Redundancy issue

Options
Hi
Hope to get some advice here as recently the company I work for has made few redundancies to cut costs I was not expecting this as I am the only person in the company doing my job and without me they would only be in troubles. When talking to the boss I had simply to open his eyes to let him understand that even a different solution than the current in place (IT) would need someone to take care this constantly, so we agreed to at least a 50% cut of my wage eventhough they had initially proposed me to help them sometime over a reduced part time position of somewhere around 10-15 hours per month (yes per month).
Having agreed for the part time at half of my wage, around 18 hours per week I then had evidences of various sort that this has been a lie. They want to keep me to help the office move which is due in a couple of weeks and then talk to me again saying that they wont need me anymore that a few times per month.
At this point I am worried about my redundancy as they will want to sign me redundancy to part rime which i my understanding will be half of a normal redundancy and then offer me only a reduced part time contract which I will obviously only have to refuse as I cant leave on few pennies per month.
Do you know if they can do this trick of first make me redundant for a part time basis of 18-20 per week to give me a reduced redundancy and then once I agree they will take thye offer back?
Thanks for your attention and precious help.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem being your job was not made redundant (jobs are redundant not people), but was still available in a reduced capacity, to which you agreed to work less hours for 50% of your previous wage.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • knewt
    knewt Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 24 October 2019 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Hi
    I did not mention that this was only over a talk but I have no indication that this has been forwarded and neither I received any letters.
    Is this something that at this stage can still be negotiated?
    Can I refuse a lower income based on the fact that:
    1 I disagree that the position should be reduced as there will be demand no matter what
    2 The salary proposed is unsuitable for my living needs
    Thanks
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You can point out the job is bigger than what is being offered.
    You can't insist it is bigger they make the business decision.

You can refuse on the grounds it is not a suitable alternative.
    But sounds like you already accepted the part time offer.

I would get out and offer your services on contractor terms.

How long have you been there.
    What's the payouts
  • knewt
    First Post
    Options
    I have been there for over two years but again although we were "discussing" of a part time solution, I know for a fact that they have no intentions to honor this arrangement other than offering me a "some-time" basis other than part time.
    What I am trying to get to is that this way I risk to not get my full redundancy as they will:
    1 Switch my position to a 18-20 hours shift (Half redundancy in return)
    2 When everything is in place (office moved and all that) they will instead tell me that they no longer want to have me for the "agreed" hours other than just few per week.
    If they do this, should not be cheating in their favor so to get me a cheap redundancy?
    At this point, having not signed anything or officially been offered this position can I refuse and if this does not go the way it should I just let them make the position redundant?
    Sorry I don't know what you mean by what's the payouts.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    How much redundancy would you get.
  • knewt
    First Post
    Options
    About 2000 pounds
  • getmore4less
    Options
    That amount won't last long

You could try to negotiate that if you do stay on reduced hours that any future redundancy is at the current payout rates.

I would consider staying in work to keep some money coming in and get a another job ASAP.

or

You just refuse the reduced hours job as not a suitable alternative.
    They can then set your redundancy date after the office move if they want.

how long do you think it will take to find another job
  • knewt
    First Post
    edited 26 October 2019 at 10:48AM
    Options
    I know it wont last long and this is also why I am anxious of getting my full redundancy.
    I will definitely try to ask them to promise me a full redundancy as you kindly advised and even if a part time is offered but shouldn't they give me a written statement for this in case they trick me so I can take this to court ?
    Bottom line, is that they don't even want to pay a typical 16-20 hours per week as I know (been told by someone else) that real intention is to keep me on a sometime basis once we move to the new location. I am not sure how long is going to take me to find a new job but hopefully shouldn't be long as I am an experienced and certified IT guy.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For the sake of 2k I'd be investing all my energies in finding a new role, the months of lower wage will be worse than losing out on such a small redundancy.
  • knewt
    First Post
    edited 30 October 2019 at 12:44PM
    Options
    This is infact what I am doing but the reason for me being here is to ask whether they can legally reduce my redundancy based on a part time offer and then ask me to leave and so I will lose my redundancy based on my current wage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure