Not on the mortgage, had the house nearly 8 years and have 3 children.

Options
We bought our first house nearly 8 years ago, as I had just gone self employed, I couldn’t go on the mortgage. My husband said he would add me on next time he sorted another deal out. He never did!!
I’ve just found out, I signed my rights away to the house, when he got the mortgage, this was because he had debt and was seen as he was providing for me and 1 child and one on the way. Which wasn’t the case, I provided everything for the children and worked full time, I pay bills etc.
I’ve put into this house as much as him, if we was to split up or he was to suddenly die, where do I stand.
Would I be entitled to anything?
Would be greatful for some advice.

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Get legal advice but surely the answer is yes, since you're married.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://rightsofwomen.org.uk/get-information/family-law/marriage-your-rights-to-your-home/

Link above has a useful PDF on it explaining how to register marital rights.

https://www.graysons.co.uk/family/gets-house-divorce/#05

This one has just a bit of info on ownership and rights.

However best to get a 30minute free solicitor session for some reassurance/peace of mind.

I'd be questioning the trust if my partner was that deceitful to me:sad:

He should have a will in place for what happens if he dies.
  • BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The starting point for division of assets in a divorce is 50/50.

Who told you self employed people can't get mortgages? That isn't true.
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We bought our first house nearly 8 years ago, as I had just gone self employed, I couldn’t go on the mortgage.
    BAFE wrote: »

Lenders tend to want to see 2 years of accounts.
  • BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lenders tend to want to see 2 years of accounts.

Which proves my point. Self employed people can get mortgages.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You say that you 'signed away your rights' when he got the mortgage - I suspect that you had to sign something to confirm that your rights would be subject to those of the mortgage lender - basically meaning that if they lender were to repossess , you would have to move out (which would also be true if you were on the mortgage)

To protect yourself, it would be sensible to register your Matrimonial Home Rights - and also, sit down and talk to your husband about making sure that you are added to the deeds and mortgage next time it is renewed.

You and he should also talk about ensuring that you have appropriate life insurance in place to ensure that the other can pay off the mortgage if one of you were to die .

If you were to split up, then on divorce, a court has to decide what is fair, and the issue of whether the house is one name or joint names doesn't normally make much difference,to what you are each entitled to.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Emmajg1980
    Emmajg1980 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    BAFE wrote: »
    The starting point for division of assets in a divorce is 50/50.

I had only just gone self employed, so couldn’t be added to it as didn’t have any accounts.
  • Emmajg1980
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    You say that you 'signed away your rights' when he got the mortgage - I suspect that you had to sign something to confirm that your rights would be subject to those of the mortgage lender - basically meaning that if they lender were to repossess , you would have to move out (which would also be true if you were on the mortgage)

To protect yourself, it would be sensible to register your Matrimonial Home Rights - and also, sit down and talk to your husband about making sure that you are added to the deeds and mortgage next time it is renewed.

You and he should also talk about ensuring that you have appropriate life insurance in place to ensure that the other can pay off the mortgage if one of you were to die .

If you were to split up, then on divorce, a court has to decide what is fair, and the issue of whether the house is one name or joint names doesn't normally make much difference,to what you are each entitled to.

Yes when I’ve looked into the form I signed, it’s to do with the mortgage and if he gets the house repossessed.
  • Emmajg1980
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Things aren't good between us at the min. He’s being a !!!! and saying if we split up he doesn’t have to give me half the house as it’s his!! Also he’s saying he shouldn’t move out of his own house.
    We have 3 young children together. Have said will see you in court then, don’t know what planet he lives on, if he thinks he doesn’t have to give me anything. He will need to provide for his kids!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure