Royal Mail £8 Internal Post Handling Fee scam?

Options

Comments

• Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    Back to the OP....I thought you could pay the VAt/duty ONLY at whicjh point RM had to release the item and sue you for their fee [a bloke down the pub told me thgat]
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • newbiecontributor
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    so how is it not regulated then?
    so companies should do it for free then?

If RM decide to increase the fee, is there a public consulation? NO.
    If the public are not happy with the fee, can they get it altered. NO. All because of RM's monopoly on the mail system.

and to your second question. YES- it's part of the service! The item of mail has already had postage paid in its originating country. It is not for the mail carrier in the recipients country to decide to charge another fee as they see fit just to deliver it.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry newbie, if u have been a postie, you will know everything in RM is regulated. Anyone who's bringing small bits into country on a regular basis should perhaps look into dealing with customs direct. For others i don't think the £8 is too bad.

Yes you got it. Another soon to be ex - postie :)
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • mazza111
    Options
    If the public are not happy with the fee, can they get it altered. NO. All because of RM's monopoly on the mail system.

No public consultation, but that's not the same as being unregulated. Any price increase has to be approved. Even a penny on a stamp.

and to your second question. YES- it's part of the service! The item of mail has already had postage paid in its originating country. It is not for the mail carrier in the recipients country to decide to charge another fee as they see fit just to deliver it.

It's not for delivering it per se, but for dealing with customs on your behalf. Making the item tracked every step of the way...
  • mazza111
    Options
    Oopps , misquoted that last one but u can see my answer in middle. I apologise, can't find my specs this morn :)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

since when was regulation associated with public consultation?
    a regulator is appointed to regulate,thats their purpose
    postage has nothing to do with customs clearance.
    unless you advocate all international postage rates are increased to include a levy for possible clearance costs?
    then everyone can pay regardless of whether they bought specifically to be under customs/VAT levels?

monopoly on the mail system? hows that? plenty of other options available for international purchases
  • newbiecontributor
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    since when was regulation associated with public consultation?
    a regulator is appointed to regulate,thats their purpose
    postage has nothing to do with customs clearance.
    unless you advocate all international postage rates are increased to include a levy for possible clearance costs?
    then everyone can pay regardless of whether they bought specifically to be under customs/VAT levels?

monopoly on the mail system? hows that? plenty of other options available for international purchases

TO answer an earlier question- regulated by an independent publicly consulted body, not by themselves when they up prices for reasons to increase profits. It is years ago I worked for them but I don't care to prove my authenticity. The main point here was the £8 fee being unfair when a VAT amount is sometimes much less than half that and for importers of many items this being a cumulative amount.

There's a monopoly on international small parcel imports- HMRC do not offer recipients the option to have their parcel delivered in the UK with an alternative carrier for standard delivery packets.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2011 at 1:12PM
    Options
    TO answer an earlier question- regulated by an independent publicly consulted body, not by themselves huh? http://www.psc.gov.uk/when they up prices for reasons to increase profits. It is years ago I worked for them but I don't care to prove my authenticity. The main point here was the £8 fee being unfair when a VAT amount is sometimes much less than half that and for importers of many items this being a cumulative amount.

There's a monopoly on international small parcel imports- HMRC do not offer recipients the option to have their parcel delivered in the UK with an alternative carrier for standard delivery packets.

well guess you want to question on that? and if they did.do you think it would be free?

as for the fee and its relation to VAT.
    do you feel a sliding scale fee would be fairer? If so,why
  • mazza111
    Options
    TO answer an earlier question- regulated by an independent publicly consulted body, not by themselves when they up prices for reasons to increase profits. It is years ago I worked for them but I don't care to prove my authenticity. The main point here was the £8 fee being unfair when a VAT amount is sometimes much less than half that and for importers of many items this being a cumulative amount.

Have already covered this. It's a fee for dealing with customs for you, if you don't like it, then u can contact Customs yourself and deal with them direct, as stated in a previous post. Ahem, regulated by themselves? ok.... Postcomm must not be an independent regulator and advisor body on the post office then? I know PO and RM are separate companies now, but believe Postcomm covers them both.

Strangely enough there have been other companies on here who are charging more. Some charging less. So how is there no option? It's up to you as the customer to arrange this, if not it will go to RM. Using a government owned company to deal with customs on your behalf actually makes perfect sense to me.

You think it's bad now? Would love to see it after privatisation
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The main point here was the £8 fee being unfair when a VAT amount is sometimes much less than half that

but, as has been frequently pointed out, the admin time/effort/cost of processing the customes/VAT charges is (mostly) independant of the value of the package.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback