Re wills and IHT on first death

Options
joe134
joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
edited 16 November 2019 at 4:34AM in Savings & investments
Hi Guys, don’t know if this is right thread to post this ?
I am going through my wife and my financial affairs to make it easier for my wife should I go first.
I have itemised all my bank a/cs and hers should it be vice versa, so she can just put her hand on them.
I don’t know whether she will try and obtain probate on her own, with the kids help, or get a solicitor or other? She says she would try herself ?
I have written everything to do in order of priority to be done, so nothing is missed out causing any problems.
Done a lot of reading up on it!
At present the house is mortgage free and in joint names,and we have approx £300k each in separate bank a/c’s, mostly cash isas and cash bank a/c’s.
No other investments and expensive items,and debt free.
As I understand the IHT rules, if I don’t exceed the £325k in cash in my name, then the house passes to the wife automatically and there should be no IHT to pay, and vice versa, although she has to notify Hmrc before probate is given for IHT purposes.
Is this correct ?

We have only written mirror wills from WHSmith, as I think they are ample for what seems to me to be a straight forward procedure ?
At death, all of my estate passes to her, and vice versa, no gifts etc.
Has anyone handled someone’s affairs with this type of will ?
I have lost a lot of friends lately who used solicitors to draw up wills, and will writers, and OH’s , not all,have had nothing but trouble,and long drawn out expensive experiences hence my WHSmith one.
Any advice would be truly appreciated.
I have not read one post that an executor has dealt with this type of will , or maybe it just wasn’t mentioned.

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My understanding is that there's no iht between spouses so no concern there, and allowance on first death carries forward to the second death.

I'm no fan of solicitors but for a couple of hundred quid to a solicitor I think it's worthwhile getting a will done given there is six figures or more at stake. You don't need a will between spouses, but do for the second death to cover distribution to children, family, friends, charities etc
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 November 2019 at 9:33AM
    Options
    It doesn't sounds like the WHSmith will makes any provision for what happens if you both die at the same time, or within a short time of each other, for example in a traffic accident.

I assume you don't have any dependents otherwise this should worry you.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2019 at 9:28AM
    Options
    As said, no IHT no matter how much you own/leave to each other.
    You say house in joint names but check it's joint tenants not tenants in common. You can do this by checking the Title Register, if it's held as tenants in common there will be the following restriction under Part B Proprietorship Register:

'RESTRICTION: No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court.'

It's probably a good idea to leave a copy of the title with your will and other documents.
    With regard to the will it's probably a minimum to say that if your wife dies before you your estate will go in equal shares to your children, same for your wife's will.
  • joe134
    edited 16 November 2019 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Thanks for replies guys.
    We do have children, grand children and great grand children.
    Wouldn’t say they were dependents though?
    The house is joint tenants, got the land registry title deed with the wills, deeds are with solicitors.
    The bank accounts are not joint !
    Trying to gather as much as possible to make life easier for wife if I go first.
    I did know that the WHSmith wills made no provision of joint deaths, made these out a long while ago before we had as much money to leave.
    When the last one dies, then kids/grandkids/great grandkids will get a percentage each of everything that’s left after disbursements etc, not equal parts.
    That will be stipulated in the will new of the one of us that survives, providing we don’t go together!
    Will get a solicitor to draw up new wills, have thought about it, hence this post.
    The odds of going together are slim, but one never knows.
    Thanks again.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I've helped administer a couple of intestate estates where spouse inherited everything, and they were relatively easy. There was a lot of form filling - note you might have to fill in the IHT forms even if you're nowhere near the threshold, even if the spouse gets everything so there's nothing to pay, you still need to value all possessions etc. We just used rough estimates as clearly there was no way any IHT would be due. Probate done within a couple of months.

If you use a solicitor for probate it'll take longer, as they'll need to do everything by the book eg put an ad in the London Gazette for any debts etc, which isn't really necessary if you knew the deceased and are certain they didn't have any debts (or if you'll inherit it all anyway so it doesn't really matter).

Keep a record of any gifts etc above the relevant thresholds £250/£3000 etc, google them.

If you use a solicitor for the will DO NOT make them the executor, as they then have the monopoly and if they are expensive, slow etc there's nothing you can do. Make your spouse/close relative friend executor, they can always appoint a solicitor if they need to, they aren't forced to use a particular one.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you employ a solicitor to do the work but stay as executors, the solicitors don't have to put an ad in the Gazette - that's a decision for the executors to make.
  • joe134
    edited 16 November 2019 at 12:03PM
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    I've helped administer a couple of intestate estates where spouse inherited everything, and they were relatively easy. There was a lot of form filling - note you might have to fill in the IHT forms even if you're nowhere near the threshold, even if the spouse gets everything so there's nothing to pay, you still need to value all possessions etc. We just used rough estimates as clearly there was no way any IHT would be due. Probate done within a couple of months.

If you use a solicitor for probate it'll take longer, as they'll need to do everything by the book eg put an ad in the London Gazette for any debts etc, which isn't really necessary if you knew the deceased and are certain they didn't have any debts (or if you'll inherit it all anyway so it doesn't really matter).

Keep a record of any gifts etc above the relevant thresholds £250/£3000 etc, google them.

If you use a solicitor for the will DO NOT make them the executor, as they then have the monopoly and if they are expensive, slow etc there's nothing you can do. Make your spouse/close relative friend executor, they can always appoint a solicitor if they need to, they aren't forced to use a particular one.
    Thanks zagflies.
    I reckoned on doing probate myself, not sure if wife would be able to, probably could with Son or Daughters help:rotfl:
    Not exactly savvy with money, as I know to my cost !
    Wife is first executor and only executor on whs wills ,as it was just a straight forward , everything goes to the other.
    Making a new will will change that.

Would make Son second executor, he has lPA.
    Have given lots of money to them over the years, all in the last 7.
    Approx £50k+.
    The house is circa £350k +-, so with money, roughy £950k
    The house left to the kids should allow for IHT on second death, £175k each, after next year, if I’m correct, take it to near the £1 mil.???
    Need to clarify how that works ?
    Have to spend some on ourselves on things we don’t need:eek:
    Don’t want to get involved with trusts etc.
    Have find a good solicitor.
    :(. :beer:
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,909 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could have a look to see if you have a will aid solicitor near you - it's something solicitors do for free once a year in November in return for a donation to charity

https://www.willaid.org.uk/
  • joe134
    edited 16 November 2019 at 12:33PM
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    You could have a look to see if you have a will aid solicitor near you - it's something solicitors do for free once a year in November in return for a donation to charity

https://www.willaid.org.uk/
    Hi thanks for that.
    Read a long article about it yesterday, a thread on here about it.
    Not exactly as it’s advertised, lot of people with bad experiences.
    No such thing as a free lunch, or “ owt for nowt”
    Not in my lifetime anyway
    Will shop around.
    It’s a lottery anyway, as I haven’t a clue what the going rate is for drawing up two mirror wills as discussed on here ?
    Nothing to compare with, and don’t know anyone to recommend one, all my friends that used them are gone.
    :beer::beer:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, don’t know if this is right thread to post this ?
    There is a cheerily-titled Deaths, Funerals & Probate Board where wills and other associated matters are discussed regularly....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure