Prestigious cars or retire early

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Children cost more than cars, avoid children.

I retired at 50, 16 years ago, it's great.

I’ll second that, drive a prestigious car that needs an mot and move it on when it starts costing. I’ll be retiring early compared to some.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Children cost more than cars, avoid children.

I retired at 50, 16 years ago, it's great.

But the value of a kid goes up. Ive got an 8 month old and every day gets better...the nights get worse with less and less sleep, but the days are better.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I stopped work when made redundant at 50 and went to live the good life in France, posh cars and 5 kids so not all fag packet calculations work. Oh and our UK house bought 11 years ago dropped in value at first and only now can we get our money back!
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Retire.
    The second that you can.
    Live in penury if you must, it is better than working those extra years to be "better off" and then becoming ill- at which point all that money you sweated to save will be used to pay for your care before the state chips in.
    Retire with nothing, and anything you need you will be given by the sweat of someone else's brow.

I'm retiring this year no matter what, I'll get by somehow, I just pray that I can make it with my health still intact.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    I see so many contributions here from people whose main ambition is to retire early ...pretty sad really that they have jobs that they just don't enjoy. I also read articles about people who retire early and then don't know what to do with their newly acquired leisure ...again pretty sad.
    Well i'm one of those people [and my wife] who retired early, but it didn't mean I didn't enjoy my job. I quite liked it, but I enjoy retirement more.:D
    Oh, and we always buy new cars [not really moneysaving ethos] and keep them for 10-12 years.:cool:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2018 at 8:19PM
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I am planning to retire very early in the next year. All my colleagues are saying that they've many more years to go. I have been reflecting on how I have got to my current financial position. The number one saving has been avoiding private education. Number 2 is avoiding buying posh cars. I normally buy standard cars and maintain them myself till they die. Most of my colleagues buy a new prestigious car every 3 years. I reckon I will retire five years early as a result from my back of a fag packet calculations. I was sat in the Jacuzzi the other day working out my investments.
    Property-slowly increases in value over the years
    Shares-ups and downs but should make plenty.
    Bonds-safer should make a bit.
    New cars-MASSIVE LOSSES GUARANTEED.
    So do people make that connection? Would people rather enjoy years of retirement or have a posh badge on their car? Or would they prefer to deny the association?

You're asking a very loaded question there - with a very clear response being "oh yes, i'd rather retire early".

To contrast, my BIL retired last year aged 56, having driven brand new cars every three years - Preludes, then Accords, then the last 3 - Jaguars. His wife changed her car every three years too - usually a Jazz or similar. They've lived in a detached home in a nice development since they married and will stay there in their retirement years. He worked his way up in the civil service and retired from a Head of Finance role, having worked his way up from an entry level admin person 40 years ago.

So driving a nice car and retiring early arent mutually exclusive - i guess though it depends on your earning potential, how generous your employers pension has been, and how much effort you make yourself as to whether you can do both.

Also, i know of many many people who look back on their lives and say "i wish i'd lived a bit more" or took more chances, or retire with ill health an can do little, or dont make it to retirement at all - my wife was commenting there that of 3 of her friends who got their first management role in BT at the same time and roughly the same age as her some 20 years ago, two of the three of them are now dead. :eek:

And lets not forget that the vast majority of people who dont spend money on nice cars, nice holidays, a nice house, etc live like that because they have no choice - often of course, with protests to the contrary. ;)

And finally, theres retirement and theres "retirement" - very few retire early and can continue to afford to do the things they really want to do. Not much point in retiring if at that point you cant afford to take the holidays and drive the cars you always denied yourself.

IMHO, theres a balance to be had. I want to enjoy life now whilst i'm young enough to do it (48), whilst of course keeping an eye on the longer term, should i be fortunate enough to make it to retirement.
  • motorguy
    edited 4 January 2018 at 8:15PM
    Options

Retire too late and you risk pegging it before you can enjoy your retirement. Like my neighbour who retired at 65 then died 3 months later.

Happened my FIL. Eked out a living for years, awaiting retirement, then died of cancer 3 months after he retired. He sat in a security hut on a minimum wage job for years every night awaiting his pension kicking in.

Conversely, some people dont get as fire as retirement before their number is called.

Theres a balance to be had.

Earlier you can retire the better then enjoy life, go travel, see the world etc. But of course this all depends on if you can afford too. No point in retiring early if you will only have £100 a week to live on etc.

People can enjoy life, go travel and see the world and work? My wife and i do.

If all the difference between retiring or keep on working with a new car, retiring would win hands down.

Clearly, however its never going to be that binary choice is it?
  • motorguy
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Retire.
    The second that you can.
    Live in penury if you must, it is better than working those extra years to be "better off" and then becoming ill- at which point all that money you sweated to save will be used to pay for your care before the state chips in.
    Retire with nothing, and anything you need you will be given by the sweat of someone else's brow.

I'm retiring this year no matter what, I'll get by somehow, I just pray that I can make it with my health still intact.

Am i reading this right? You're saying retire with nothing and let other people - presumably the state - support you? Is that not what all the dole heads down the dole office have done then?

And whats the point of "retiring" just to "get by somehow"?

I'd rather work and enjoy life with the money i earn.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    very few retire early and can continue to afford to do the things they really want to do. Not much point in retiring if at that point you cant afford to take the holidays and drive the cars you always denied yourself.

I used to think like this, and worked hard to put money aside "for my retirement". Now I think I'd rather find a way to live cheaply and do without all those "rewards" I promise myself for working hard by simply not working hard any more.

There's not much point in dropping dead shortly after you retire, or worse before you even get there, because you kept on and on working.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • motorguy
    Options
    I think the reality is, the bulk of people who have retired early can do so because of final salary based pensions and have had long tenure with a particular employer OR have benefited at some point from a property boom.

Interesting article here on how much of a pension pot you'd need to retire @ 55....

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics/will-your-pension-be-big-enough-for-you-to-retire-at-55/

To have a household income of just £26,000 to have a "comfortable" retirement, you'd need a pension pot of £1,300,000 (and presumably have your mortgage cleared by then too)

For a more luxurious retirement (including buying a new car every 10 years!) and having £39,000 of household income for the rest of your days, you'd need a pension pot of £2,000,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure