November 2013-Take Your Lunch To Work Thread

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh my god, we have new people!! :D
    Welcome want_to_save and Townses, i will add you to the list :)
  • dreamer1989
    Options
    Can I join too? I basically make my lunch everyday, but Im startig a new job tomorrow, and dont want laziness to creep in and mean I buy lunches when I know full well I CAN make my own!
    Tesco Credit Card - £946.47 as of 03/01/2014
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Hi Dreamer, welcome :) What number would you like to aim for?
  • dreamer1989
    Options
    20 please :)
    Tesco Credit Card - £946.47 as of 03/01/2014
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone remember me?

I was here when the threads first started, then was signed off sick from work so couldn't take lunch anywhere, but have now started a new job - which is in the middle of the town and the shops are starting to seem more appealing again :(
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• WantToBeSE
    Options
    20 please :)

Done :) And good luck with the new job!
    juno wrote: »
    Does anyone remember me?

I was here when the threads first started, then was signed off sick from work so couldn't take lunch anywhere, but have now started a new job - which is in the middle of the town and the shops are starting to seem more appealing again :(

Hi Juno, sorry to hear about you being signed off work sick. great to hear that you are feeling well enough to start a new job though, well done :)
    How many days would you like to aim for?
  • Dozey_crow
    Dozey_crow Posts: 312 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2013 at 9:42PM
    Options
    Hello everyone....

Now we can get the party started :rotfl::T... of course it is a bring a dish party in keeping with the thread :)

Good luck to dreamer and Juno starting a new job. I did that two months ago after 9 years working as hoc pt hours and on a nightmare post graduate course... and I have never been happier :).

My workplace is also town centre and I was worried about the shops but have done really well. I look at the sandwich shops in amazement :£2.60 for an egg mayo sarnie :eek: I mean really...:eek:

I go window shopping and have a small budget for things, for example I bought some baking trays that we needed from a very reputable store reduced from £20. To £5 at the end of the week.

It's not as hard as you may expect. I have Made a point of going for coffee with colleagues though and have been for a team lunch twice too. I just don't buy extra food daily.
  • Townses
    Townses Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also very tempted at lunchtime, m&s is literally two minutes walk from work and is so tempting some days but i will resist!!
  • StudentMam_2
    Options
    Count me in for 19 please?
    On a mix of early and late shifts this month so will be some breakfast/lunch days and some dinner/tea days.
    New DFW
    Debts at LBM September 2013:
    CC: £788 OD: £1900 Loan: £2100 Bank of OH Dad: £1860
    Take Your Lunch to Work Challenge November: 3/19
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Dozey_crow wrote: »
    Hello everyone....

Now we can get the party started :rotfl::T... of course it is a bring a dish party in keeping with the thread :)

Good luck to dreamer and Juno starting a new job. I did that two months ago after 9 years working as hoc pt hours and on a nightmare post graduate course... and I have never been happier :).

My workplace is also town centre and I was worried about the shops but have done really well. I look at the sandwich shops in amazement :£2.60 for an egg mayo sarnie :eek: I mean really...:eek:

I go window shopping and have a small budget for things, for example I bought some baking trays that we needed from a very reputable store reduced from £20. To £5 at the end of the week.

It's not as hard as you may expect. I have Made a point of going for coffee with colleagues though and have been for a team lunch twice too. I just don't buy extra food daily.
    Everyone at work seems to start the day by bringing in a Starbucks etc - but they drink it at work, and we get free tea/coffee provided.

I also buy porridge (Oats So Simple type sachets) from the poundshop - £1 for a box of 8. Other people spend £1 on the same stuff but in a pot instead, and obviously that's only one portion.
    Townses wrote: »
    I'm also very tempted at lunchtime, m&s is literally two minutes walk from work and is so tempting some days but i will resist!!
    Luckily, M+S is a bit too far away to visit, or I would just end up eating a bag of Percy Pigs for lunch.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Hi Juno, sorry to hear about you being signed off work sick. great to hear that you are feeling well enough to start a new job though, well done :)
    How many days would you like to aim for?

Count me in for 20 please! I do occasional overtime, so may end up working more than 20 days, but I think that's a nice target to aim for.

I was signed off pretty much at the start of the year and started my new job in May, but it's taken this long for things to start getting better and for me to start feeling "me" again.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills