Change from lead to plastic water pipe, meter not reinstalled.

I have been living in my property for the past 18 years it came pre-installed with a meter. Recently I applied for a the free lead replacement scheme. To upgrade my property water supply from the old lead piping to new plastic MDPE pipe. My water board Severn Trent Water did the connection about 2 months ago but they have not installed a meter. Now I would like to be put on rateable value tariff, since a water meter is not suitable for me financially, as I pay significantly more then my neighbours and I don't have a heavy water usage . Since they have not installed a meter on the new water line, can it stay that way or will Severn Trent Water eventually return to install a meter. Is this my opportunity to get rid of the meter? What Should I do?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

There is no possibility of you ever having water charges based on your property's old Rateable Value(RV). Read Ofwat regulations for clarification.

If a meter can be fitted, that will be the basis of your charges. If for any reason a meter cannot be fitted you might get an assessed rate.
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    avgtech wrote: »
    I have been living in my property for the past 18 years it came pre-installed with a meter. Recently I applied for a the free lead replacement scheme. To upgrade my property water supply from the old lead piping to new plastic MDPE pipe. My water board Severn Trent Water did the connection about 2 months ago but they have not installed a meter. Now I would like to be put on rateable value tariff, since a water meter is not suitable for me financially, as I pay significantly more then my neighbours and I don't have a heavy water usage . Since they have not installed a meter on the new water line, can it stay that way or will Severn Trent Water eventually return to install a meter. Is this my opportunity to get rid of the meter? What Should I do?
    What is happening in your area, do they have compulsory water meter installation as it is deemed to be water shortage area.

AFAIK if it is water shortage area, they can install water meter, if it is not water shortage area you can stay on or revert back to rateable value.

Obviously if they have not installed meter, but you are still on water meter charging, there is mismatch in your account, which will need resolving sometime.

Maybe you can get rid of meter if there is no compulsory installation in your area.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    i bet they forgot to fit the meter , will be flagged when its next due to be read as the meter reader wont find it, you wont be able to switch back to rv as the original meter has been there 18 years
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've found applying for an assessed charge is by far the cheapest option, there are two of us at home, when we moved in we were charged on the old rateable value system around £600PA, the company refused to fit a meter saying it was too dangerous as the site was too close to the main road. What they actually meant was they would have to pay a road disruption charge and put in stop/go lights so too expensive. After I told I wouldn't pay them anything until this was resolved I was put on assessed charge, bill this year £160PA "happy days!"
    This also means my allotment sized vegetable garden never goes without water, thank you South West Water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure