California trip, long enough to include LV?

Options
2»

Comments

• John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In summer I'd highly recommend cutting down on San Francisco and Las Vegas, ignoring Los Angeles, and concentrating on the scenic wonders of Yosemite and the Pacific Coast Highway. But winter is different. The coast road might be open, or it might be closed by landslides caused by winter storms. As Nick_C said, the Tioga Pass (from Yosemite Valley to US395) will be totally closed and access to Yosemite Valley from the west might require chains.

There is very little accommodation on the coast road between Monterey and Cambria. Nor are there any public roads over the coastal mountains on that stretch. Once you start on this road, you're committed.

So, given the time of year, it might be best to concentrate on San Francisco and Las Vegas, flying between them. If you have specific places in the Los Angeles area that you know you want to visit, ok - otherwise that city and its vast collection of suburbs are best avoided (IMHO, of course).

You can drive between Los Angeles and Las Vegas easily in half a day and the weather even in winter is unlikely to be a problem. Some people find the drive across the Mojave Desert boring, while others find the vast emptiness immensely beautiful.

Hope this helps a bit.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nirajn123 wrote: »
    Thank you all, I'll probably just drop the LV idea. Explore parts of California which we may otherwise not get to see - like a day in yellowstone perhaps.

If you wanted to do LV you could do it separately.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If you wanted to do LV you could do it separately.

...but the OP said up front:
    - I would like to include LV in the trip as we may not get a chance to do this again - certainly not in next few years,
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't get hung up on the PCH. It's over romanticised.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    Don't get hung up on the PCH. It's over romanticised.

That's a matter of perspective. I loved it. Loved, loved, loved it.

And for that reason, I'd say give CA the full 9 days - it absolutely deserves it.

I would do 4 nights in SF, down to Monterey for one night, one night in Cambria (to give you a full day along Big Sur) and 3 nights LA (and then I would recommend somewhere like Santa Monica - not downtown LA).

You could skip the Cambria nights and have a bigger driving day from Monterey to LA, and add in one night in Yosemite after SF. But make sure you maximise your time driving in and out of Yosemite as that's probably where you'll see most of it given you'll only be there one night.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts