Wood Burning Stoves

Options

Comments

• owen_money
    Options
    I've got a stove but don't live in a smoke free zone so can burn what I like. THB I only burn well seasoned wood, mostly kilned dried as poor quality wood will smolder and kill the flue. If the neighbours (on one side) dont like the smell they can move to a smoke free zone, wish they wood (would) as they are miserable gits :) The other side like the smell
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I was referring to the smell - not the effects!

The evil smell from the cocktails of candles is much worse than the smell of wood burning - in my opinion!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »

The evil smell from the cocktails of candles is much worse than the smell of wood burning - in my opinion!

You must have tried the wrong candles as some smell lovely. The smell of wood smoke from a bonfire is fine, but that from home stoves seems much more concentrated (enough to make me cough, choke or feel suffocated, at peak use time; the next two houses to one side of us has burners).

One neighbour has been using thei rs for the last two nights,but their smell and smoke is much weaker than the other neighbour's (who has a building firm and probably disposes of wood this way).
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    owen_money wrote: »
    I've got a stove but don't live in a smoke free zone so can burn what I like. THB I only burn well seasoned wood, mostly kilned dried as poor quality wood will smolder and kill the flue. If the neighbours (on one side) dont like the smell they can move to a smoke free zone, wish they wood (would) as they are miserable gits :) The other side like the smell

And we wonder why people can't just get along.
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    Gers wrote: »

Smokers say the same - until they give up. Anyhow, apologies for introducing something as trivial as health effects. Tastes and fads are so much more important, dontcha agree?
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    Stop breathing, stop farting and oh my do not eat anything. The pollution will kill you. :)

After going to a bonfire the smell on our clothes the next morning is horrible.

Don't quote me on this, but I suspect the difference is: you didn't have to go to the bonfire.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely, if you move into an area where the houses have chimneys, it isn't unreasonable to expect smoke to be emitted from them.
  • Sledgehead
    Sledgehead Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2017 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Surely, if you move into an area where the houses have chimneys, it isn't unreasonable to expect smoke to be emitted from them.

London is full of houses with chimneys. And it was in 1956 when they passed the Clean Air Act. Presumably, as well as insisting only smokeless fuels be burned, you would have had people tear down their chimneys, yes? Cars have maybe 120mph on their speedometers. Presumably, according to you, given a car has 120 on its speed dial, it would not be unreasonable to drive it at such a speed? Do you wish I should continue, or have you seen tthe chink in your logic?
  • Sledgehead
    Options
    Here's some amusing stuff for all the slickers who so dearly love their modern life, they feel the need to connect to the past by burning stuff as if they were Ray Mears:
    When families in developing countries burn wood and dung in their homes for cooking and warmth, the fires produce levels of pollution that lead to the premature deaths of about 2 million people each year, more than either malaria or tuberculosis.

This disturbing news is discussed in a 2012 interview with Dr. Kirk R. Smith, a member of the National Academy of Sciences and Professor of Global Environmental Health at the University of California at Berkeley.

Dr. Smith has spent decades studying the health effects of indoor air pollution due to biomass burning on women and children in developing countries.

Dr. Smith notes that there are parallels between the dangers of cigarette smoke and wood smoke. “Most people recognize that the worst thing you can do is stick burning stuff in your mouth. The second worst thing is to have burning stuff inside your house…”

According to Smith, “A fire in the kitchen, if you’re cooking a meal, produces about the same pollution per hour in a typical house as a thousand cigarettes burning. So, if you think about a thousand cigarettes burning inside your kitchen, it’s not surprising that there are significant health effects. The big difference is that children and babies don’t smoke, but they are in kitchens and are also being exposed to the household pollution, so there’s a large impact on children.”

- Families For Clean Air
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had a wood burning stove for 8 years now and in that time I burnt odd pallet broken up which gave off so much heat and burnt quickly along with seasoned logs. But past 5 years I burn only wood briquttes which currently 2 years on trot are Verdo. Dont think they give off the smell or smoke and very little ash also, but cant beat the seasoned logs for effect although wood briquttes give of more heat and last longer as well as take up less to store.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure