro-rata the usage correctly between the tariffs at the next regular bill?

Many thanks
    Sunil
    Options
    Sorry Sunil. Missed your question.

It depends whether or not you're in the 'billing window.' For quarterly customers, this is open 14 days either side of the next bill date. The first set of meter readings entered whilst the window is open automatically creates a bill. If this coincides with a tariff change then, yes, a bill will be issued up to the readings entered on the old tariff and then on the new tariff going forward.

Readings entered outside of the window are recorded but not used for billing. In this case, it's best to use our online service 'Real time Billing' to create your own bill. This will make sure the tariff change happens to actual meter readings. To do this, please choose 'Request a Bill' once you've entered the readings (this option isn't available if inside the window).

Where we don't have readings for the day of the tariff change, we'll use estimates based on past usage.

Sorry again for the late reply Sunil but hope this answers your question.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback