memory foam mattress is too hot

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd start by turning off your heating overnight. Try it and see, if it's a solution it's cost you nothing and actually saved money.

If that makes no iddference, I wonder if one of the cooling pillows would help? I've never tried one but I find if my face is cool when trying to sleep, the rest of my body cools down too.
  • joe10190
    Options
    thanks for the replies. i have tried sleeping with the heating off and am still too hot on some nights.

thanks
    darrell
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    The OP said they'd bought it second hand. I don't think the original manufacturer will take it back.

Ah, thanks. Missed the abbreviation.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have heard the cooling dog mats are good to put under sheets too.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I couldn't sleep with the heating on, even with a sprung mattress, in Winter, with a 2 to quilt! I'd boil! I wouldn't even have the heating on in my bedroom during the day!

Unfortunately you're learning what everyone with foam mattresses do - that they are far, far hotter than sprung mattresses. I bought a foam mattress for my back (I have no disc between two of my vertebrae, and one mostly missing disc, so I have no option but to sleep on my back with my legs over a large pillow to keep my back flat and supported), and it was amazing in helping me wake up without pain. But I had to move to a very firm sprung mattress after a couple of months as the heat was too much.

The only thing I found worked was sleeping under a sheet, with the window open. And in the end, I changed mattress to a very very firm sprung one. Took a while to get used to, but it made all the difference.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • joe10190
    Options
    thanks for all the replies. did anyone with foam mattress heat issues have the same issues with using a slatted bed base as opposed to a divan base? It is recommended to use a slatted bed base with a foam mattress if over heating is an issue. Finances are too tight for me to buy a new base but i am keeping my eye for a suitable s/h base that is local and in good condition. I would need a base that is open ended at the bottom as my height caused issues with bed bases with a raised end.
    thanks
    darrell
  • d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a mattress with 3cm of memory foam and the rest is another type of foam, which is supposed to be breathable. I have a slatted bed base. Also all of my bedding is breathable including my duvet. I don't get too hot but sorry to say that I don't know if it's because of the small amount of memory foam/bed base/bedding or a combination of them.
  • joe10190
    Options
    Thanks for the reply dOnna.

Do you have any more information on the bedding types you have? I am looking for specific recommendations for specific products. I really like the comfort the mattress gives, so would like to carry on using it if possible.

I assume you had no problems last summer during the heat wave in UK. I am in Lancashire and had several very difficult nights sleeping. It obviously depends on where abouts you liv.
    thanks again
    darrell
  • d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately I cannot comment on what my mattress is like in the summer as I've only had it since September. From speaking to a few people who have owned a memory foam mattress in the past, they have all said that it was boiling all year around. I don't find that at all with mine so far, neither does my partner or child who has exactly the same set up. My heating has come on in the night the last week or so with no problems. I have noticed the difference from this time last year when I had a spring mattress and different bedding. I used to get quite hot and uncomfortable if the heating came on.

I decided on purchasing a mattress with a little bit of memory foam because I wanted support and comfort but I didn't want to overheat and this works for me. I didn't pay a lot for my mattress compared to others I was considering purchasing so I did some research and paid more than what I usually would to purchase breathable bedding. Below are the links of the bedding that I purchased, this may not necessarily work for you alone though and you may be able to find items cheaper depending on your budget. I don't know what type of bedding you currently have but I'm assuming anything breathable could improve your situation.

Mattress protector
    https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-natural-cotton-quilted-mattress-protector/p1743106?size=double-135-x-190cm

Pillow protector
    https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-natural-cotton-quilted-standard-pillow-protector/p1743107

Duvet
    https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_312014300780_-1 (Was £60 when I purchased it)

Duvet set
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8202460
  • joe10190
    Options
    Thanks dOnna for the reply and the links. I will check them out. I am using a 4.5 Tog quilt I have just bought a "coolmax memory foam mattress protector" as the reviews suggested it helps with the overheating of foam mattresses. I will experiment with it over the next few weeks and see how i go. I have also dug out my spare quilt cover/pillowcases which is 100 % Egyptian cotton though i am not sure of the thread count. I may need to experiment with the other links and with my already exising duvets, even though they are made from synthetic materials. I cannot afford to try all the options but i do have my old slatted bed base ( it is a king size and the current mattress is only a double. I only paid £ 50 for a Silentnight Sudio Firmer mattress that is virtually new and that retails at over £ 400) that i will also dig out and try out again.
    Are you using your 4.5 Tog or the 9.0 Tog at the moment?
    thanks
    darrell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family