Best Budget Sat Nav

Options

Comments

• Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Majic wrote: »
    How quick does it update for traffic congestion, alternative routes?

Got rid of satnav a while back, and also dont use the car one either - I always use google maps for this reason... updates very quickly with congestion, accidents etc and alternate routes if it will save you some time.
    there are settings you can adjust to personalise yourself as well (avoiding country roads, tolls etc
    as info, the app shows i only used 64mb of data over the weekend, which involved 500 miles driving, with googlemaps live
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks, but would like sat nav advice
    The advice is: use waze.
  • Majic
    Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you use waze at the same time as google maps or one or the other?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you use waze at the same time as google maps or one or the other?
    One or the other, why would you want to use both. I know you said you only have a basic phone but you could get a decent enough android phone for less than it would cost for a new satnav.
  • Majic
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    One or the other, why would you want to use both. I know you said you only have a basic phone but you could get a decent enough android phone for less than it would cost for a new satnav.[/QUO

I've clarified, I've got google maps on my phone (perhaps it's not as basic as I thought) I'll give it a try
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you prefer the familiarity of Tom Tom you could download the Tom Tom Go mobile app to try. It's free for 50 miles each month but then you have to pay.

'Here Wego' is another free one which gets good reviews. Try them all and see which you prefer.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Even if you don't have/want/need a data allowance, you can use even a relatively low-spec smartphone for nav. Sygic has offline mapping, and the basic functionality is free.

But if you really don't have or want even a basic smartphone, then there's no option but buying a standalone device. It would almost certainly be cheaper to buy the phone, though, and certainly give a better end result.
    £50 for something like this...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D9BQWYW
  • Majic
    Options
    Some great help an here, thanks everyone
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    What's wrong with Google Maps on your phone?

Absolutely nothing. It works fine.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    I've checked and I do have google maps on my phone. Been reading some reviews comparing sat navs to google maps and seems to be if you can afford it and travel a lot sat navs are still better overall.

I would like to try google maps, if I enter a destination do I get speed cameras, live traffic and alternative routes if quicker, once starting journey?

Google maps uses the location of all the Android smartphones and any other device using google maps plus other information to build up very accurate traffic maps. Due to the massive amount of data they have access too you won't get a more accurate traffic map from any other provider (but other providers do use this data).

So when you put in a destination you will get a very accurate arrival time and the best route, which will also update if there is a faster route as you are travelling.

Plus you also have the latest up to date maps when using it.

No standalone Sat Nav will come close to this level of accuracy so i personally see them as pretty much redundant these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure