We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Email from the AA - 'Password changed correctly' - AA hacked?

Options

Comments

• notsubutai
    Options
    I had this email overnight. I went on their website in the morning. Everything was fine with my login for Insurance documents but when I tried the other login for Breakdown, it said my password was incorrect. I then tried to change the password and clicked the email reset option but nothing happened. Tried to click again but still no joy. At that point, I was going to be late for work so left it. Clearly something is wrong with part of their website. Hopefully, as others say just an IT issue.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not a newspaper you'd expect to getting any real news from, but:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/625173/AA-mass-email-password-members-account-lockout

It's a pity the AA can't get its act together and own up to what's happened.
  • Former_MSE_Matt
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know we investigated the AA situation as you all aired concerns and have now published a news article covering what we know.

Please see the article HERE and let us know if you have heard more or would like to discuss the news article further in the news comments section.

Thanks
    Matt

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Doc_N
    Options
    They're now saying (I just phoned them and pushed them a bit for further detailed information):

1 The first emails went out yesterday afternoon (although I suspect that's not true).

2 The reason it's not possible to log into the website is that it's overloaded (again, I suspect that's not true because it was like that late last night).

3 The emails were sent out by the AA, but they're not sure who sent them out (that's a little odd, isn't it?).

4 The website hasn't been hacked and all personal details are secure (I'm becoming increasingly doubtful about everything they say now).

5 A detailed email will be going out soon to all members (that's about the only bit I have any real faith in).
  • Stumble_On
    Options
    I think there's more to it than they're revealing so far. I got the email around 11pm last night, went straight to the AA site to try and log in and change my password, then I got the following warning in Chrome after trying to log in:
    Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from .theaa.com (for example passwords, messages or credit cards) NET;:ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
  • The_AA_Company_Representative
    The_AA_Company_Representative Posts: 251 Organisation Representative
    Options
    We replied earlier in this thread so wanted to provide an update.

Some may have recently received an email from our email address - email@info.theaa.com, incorrectly letting them know that their password had been changed.

The email was sent by us, the AA, but in error. We are sorry for any confusion or concern we may have caused. We would like to reassure everyone who received this email that their passwords have NOT been changed and their personal data remains secure.

Our customers do not need to do anything further or contact us.

Once again, we are sorry for any confusion we may have caused.

Kindest regards,
    The AA's Social Media Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Doc_N
    Options
    We replied earlier in this thread so wanted to provide an update.

Some may have recently received an email from our email address - email@info.theaa.com, incorrectly letting them know that their password had been changed.

The email was sent by us, the AA, but in error. We are sorry for any confusion or concern we may have caused. We would like to reassure everyone who received this email that their passwords have NOT been changed and their personal data remains secure.

Our customers do not need to do anything further or contact us.

Kindest regards,
    The AA's Social Media Team

Could you please explain, then, why it is that people are no longer able to log into their accounts?

And why when you ask for a password reset you get this:

"Sorry, something's gone wrong. Please call us on 0330 102 8005"

Are you being completely honest with us?
  • Doc_N
    Options
    And how genuine, AA Company Representative, is this likely to be, please? I've now lost all confidence in the AA!

Hi Doc N ,

To set up a new password so that you can sign into My AA, please follow this link.

http://link.to.recover.password

Thanks,

The AA team

If you didn't set up a My AA account, please let us know by calling 0330 102 8005.
  • Ayeshalush
    Ayeshalush Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I called about this issue this morning I was told that I couldn't log in because everyone had been locked out of their accounts while IT resolved the issue.
  • Silver_Shark
    Silver_Shark Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Email received:

Dear Member/Customer

You may have recently received an email from our email address - email@info.theaa.com, incorrectly letting you know that your password had been changed.

The email was sent by the AA but in error. We are sorry for any confusion or concern we may have caused you. I would like to reassure you that your password has NOT been changed and your personal data remains secure.

You do not need to do anything further or contact us.

Edmund King
    AA President
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills