Buying funds,,why so many indentifiers eg ISIN,SEDOL,Mex etc

Options
is there a reason why we dont have one system and one identifier? it creates confusion. Also why dont we have a website which translates one identifier into all the others it is known by.

I am currently looking at MEX:VVFUSI which confusingly appears to be a Vanguard acc fund but has an I o the end whereas the income version of the same fund has an A on the end of its MEX code i think. Why not just stick to ISINs..?
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Originally, codes were issued to certain asset types by different companies. So, they it all started with in-house ways to identify certain funds and investments. Some wouldn't have a code on certain methods. Over time, the lesser methods dropped away and you are left with the main identifiers with about four (ISIN, Mex, Citi and Sedol).
    Why not just stick to ISINs..?

If that is your preferred method, then you can do that and ignore the rest.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes bit different platforms use different codes. If i go look at the KIID it may not list all the codes it may not list all the codes a particular fund is known by. Its time they standardised or the industry provided a lookup directory
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Mr.Saver
    Options
    Why not just stick to ISINs..?
    Because a security trading on multiple exchanges and denominated in different currencies will have the same ISIN on each.

E.g.: an ETF trading on both LSE in GBP and NYSE in USD would have the same ISIN, but you can't but the same EFT from LSE using GBP and then sell it on NYSE for USD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure