duke of edinburgh award- help!

Options
My DD wants to do DoE through school, they run the scheme and the date to get application forms in is This friday (its a 1 page A4 form)

Problem is, Im away with work from Thursday ands she is staying at her dads (who wont give her any help with the form) so I have to quickly support her in getting it completed by Wednesday.

I did DoE (Bronze level) years ago and enjoyed it but I havent a clue how it works nowadays! for example there are new rules about volunteering etc. we have searched online and there dont seem to be many oppertunities for volunteering for 14 year olds.

Does anyone have any experience/advice they can offer, particularly around the volunteering section.

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Email the member of staff co-ordinating the scheme for advice.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • broughy
    broughy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to be a leader in a Guide Unit, and we had several young leaders who came to help us to fulfil the requirements for DofE and ended up staying with us once they'd "done their time" so to speak. Doesn't have to be Guides, could be any youth organisation - Scouts, Boys/Girls Brigade. Most units will be very glad of the extra help!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for Scouts. Where we'd be without our Young Leaders, (not all of whom are doing it for the Dof E,) I shudder to think.
  • athensgeorgia
    Options
    When DD2 did her bronze she only needed 6 hours of volunteering. She did a full day's bag packing in the local supermarket with her school. They had to learn a new skill too. DD learnt how to knit. I think partly because her school had an after school knitting club.

When DD2 did Silver she volunteered with Rainbows. She's just started her Gold and ha continued with it.

DD1 has just started her D of E with college. She didn't take part with school as she was worried we couldn't afford it. She's now signed up with college but starting at Silver. She already volunteers with Brownies as we have close ties with the guiders but her D of E tutor has said this will count for her volunteering and to keep it up.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Nether of my daughters wanted to do the DOE award, but a number of their friends did and they did the same things as my girls did in school to get the DOE. As they attended a faith school there was always an emphasis on giving back to the community. They also had a leper village in India they supported as their main charity so there was fundraising events they helped with such as orgainising cake sales, making flyers for fundraising dances, quizes etc. Some of them went to the Homestart offices to get details of families who may be in need (no names just gender and ages of children and gender of parent/s/main carer) and arranged for each class to bring in gifts for a hamper at Christmas. This continued in follwoing years. Another group went to sing carols at an old peoples home. Some of the children decided to clean the stream and pond that was in the school grounds, others did litter patrol. Another group decided to put on a talent competition and charge for entry during lunchtime. I have heard of others orgaining a shoe box appeal, collecting items that went to the local food bank. I am sure the school will have lots of sugguestions. One of my DDs was good at science and used to help the science teacher with the year 7 lunchtime club.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My daughter raised money for her cadet unit, as well as a Kenyan orphanage that her college supports. She did this by collecting clothes, and selling them again (at the college and selling the rest to the local recycling people). She also went around asking local businesses to donate to the cadets unit - it all counted as volunteering.

Local charity shops often want volunteers, as do local libraries. If you contact your local library as well, they have lists of organisations who want volunteers. There are certainly opportunities for 14yo and up where I live.

Or just type "volunteering (your town)" into google.

Good luck. My daughter enjoyed all the aspects of her DofE apart from the camping expedition, which she hated but I think that was more to do with the unpleasant people she had to go with. Hopefully your daughter will end up with a like-minded group for that.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    my DD was insistent on her volunteering being animal related and it has been a nightmare getting anything like this for an under 16. She had to do 12 hours - 3 months of 1 hour a week) for bronze and has just started silver so it is going to be hassle again. For bronze we did dog walking for the Cinnamon trust but I had to accompany her every time which I do not want to do again - I have my own dogs to walk!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Cheeseface
    Options
    My child did peer support in their own school, mentoring the new year 7s.
  • building_with_lego
    Options

Good luck. My daughter enjoyed all the aspects of her DofE apart from the camping expedition, which she hated ....

:rotfl::rotfl: That was the one bit I really wanted to do when school told us about the Award. I ended up getting to go on the Silver expedition to make up the numbers for a friend, and had an amazing time.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did my volunteer service with the RNLI, bronze to gold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure