Appropriate gift for Eid?

Options
I have two close friends who are Muslim and wondered what to give them for eid. Maybe I will bake them some cakes for when all the fasting is over? What would you want to give/receive at this time?
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.

Comments

• boots_ranger
    Options
    First thing might be an Eid card, you can get them in Clinton's from what I remember and we bought some in Morrisons the other day.

Another thing might be a hamper or something like that with a few biscuits, cakes, sweets etc (Just make sure the ingredients don't contain Gelatine).

Hope this helps.
  • Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I buy a tray of arabic sweets from the asian supermarket, they are like little kunafis & so on with pastry & nuts. Plus a little gift for the kids like colours, paint by numbers etc.

Hope this helps

Anastacia
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
  • fruitcake_2
    Options
    Traditionally, Eid gifts used to be in the form of money...for children....back in the day when there was pound notes!! Sweets, chocolates and the like are great, just be aware that the ingredients don't include "animal fats" or "gelatine" as Muslims don't consume cow's or pig's fat...infact no animal derivatives unless it's "halal".

Should be okay as long as you steer clear of anything containing jelly (wine gums etc)

A home made Eid Card would be fab too!
  • lightisfading
    Options
    Being vegetarian, i know that gelatin is in far more than just 'jelly' products (recently; yoghurt, chocolate, mints and god knows what else) . Check all labels carefully!
  • Revenge_of_the_Red_Devil
    Options
    No - veggie gillaten is allowed, animal gilletin is not allowed in Islam. I think jelly is alright though?
    "People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer"
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's hard to get jelly that doesn't contain animal derived gelatine. Morrisons do a trifle, but it has cream on it, so not sure if that would be any good. (It's veggie but I don't know about being halal.)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I will ask one of the girls at work tomorrow who is muslim if she can give me some ideas for you all :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know all about the gelatine thing, I think I might make a cake which went down well on a previous occasion:) (xmas!)
    Spose I could make a hamper, I fancy making some jam...
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • MrsMondragon
    Options
    As well as gelatine you need to avoid the food colours E120 and E124, which are both derived from crushed beetles. Also you need to make sure the product you are buying does not contain alcohol . Another one to avoid is E471 (mono and di-glycerides of fatty acids), unless it also says suitable for vegetarians.
  • mouk
    mouk Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    some E471 are ok(if the package displays suitable for veg then this should be fine)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure