PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your tenant growing cannabis?

Options

Comments

• m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    Options
    My sister's neighbours in Leicester decided to move and rented out their property. The tenants who moved in put up very clever window covers that were photographs that looked as though you were looking into a normal room from the outside. They then started a cannibis farm and bypassed the electricity meter.

They were caught - I think by the police using heat sensitive cameras to identify very hot houses - and the landlord quite shocked. The house was a complete wreck mainly due to the fact that it had been turned into a greenhouse.

I think regular inspections are the only to discover these but it's frightening.
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    If your tenants are growing cannabis would you grass them up.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    m_13 wrote: »
    My sister's neighbours in Leicester decided to move and rented out their property. The tenants who moved in put up very clever window covers that were photographs that looked as though you were looking into a normal room from the outside.

Intrigued! I could do this and then the neighbours would think my house was tidy if they looked in
    :)
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    They then started a cannibis farm and bypassed the electricity meter.

They were caught - I think by the police using heat sensitive cameras to identify very hot houses - and the landlord quite shocked. The house was a complete wreck mainly due to the fact that it had been turned into a greenhouse.

I think regular inspections are the only to discover these but it's frightening.

Lesson being:

"If you want to grow weed in your home (or someone elses) go for a home energy grant & make sure you have adequate insulation first"
    Not Again
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, recently evicted tenants were growing plants and were smoking their heads off, their young teenage children included. They could barely function.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    About a year ago I surveyed a house for a landlord, who lived about 200 miles away. The house was in very good condition and well above the minimum standards required for renting. He seemed an excellent landlord and had a very good agent to sort things out locally.

Six months later I was due to visit again. I discovered that the place had been turned into a cannabis factory. The electricity meter had been bypassed but the electric company estimated the bill to be three grand. They wanted their money. "How on earth do they know how much juice has been used if the meter has been bypassed?" I asked. Apparently they can estimate it fairly accurately by the size and number of the plants.

Whereas landlords who live locally can keep an eye on their rental houses, distant ones can't. And I very much doubt that local agents can be bothered to be particularly vigilant.
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    I am advertising a property at the moment, and because of recent episodes in Devon and Cornwall I am trying to bear all of this in mind. The past tenants in all honesty only had one plant for their own use, but a factory would be a whole different kettle of fish!!:eek:

Any idea of the nationality of the tenants, as going on recent stories down here, there seems to be a running theme of Vietnamese being involved?

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • russ21282
    russ21282 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    They were caught - I think by the police using heat sensitive cameras to identify very hot houses

Apparently they don't do that. It would cost far too much to fly around cities using thermal imaging cameras to catch a few weed growers. They are usually caught by, bypassing the meter or stealing a neighbours electric or somebody reporting suspicious activity!
  • TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    I've heard that thermal imaging cameras in helicopters is the way they do it. Certainly I regularly see a helicopter overhead. I guess it must be police by the way they hover about, not appearing to go anywhere. Whether they're checking for weed growers or searching for other miscreants I couldn't tell you but the eye in the sky is certainly there.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    They act on inteligence gathered from the public. We're always being asked to look out for them in our homewatch newsletter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure