List of Banks not doing contactless cards

Options

Comments

• reclusive46
    Options
    simax wrote: »
    I for one will be drilling through any NFC/Wireless chip on any replacement card sent to me.

Why do you care so much? If details are fraudulently used its not your problem.
  • BugsyBrowne
    Options
    I for one will be drilling through any NFC/Wireless chip on any replacement card sent to me.

Seriously simax don't you think your being a tad bit strange getting your tools out on a debit card.
  • Grabs39
    Grabs39 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do people still swipe their cards and sign? As for walking through a crowd and collecting transactions, I find it hard enough to make the readers pick up my card when I press it against it, never mind at least 18 inches away through my jacket and wallet!
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    If thieves can get a portable version of the shops' scanner (or develop an app that does the same thing) and just carry it in a crowd taking £20 from contactless holders they pass.
    It exists already, thieves already have it, but its not exactly portable yet, but they can spend several hundred pounds per transaction, not £20, as they can get your full card number, name and expiry date. They can't get your CVV though (not that it means much).
    I don't notice the fraudulent transactions among all of the other transactions in my statement, after all they're only small. I can't identify every small purchase on my statements as it is.
    Thats bad management. I'd notice a 1p transaction fraudulent transaction on my statement. It might not stand out, but I reconcile weekly and the difference in ending balance would make me look harder to find out where its gone. If you ignore £10 one week, the next it could be £100.
    I don't want to mess around with bits of tin-foil or to note down all of my purchases, I just want the peace of mind that I had before.
    Peace of mind doesn't exist. A standard debit card can be stolen, till receipts containing debit card information can be stolen, your bank account details can be stolen.

Things to do:
    Get more than 1 contactless card. Two cards answering at once produces nothing but garbage to a contactless reader. (I've tried it)
    Reconcile your bank account often. Yes, you have time. An hour a week should be enough.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you care so much? If details are fraudulently used its not your problem.

It's hassle to contact the bank each time it happens. Why should I be inconvenienced?
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • simax
    Options
    Seriously simax don't you think your being a tad bit strange getting your tools out on a debit card.

No. Not at all.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • BugsyBrowne
    Options
    No. Not at all.

Each to their own I like to watch football and have a pint down the boozer but fair enough we are all different.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    It's hassle to contact the bank each time it happens. Why should I be inconvenienced?

Each time?! How often are you the victim of fraud?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options

And just how many times have you been a victim of fraud?

Don't blame the bank or retailers....

Blame the fraudsters that take and use your details.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • simax
    Options
    Each to their own I like to watch football and have a pint down the boozer but fair enough we are all different.

You and me both then, nothing I enjoy more. And yes I have been a victim of fraud before (application fraud) so call me a little paranoid, but I don't like the idea of someone being able to get all my card details (minus CVV) from brushing past my pocket (not easily done now but technology is moving very fast so by the time contactless is in the majority of peoples wallets the devices used to "skim" contactless cards will be tiny).

Also, you can almost guarantee as more and more fraud is reported via contactless cards (which is inevitable), the less banks will like to suffer the losses as they increase. So you can bet they'll change the goalposts to "guilty until proven innocent" with regards to getting your money back.

So based on that, even though I love technology and all that, I'm going to pass on contactless, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure