Makeandsave Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No doubt AOL/Talktalk will follow!
    Jan Wins: .
  • Rich_Pauper
    Options
    Lindalou wrote: »
    I paid for my BT line rental for 12 months in advance at the beginning of December, but I notice on my monthly bill this time I have still been charged for caller ID, even though it is free with 12 month contracts. I went online and chatted to a customer support employee, who confirmed that it should be free. He ordered a new contract for caller ID and is going to refund what I have already paid on my next bill.
    The purpose of this post is just to advise BT customers who have paid the 12 month rental in advance to check your bill !! If it has happened to me, how many countless others will be paying this charge without realising. £1.75 does not make a noticeable difference to your bill to make it stand out as an error. But BT must be raking in thousands of £1.75's per month! Please check!

just been online and cancelled £1.75 charge, then read your email. I'm going to chat online now. Thanks
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 January 2014 at 9:50PM
    Options
    I've just renegotiated my deal - told them how much PlusNet would charge! In another 12 month contract but also got BT Privacy (includes Caller Display) and a discount off the broadband as well. Was told to ring again when the 12 months was up and they'd give me a discount again on the next contract period.

So, don't pay the asking price!

Oh, and now on double the speed as well - hovering around the 60MB mark.

I had to leave BT last year because I wanted fibre. They would not give me any discount at all .... their only telephone offer was £23 a month when it was £20 online !!

Was a telephone customer for 13 years. They said it doesn't matter because you haven't been a broadband customer. And new broadband customer discount? No, because you're already a telephone customer !! ..... Don't know how that works .....

Moved my line to Sky with 6 months free fibre and £40 credit (making it 8 months free) then £20 a month. Will renegotiate after 12 months.

Even up to the transfer date rang BT asking for a good deal but still a no (I wanted BT sport).

I don't know how others get any discounts !!!!

After I'd moved to Sky BT started sending some offers but still not as good as what I was on. Nothing special from BT, just their normal online deals.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    No doubt AOL/Talktalk will follow!

If they see BT managing to get away with charging for previous freebies, then they will probably look into charging for other current freebies.
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Moved to sister in laws. Had managed to evade the BT landline trap for around 5 years. She has it here. Due for renewal in March. Cannot wait not to give a single penny to these rats that double up as a business.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They should have been forced to make the default position that the services will only continue if you opt in to pay for them, they wouldn't choose to do it that way as they would lose far more custom.

As per post #7 they shouldn't be allowed to claim BT sport is "free" when all of their customers are being forced to pay for it through higher and totally disproportionate charges on their other services.
  • 507cdr
    Options
    Tried to opt out on-line by unticking the box but was unable to complete the request unless i ticked a box at the bottom "Bring all your calls back to BT" What a bunch of cowboys! Had to contact them by phone and the guy wanted to sell me another product and was far from pleased when i refused. Can't believe i've been with this shower over 40 years.
  • andyt8
    andyt8 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tiggybear wrote: »
    We binned BT years ago - not just because of the pricing hikes of BT but because mobiles are now so much cheaper.

Plan to do the same as you as soon as we get 3G coverage out here in rural Sussex. When you think of it most people would want a mobile anyway and with the sort of contract you were describing you could tether when at home to give WiFi for your laptops. Plus when the BT copper line goes down in the storm you loose all - with a mobile you have a chance of moving a few miles and getting another signal.
  • tulipthecat
    Options
    My current contract with BT ends in April, at which point I'm planning to leave. I've had caller display while it was free but don't want to pay for it from now on. I've been on the website to try to get rid of it, but to remove a calling feature you have to "Place an Order" at which point it talks about "minimum terms". Does anyone know if I do this, will I be taking out a new contract which means I'll be tied to BT for another 12 months (or have pay a termination charge if I leave before next January)?
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    My current contract with BT ends in April, at which point I'm planning to leave. I've had caller display while it was free but don't want to pay for it from now on. I've been on the website to try to get rid of it, but to remove a calling feature you have to "Place an Order" at which point it talks about "minimum terms". Does anyone know if I do this, will I be taking out a new contract which means I'll be tied to BT for another 12 months (or have pay a termination charge if I leave before next January)?
    I thought it was free until your contract ends in april
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport