California trip, long enough to include LV?

Options
Hello,

I am looking to book 9 days trip to California in mid Feb next year to meet some friends and relatives - Need some inputs from experienced travellers please -
1. Keen to do couple of days in SF and then drive down to LA and spend next four days there
2. Must do includes would be the Pacific highway and a day or two each in SF & LA.

I would like to include LV in the trip as we may not get a chance to do this again - certainly not in next few years, I could look to travel to LV and then fly to SF to save time driving but would it be too much to fit in 9 days?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked the distance and driving time between SF and LA? You might consider flying to give yourself more time -- unless the view on the way is an important part of your holiday.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There's plenty to keep you busy on the west coast without going over to Vegas, in my humble opinion.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • nirajn123
    Options
    Have you checked the distance and driving time between SF and LA? You might consider flying to give yourself more time -- unless the view on the way is an important part of your holiday.
    Yes, its max 7hrs drive between the two places I plan to visit, I was thinking stopping at least one night along the way, about midway - so essentially - 2 days in SF, 2 days drive, 2 days in LA. That probably leaves 2 days for LV but not sure if that would be rushing it.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I.m.o too much travel and not enough time to appreciate the places you are visiting. SF deserves more than 2 days at least 3 or 4. The drive on PCH is great and woth spending 2 days to appreciate it and various stops on route. Leaving the remainder in LA, although I would skip LA and go to San Diego, then fly back to SFO for return home.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I’d see if you can extend it a few days. Hotels in Vegas aren’t too expensive (it’s the resort fees that’s the pain mind). 2 days in each isn’t good mind. You’ll be forever in a car/ airport/ transport and it’s no fun
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    IMO it’s not long enough, first day won’t be great as you will be jet lagged. 2 days is not long enough in SF.

It’s another 5 hour drive from LA to LV. As someone else says miss out LA and go to SD or LV , or extend the trip
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Consider flying in to SF, flying home from Vegas (either direct or via LA) and a one way car rental.

You won't need a car in SF.

You can see the highlights of SF in a 3 night stay.

I would suggest stopping off near San Simon for a couple of nights. See Hearst Castle.

But 9 nights isn't long enough! Leave Vegas for another trip. CA is beautiful, and you will just be scratching the surface in 9 days.
  • nirajn123
    Options
    Thank you all, I'll probably just drop the LV idea. Explore parts of California which we may otherwise not get to see - like a day in yellowstone perhaps.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    nirajn123 wrote: »
    Thank you all, I'll probably just drop the LV idea. Explore parts of California which we may otherwise not get to see - like a day in yellowstone perhaps.

Yellowstone is in Wyoming, 1000 miles from LA.

Were you thinking of Yosemite? Thats about 3.5 hours drive from SF, but the park is only partially open in the winter. Many roads in the park will be closed because of snow. You may need chains on your tyres en route to Yosemite.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you like driving and the idea of a road trip, then 9 days is plenty.
    If it were me I'd only do Pacific Highway down to Monterey then cut inland to Vegas, Hoover Dam, and Grand Canyon. Then to LA on I40.
    If you're a muso you might manage a small diversion to stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure