Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I would love an EV, it would be perfect for my short daily commute, but how can a poor person manage it?
    Autonomous electric vehicles providing Transport as a Service in about ten years time according to Tony Seba.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some big investments in renewables, EV's and energy efficiency in France.

France to spend €7bn on renewables by 2022
    The French energy revolution is gearing up: from next year begins a €20 billion investment plan that will steer €7 billion into the country’s renewable energy industry, with the remaining €13 billion intended to improve the nation’s energy efficiency and lower the carbon output of its vehicle fleet.

These encouraging investment goals are part of a wider €57 billion plan to boost France’s economy over the next five years, and the sum earmarked for clean energies has been welcomed by France’s wind and solar industries.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Wind Energy Could Power 30% Of Europe’s Needs By 2030, Reports WindEurope

The low, central and high scenarios are actually 21.6%, 29.6% and 37.6%. :T

[Curious that they all end in .6, isn't that a 1 in 1,000 chance? But I digress.]
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Promising news as CO2 emissions fail to rise again, suggesting a possible peak, rather than a one off.

Global carbon emissions stood still in 2016, offering climate hope
    The flat CO2 emissions in 2016 follow similar near-standstills in 2014 and 2015. This lack of growth is unprecedented in a time when the global economy is growing. As the number of years of flat emissions grows, scientists are more confident a peak has been reached, rather than a temporary halt. In July 2016, senior economists said China's huge coal burning had peaked, marking a historic turning point in efforts to tame climate change.

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Some big investments in renewables, EV's and energy efficiency in France.

France to spend €7bn on renewables by 2022
    Hi

Interestingly that puts the scale of renewables in the UK into context ... Dong energy alone is looking to invest £6bn in the UK between now & 2020 .... dongenergy.co.uk press-release

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Some more good news for the UK.

New windfarm 'officially' opens, and it's got batteries.

GIANT VATTENFALL WIND FARM COMBINES BLADES WITH BATTERIES

and 2017 Q2 sets a new record for renewables contribution to leccy generation.

New renewable energy record set: 30% of all UK electricity from clean sources

• ASavvyBuyer
    Options

That Wind Farm is fairly close to where we live. We can see the turbine blades turning when we go for walks on the mountain we live on and from the top of the Dare Valley Park. Counted upto about 65 so far. They look quite impressive.

Good to know that some of the electricity we need to import if probably coming from them.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Options

Item on the BBC local news tonight and on the BBC website here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41417978

Like this comment:
    "I think they should all be painted green ( stems ) and topped yellow so they look like giant dafodils"
  • theboylard
    Options
    Item on the BBC local news tonight and on the BBC website here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41417978

Like this comment:
    "I think they should all be painted green ( stems ) and topped yellow so they look like giant dafodils"

I read that end word as giant "sex toys"!!!

It's late. I'm tired having just got in, plus up early tomorrow - my eyes are obviously playing tricks on me!!!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Like this comment:

A lovely moderator on Navitron, who has now sadly passed on, always referred to wind turbines as 'wind flowers'.

Mate of mine suggested adding a cone to their bases, painting on windows and doors, and an image of Windy Miller.

Bit jealous of you getting to see the WT's. We only have one near us, visible from most of Cardiff but not our house, but I get to see it on walks ...... and till recently up close on cycle trips, but Wifey has now banned me from that route, too many HGV's! :sad:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback