Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I am paying the price for falling off the diet wagon - a few ounces have gone back on. I am back counting every calorie today.

When we got back from the Remembrance Parade yesterday we couldn't open the electric door on the barn. It turned out the main circuit breaker had flipped. We thought it was probably a power surge but this morning it had flipped again. We did a bit of investigating and found that an outdoor light switch had filled up with water :eek: I'm not surprised, the rain was coming down in sheets last night. Mr F has managed to fix it and, thankfully, the freezer contents hadn't defrosted.

I'm paying the price of a splurge today too. I've spent the mud flap money on another sideboard and, as there was money left over, and the discount was still in force, I've gone for a blanket box too. I've also ordered some clothes as I didn't get to go on the shopping trip this week. It's a nice feeling when your clothes are too big but it does cost. The money will come from personal spends for those though.

We've had our lunch - Marrow & Carrot Soup. And there are still three marrows left - we'll still be eating them by Christmas at this rate :rotfl: Mr F is off on a business trip soon so I'm on my own for supper. It's WI this evening so I'd better save some of my calories for cake ;)

Happy Monday all

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    It's starting to feel as though we're on the countdown to Christmas :eek: I went to my first Christmas event on Thursday - a Christmas Fayre at a local hotel. We made it the venue for this month's girls' night out so killed two birds with one stone. Tickets were £5 and two glasses of mulled wine were included in that price :D I picked up a Christmas present from one of the stalls but the cost of that was met from the gift budget. One of the other ladies drove this time.

I've done most of my Christmas gift shopping on line taking advantage of any cash back, discounts, sale prices and reward points available. Some of this year's gifts have been acquired courtesy of Mr F's Avi0$ points so I've shaved some of the cost of the budget that way.

I mentioned to my neighbour that I was looking for a bird decoration for our tree this year. She found the perfect one whilst out and about and bought it for me :D I will have to find a way of repaying that good deed.

We have friends coming for lunch tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to. We're having curries which I cooked earlier in the week and then apple crumble for pudding. I prepared and froze the apples last month so there will be minimal prep required and I can have a nice relaxing time catching up.

Mr F is pottering around today making sure we remain weatherproof. We are still getting a lot of rain so he wants to make sure all the drains are working as they should.

Having escaped the worst of the autumn flies this year we are now being invaded by wasps! Either a nearby nest has been flooded out and the inhabitants are coming in looking for shelter or it's new queens looking for a hibernation spot. We are getting between 30 to 50 a day though :eek: and there's no sign of where they are getting in.

I have some pottering of my own to do today so I'd better get on.

Have a great weekend folks.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Goodness me Fortune, 30-50 wasps a day?? :eek: (I'm trying to think if there's a way to repurpose them as Christmas decorations :rotfl: :rotfl: ) Hope you can sort it out soon. Most impressed with your festive preparations though :j :j I was pleased with myself for doing some Christmas shopping with the nectar points event but you've taken it to a whole other level! :j
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Goodness me Fortune, 30-50 wasps a day?? :eek: (I'm trying to think if there's a way to repurpose them as Christmas decorations :rotfl: :rotfl: ) Hope you can sort it out soon. Most impressed with your festive preparations though :j :j I was pleased with myself for doing some Christmas shopping with the nectar points event but you've taken it to a whole other level! :j

I know! Get me! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Not really :) Although, it sounds impressive, we don't buy many Christmas presents as, now the boys are adults, we do a Secret Santa for family.

I'm hoping the wasp numbers will start declining soon. In the meantime, I'm having to be very thorough with the vaccum :eek:

Fortune x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well thank goodness for all your vacuums!:rotfl: :D :rotfl,:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Coming for lunch tomorrow :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Well thank goodness for all your vacuums!:rotfl: :D :rotfl,:

This is why I have so many :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Coming for lunch tomorrow :)

I've just set a place for you Beanie :)

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    It's a lovely crisp morning. So much nicer than the damp and dreary mornings we've been having of late. The long range forecast looks a bit iffy though with a good chance of snow throughout the winter. Having survived four heavy snow falls our first winter here I'm not taking any chances, particularly as Mr F is away from home so much. I don't have the Defender now and I wouldn't chance the new car on our little lanes so have made preparations:
    • I've ordered more oil. It won't ever go to waste and better safe than sorry
    • I've been buying a few extra tins and things with the shopping each week. Primarily in case there were any hiccups caused by Brexit but it's also useful to have a store cupboard if I can't get out and about because of weather or illness. I ordered extra with FDawg's food order yesterday as well
    • Mr F will be reorganising the log store this weekend and taking the chainsaw to the old fence posts we replaced so we should have enough fuel for the burner
    • He got the gas canisters for the camping stove filled last weekend.

So, if the worst happens, we can stay warm and fed. Perhaps it's overkill but I remember being here, on my own, with pneumonia, in the snow and running low on oil. Even when the snow cleared, it took ages to get a delivery because they were so behind. When we were in Kent, our across the lane neighbours lost electricity after a storm for 7 days... over Christmas. I love our rural life but it would get a bit Dickensian without electricity. And we're not within walking distance of anywhere. Anyhoo, I feel as though I have a bit of a safety net now.

I rejigged the budget to accommodate the extra costs and I think we can still do Christmas without dipping into savings.

I'm waiting to see whether the Annex gets booked this weekend. I've had an enquiry from someone who wanted to book for a friend but third party bookings are against Airbnb's policy and leave you exposed should there be a problem. I declined the booking and explained why the guest would need to book direct but haven't heard anything since. If they don't book today they won't be able to as I have a three day advanced notice requirement. I haven't counted on any income coming in from the Annex during the winter but a little extra would be nice of course.

Right, lunch needs making so off I go to the kitchen.

See you soon

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    There's not much to report.

The potential guest for this weekend didn't book in the end and we've no further interest at the moment. I've blocked out dates when we have visitors in the house over the Christmas period and I'd struggle to turn the Annex over. So, I don't think we'll have any @irbnb money coming in now until next season.

Mr F spent the day chopping up the old fence posts we replaced last winter. They have almost filled up one section of our log store so a good boost to supplies.

I've been making my own granola and muesli so that's provided quite a few breakfasts this week with various fruits and compotes. Other meals have been largely from the freezer to create a little space for Christmas preparations.

Other than that we are just ticking along. I shall make the most of it - the Christmas whirlwind will start up soon enough :rotfl:

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback