List of Banks not doing contactless cards

Options

Comments

• Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    My worries with contacless:

- If thieves can get a portable version of the shops' scanner (or develop an app that does the same thing) and just carry it in a crowd taking £20 from contactless holders they pass.

They would need a merchant account to receive any of the money which would be locked as soon as all the fraudulent charges are reported. I also believe most banks require that card payments are held for a certain amount of days before they can be removed from the business account once again stopping any chance of this kind of attack.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rather than taking £20 from the balance of the card the risk is that details can be read from the card that can be later used to make fraudulent transactions.

In March Channel 4 was able to demonstrate how a mobile phone could steal sufficient information from a Barclays VISA card to later be used to make purchases on Amazon.
    http://blogs.channel4.com/benjamin-cohen-on-technology/the-questions-barclays-visa-and-amazon-need-to-answer-about-contactless-cards/3434
  • pcombo
    pcombo Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Options
    Most banks who offers basic accounts such as Lloyds TSB cash account dont offer contactless.
  • reclusive46
    Options
    PGSchick wrote: »
    because I dont have a need for it and I dislike the idea that someone else can just swipe my card over things debiting my account if they stole my cards.

Anyway what does it matter why I dont want it, why are the banks/credit cards just rolling it out without warning?

Ok at least Barclays told me it was coming and I could ring them asking for a card without it.

Not so with amazon credit card, if you dont have the contactless function you cant get an ordinary credit card and they didnt warn it was coming just automatically switched me to it when renewing my card - WHY?

Just for your records Barclaycards are the only contactless card in the UK to feature MSD (Makes it compatible with USA contactless), which means its the only one that can have the details swiped off it.
  • BugsyBrowne
    Options
    Just looked on odds checker and the odds running into a contactless thief carrying a swipe machine is 80000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/1

Odds on winning the euro lottery are shorter.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    - If thieves can get a portable version of the shops' scanner (or develop an app that does the same thing) and just carry it in a crowd taking £20 from contactless holders they pass.

Do you realise how close they need to be to work...
    Easy to fool by having more than one contactless card as they won't work,
    - I don't notice the fraudulent transactions among all of the other transactions in my statement, after all they're only small. I can't identify every small purchase on my statements as it is.

Perhaps you better start saving reciepts and checking ALL spending off.
    You have no idea how many fraudsters spend less than £20....

Given that each card provider has set their own limit on contactless spend before a chip/pin transaction needs to be made to reset this. Atm will do it or a retailer.
    Max spend is £20 a transaction.

I have no idea why some people are so anti contactless. It is just another payment method, that is just as secure as any other.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • BugsyBrowne
    Options
    dalesrider wrote: »
    Do you realise how close they need to be to work...
    Easy to fool by having more than one contactless card as they won't work,

Perhaps you better start saving reciepts and checking ALL spending off.
    You have no idea how many fraudsters spend less than £20....

Given that each card provider has set their own limit on contactless spend before a chip/pin transaction needs to be made to reset this. Atm will do it or a retailer.
    Max spend is £20 a transaction.

I have no idea why some people are so anti contactless. It is just another payment method, that is just as secure as any other.

You are always going to get the wallies it's in their nature to complain.

They are the sort of people who know Gordon Ramsey swears in his shows but watch it on the purpose to write into complain.

Morons!!!
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    Hate to tell you all this - but it is indeed possible to have a contactless card cloned and used - I should know as I was recently a victim of all that. Got told by those on here that it was simply not possible - it is the new growing crime and yes the thieves can get close enough, especially on a crowded train/bus or busy shopping area. With me I never take my barclaycard anywhere much at all and had never ever used contactless at all and I would never buy 3 x £10 mobile phone vouchers using a CC - If I buy those I use debit or actual cash. And I rarely need to buy top ups at all. £15 has lasted me well over a year so far and I still have 50% left. Best bit was the thief rang BC and cancelled my account for me! I only found out when I signed into my on line account one night after 1am and account number was different. Lost all access to other number etc. Had to wait 5 days for new card once I verified my ID - Has taken 3 weeks to get money returned on account - showing as refunded. Have had to ask for paper statements so I have complete records again. Never occured to me that I even had it on the card. However my new debit card does not have it on it, although bank is rolling it out. So I know I will get it after 2015. So I will now have to download the monthly statements just in case. My limit seems to be £10, but new card more than likely has £20 set on it or will soon have.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    Hate to tell you all this - but it is indeed possible to have a contactless card cloned and used - I should know as I was recently a victim of all that. Got told by those on here that it was simply not possible - it is the new growing crime and yes the thieves can get close enough, especially on a crowded train/bus or busy shopping area. With me I never take my barclaycard anywhere much at all and had never ever used contactless at all and I would never buy 3 x £10 mobile phone vouchers using a CC -.

You sure they used contactless to make the purchase and not just the normal online/phone method ?

Think of it like this.
    How much is it going to cost to clone all the contactless bits in a card ?
    Blank mag stripe cards are very cheap. You used to be able to buy 1000 for under £10 at computer fairs.....
    You won't get a blank card with the contactless bit cheap. A quick google brings up a price nearly as high as your fraud.
    All for a small amount. Some cards have a limit of £20 before they need to be reset.
    The main reason that chips are not counterfeited.

It is simply not cost effective.

And why would they ring to cancel your card ???? There is no sense in that at all.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I for one will be drilling through any NFC/Wireless chip on any replacement card sent to me.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure