Is there a bonafide way to stop cats and foxes coming into my garden?

Options

Comments

• loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried everything you can think of to deter cats from pooing in my friont
    and back lawns. I cannot enjoy my garden because of these. There are about three cats who visited regularly and behave as if it is their own garden relaxing and sunbathing. I am also unlucky thatI have to put up with barking dog on one side and pigeons poos on the other side. Neighbour keeps racing pigeons and they like resting on the aerial brackets and poos on window sills and pavement. I paid an aerial man at a cost of £200 to resite aerial and installed bird spikes. Problem sorted at a cost. Regarding the cats I gave up and everyday I inspect the lawn and pick the poos. I find wilko cats deterrent ok but it can be costly if you have a large garden and you need to reapply often esp when it rains.
  • Rusty_Shackleton
    Options
    JackeeBoy wrote: »
    I just wish owners were more considerate and kept their bloody pests inside.

It's not inconsiderate of cat owners to let cats exhibit natural behaviours like roaming outside and hunting, the inconsideration is from people who expect the world to fit around them just so their garden is neater and tidier. Do you have a problem with the birds that invariably poo in your garden?

You're complaining about foxes too, who's 'consideration' do you think would solve that one? The good news is that foxes generally don't like cats, so the cats might be helping you in that regard at least!

If you have this much problem with wildlife, I'd suggest you'd be better of staying indoors.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A stiff fence will not put them off, you need something hard to climb

My recommendation is bamboo fencing. You need to fix it to something but it will be very difficult to climb

The other option is a motion sensor sprinkler system
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I feel sorry for the OP. Finding cat poo in your garden is truly disgusting, especially near your vegetables. I find it incredibly disrespectful of people to buy cats knowing they will use their neighbours garden as a toilet. No one really needs a cat.

I'm fortunate that in my current house we don't have much of a cat problem although there is one that comes occasionally to leave its mark. If I see it, a handful of 20mm gravel or a log from the log basket hurled in its direction can be quite effective especially when they bang as they bounce off the shed side (the gravel and wood I mean, not the cat).

In previous houses I have had considerable cat problems and never found a reliable solution. I was hopeful of a sonic cat scarer but I could hear it too and found it quite uncomfortable to have turned on.

If I had a problem today I would have an experiment with one of the automatic water scarers. Amazon carry a few examples which, as you would expect, carry mixed reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Repeller-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B0153BJ7NQ?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_4224903031_5&pf_rd_r=PMAW7GY0P1N2M15R2Q9D&pf_rd_p=de30aaa1-3c3e-51da-a453-451fdb3aedaa&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=4224903031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Defence-119392-Pest-Control/dp/B01MTCA1KD/ref=sr_1_17?crid=14EPQYVUXCCUN&keywords=pest+control&qid=1557824989&rnid=1642204031&s=garden&sprefix=Pest+Control%2Caps%2C312&sr=1-17
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We use something called 'silent roar' it's a lion poo extract that comes in granules. The granules don't smell and are easy to apply. It's quite pricey but really does work for us and my parents and seems to last a while.

My neighbour has a cat and the cat only comes in our garden when it's time to reapply the granules.. it also keeps them away from the bird feeder in the front garden.

I tried the other cat repellent granules and they just didn't last very long.
  • carldaughtery
    Options
    Cats don't like the smell of rue, pennyroyal, lavender, and lemon thyme. So, you can plant some of these around your garden where cats are entering from. Also, to repel foxes, scent repellants will be effective.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2019 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Stratus wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the OP. Finding cat poo in your garden is truly disgusting, especially near your vegetables. I find it incredibly disrespectful of people to buy cats knowing they will use their neighbours garden as a toilet. No one really needs a cat.

I'm fortunate that in my current house we don't have much of a cat problem although there is one that comes occasionally to leave its mark. If I see it, a handful of 20mm gravel or a log from the log basket hurled in its direction can be quite effective especially when they bang as they bounce off the shed side (the gravel and wood I mean, not the cat).

In previous houses I have had considerable cat problems and never found a reliable solution. I was hopeful of a sonic cat scarer but I could hear it too and found it quite uncomfortable to have turned on.

If I had a problem today I would have an experiment with one of the automatic water scarers. Amazon carry a few examples which, as you would expect, carry mixed reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Repeller-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B0153BJ7NQ?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_4224903031_5&pf_rd_r=PMAW7GY0P1N2M15R2Q9D&pf_rd_p=de30aaa1-3c3e-51da-a453-451fdb3aedaa&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=4224903031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Defence-119392-Pest-Control/dp/B01MTCA1KD/ref=sr_1_17?crid=14EPQYVUXCCUN&keywords=pest+control&qid=1557824989&rnid=1642204031&s=garden&sprefix=Pest+Control%2Caps%2C312&sr=1-17 [/QUOTE]

You might find you suddenly get a rodent problem if all your neighbors got rid of the cats.

I live in a rural area and a stream runs down the back of the houses on my lane, my neighbor hates cats but is still very grateful I have them as we don't have a rodent problem anymore due to them!

So yes, I think I do actually need a cat

I get stray cats around my house too, and I turn the hose on them

OP - are you sure it is cat poo on the grass - cats tend to go in soil where they can bury it?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A colleague of mine was going to give a kilo of lion poo to a neighbour who's cat annoyed him. We managed to persuade him to apply the poo to his own garden around the perimeter & give the dear lady of box of Roses. (The nicest people can have the Oddest 'blind spot's.)

Chester zoo no longer sell the lion poo on biohazard grounds but the Silent Roar stuff has mixed opinions. Got to be worth a try?
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You could try a water pistol every time you see one (just don't get a mega super blaster!).

My cats used to sometimes come home with a wet patch on them where someone must have sprayed them with water, I had no issue with this I understand not everyone likes cats and it doesn't do the cat any harm.

My supersoaker is locked and loaded with water and a little white vinegar........worked a treat and cats finally got the message although one tabby stills try's his luck,but iv'e got him in my sights;)
  • JackeeBoy
    JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What an appalling suggestion. What is wrong with you that you would risk killing pets simply because you don't like them in your garden?

You accuse cat owners of being inconsiderate, while talking about poisoning peoples pets like a psychopath. You couldn't make it up!

Would you be so appalled if we were talking about mice, ants or cockroaches? No, you wouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure