Exercise bike or cross trainer?

Options
I'm thinking of buying an exercise bike, but recently read that they're not necessarily the best for a bit of general exercise. I'd thought of a cross trainer, but space is a bit of an issue. I've had a look around on the internet but there's so much out there. Can anyone offer suggestions, please?

Comments

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought an exercise bike and then an elliptical
    I much prefer the elliptical to the bike. But if space is in issue, you might have to go with the bike.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love cross trainers, simply because they provide a better all round workout, however, they can be quite bulky, particularly the better ones.
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    if you have the space, I would go for the cross trainer - reason being, it will work out more areas of your body, depending on your stance, grip and resistance applied. you will work your legs, arms, back, chest and stomach/abs, whereas on a bike you tend to only use your legs.
    think of the movement - you are seated on a bike, on the cross trainer you are standing and doing a full body workout, and can easily reduce or increase the speed, resistance and time depending on your own fitness.

I have seen Nordic Track ones that seem "slimmer" and shorter than the techno-gym versions, so should take up less space
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • Nic246
    Nic246 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I would go for the cross trainer if you have enough room, as I feel like they provide a better workout for your body as you're using arms and legs.
    However, if you don't have the space then a bike is also good!
  • DaveBullock_
    Options
    Definitely prefer a cross trainer, always seem to be putting in more graft when im using a cross trainer instead of a bike. All personal preference i believe though. Depends on the main goal as to why you want want either really?
  • gaz_moose
    Options
    what about a rowing machine?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    gaz_moose wrote: »
    what about a rowing machine?

Andrew Mar had a stroke using one. Puts me right off!
  • flanker6
    Options
    Definitely prefer bike :T
    It engages with every muscle

Does it? How does it engage with Lats, biceps, deltoids or traps?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    flanker6 wrote: »
    Does it? How does it engage with Lats, biceps, deltoids or traps?
    By using it with your hands on the pedals instead of the feet?
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you're thinking about ordering online - whatever you choose - make sure you ask about delivery times. I've just ordered a piece of equipment - and some suppliers are now quoting up to 21 days for delivery (previously 5 days delivery) - there's a bit of panic buying going on with all the gym people who are now deciding to 'gym from home'.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback