PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long does it take to get back my deposit?

Options

Comments

• alandaniel132
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What on earth are you talking about?

THEY ALREADY HAVE THE DEPOSIT!

Literally the last time i'm saying this - start a claim with the scheme!

I mean can LA bank in the deposit to me without letting me know what is the items of deduction in my deposit due to damage or wear and tear?
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    mine took 3 months. - anecdotal evidence is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If the chocolate teapot was crafted well you can probably sell it to compensate for waiting for your deposit.

Did they make any deduction on your deposit?

No they took a week before they even did the final inspection and the property is 5 minutes from the letting agent office.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I mean can LA bank in the deposit to me without letting me know what is the items of deduction in my deposit due to damage or wear and tear?
    Yes and you can then dispute the rest
  • alandaniel132
    Options
    If the chocolate teapot was crafted well you can probably sell it to compensate for waiting for your deposit.

No they took a week before they even did the final inspection and the property is 5 minutes from the letting agent office.

So LA will sent you a email saying what item they want to deduct OR even no deduction before we tenant can agree, and then LA only deposit the deposit back to tenant?
  • alandaniel132
    Options
    Yes and you can then dispute the rest

Okay, i worry LA want to hide the deduction from me, straight asking me to agree the deduction of deposit.
  • PokerPlayer111
    PokerPlayer111 Posts: 343 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 2:49PM
    Options
    So LA will sent you a email saying what item they want to deduct OR even no deduction before we tenant can agree, and then LA only deposit the deposit back to tenant?

I went in the office a few days ago and was super nice with them but also firm. They said if they have any issues with the property they would speak with me before any deductions. They said they'd be doing the inspection later that day.

A week went by they still hadn't done inspection so had to ring and nudge them.

Today i got an email saying deposit to be returned in full no deductions. Wait 3 days for payment to clear.

Depends who you are dealing with... if you think letting agents are crooks you need to speak with deposit protection scheme i guess - i've never had to do that.

The last time i had a problem with a deposit was 10+ years ago before the deposit protection scheme even existed and i had to record the landlord saying he owed me the money and then threated them with small claims court action (got deposit back the next day).
  • Comms69
    Options
    I went in the office a few days ago and was super nice with them but also firm. They said if they have any issues with the property they would speak with me before any deductions. They said they'd be doing the inspection later that day.

A week went by they still hadn't done inspection so had to ring and nudge them.

Today i got an email saying deposit to be returned in full no deductions. Wait 3 days for payment to clear.

Depends who you are dealing with... if you think letting agents are crooks you need to speak with deposit protection scheme i guess - i've never had to do that.

The last time i had a problem with a deposit was 10+ years ago before the deposit protection scheme even existed and i had to record the landlord saying he owed me the money and then threated them with small claims court action (got deposit back the next day).
    Well since letting agents are not party to your contract - whether their crooks or not is largely irrelevant.

The schemes exist for a reason.

(your contract is with your landlord)
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    Well since letting agents are not party to your contract - whether their crooks or not is largely irrelevant.

The schemes exist for a reason.

(your contract is with your landlord)

What if LA manage the property and the landlord is not doing the final inspection? If they aren't crooks all you got to do is keep them sweet. We left the place with marks on the walls, dirty lamp shades we didn't want to touch - small things but they could have took issue with.
  • Comms69
    Options
    What if LA manage the property and the landlord is not doing the final inspection? If they aren't crooks all you got to do is keep them sweet. We left the place with marks on the walls, dirty lamp shades we didn't want to touch - small things but they could have took issue with.

Irrelevant.

Letting agents work for the landlord. If they have failed to deduct from your deposit when they should have. They've committed a serious offence.

Agency law is very clear they must act, always, to the benefit of their client.
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    Well maybe i should have gone direct to DPS then idk. Was under the impression i had to speak to LA to get deposit back.

Anyway good luck OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport