PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long does it take to get back my deposit?

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So after end of tenancy (submitted the key), have to wait for few weeks?
    Just claim it from the scheme!
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    I got it sent today about 9 days after handing in key. Had to ring up the other day to nudge letting agent.
  • alandaniel132
    Options
    I got it sent today about 9 days after handing in key. Had to ring up the other day to nudge letting agent.

Did they make any deduction on your deposit?
  • Comms69
    Options

mine took 3 months. - anecdotal evidence is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    Did they make any deduction on your deposit?

It's not relevant. You expect things to have a system, they don't. Just claim it back from the scheme!
  • alandaniel132
    Options
    Can LA(letting agent) directly bank in the deposit (after deduction) without giving me notice what items cause the deposit deducted?
  • Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    my last landlord played hard ball and tried to hold back my deposit for stupid things (betterment for small repairs etc and to get it professionally cleaned after i already had provided them with a receipt for a company who cleaning it - ironically the same company they were trying to quote for to use)

I got an itemized bill for a list of things, i decided to ring the number of the quote to ask more questions and got directly through to the landlord! turns out they made the entire list of repairs up and just wanted to keep my deposit.

almost makes me want to withhold my last months rent when i move.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Can LA(letting agent) directly bank in the deposit (after deduction) without giving me notice what items cause the deposit deducted?
    What on earth are you talking about?

THEY ALREADY HAVE THE DEPOSIT!

Literally the last time i'm saying this - start a claim with the scheme!
  • Comms69
    Options
    Grezz24 wrote: »
    my last landlord played hard ball and tried to hold back my deposit for stupid things (betterment for small repairs etc and to get it professionally cleaned after i already had provided them with a receipt for a company who cleaning it - ironically the same company they were trying to quote for to use)

I got an itemized bill for a list of things, i decided to ring the number of the quote to ask more questions and got directly through to the landlord! turns out they made the entire list of repairs up and just wanted to keep my deposit.

almost makes me want to withhold my last months rent when i move.
    A landlord isn't obligated to spend your deposit on repairs or anything else.

They can deduct it for damage and go buy clothes with it if they want.
  • Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    A landlord isn't obligated to spend your deposit on repairs or anything else.

They can deduct it for damage and go buy clothes with it if they want.

the point i tried to make was they made up a list of repairs, saying things were damaged and they wasnt, created a fake company name and invoice to try get me out of deposit. pretty underhand tactics i think.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Grezz24 wrote: »
    the point i tried to make was they made up a list of repairs, saying things were damaged and they wasnt, created a fake company name and invoice to try get me out of deposit. pretty underhand tactics i think.

Yes but that's what the schemes are for, to adjudicate when there are disputes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure