PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Please help

Options

Comments

• azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds awful and I do hope you can resolve this as soon as possible.

I have now read your previous posts and I have a fuller understanding of your situation.

Take care.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2012 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Formal complaint to police. Go to the police station (with a friend for support and witness) and insist on seeing a senior officer. Insist they take your statement and log a complaint

Press for assault charge on landlord.

Press for a charge of breaking and entering.

Quote the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 (print it off and take it with you).

You must get on police record your version of what happrened because this is going to repeat and possibly escalate. Nex time you call the police, they may not even come UNLESS you have escallated the matter up the ranks and got them to take it seriously.

Next - protection.
    1) keep the new locks AND USE THEM - for goodness sake: you knew what the LL was like, and what he intended, and yet
    Front door open cos kids playing
    Keep the doors shut and locked! Change the lock on BOTH of them, then when you go out, lock the inner door behind you before opening the outer one, so even if he is out there and pushes passed you, he can't get past the inner one.

Has he got a back 0door key? CHANGE THAT TOO.

Get onto solicitor and council and Shelter on Monday (earlier if you have emergency numbers). Get a court injunction as advised.

So sorry, and best of luck.

edit: what part of the country are you? Maybe half a dozen of us (the beefier ones) should pop round the LL's house and have a friendly word......?

Note: If police
    Said if I presses charges that they'd arrest us all.
    I'd be interested to know what they plan to charge you with....
  • cran81
    cran81 Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2012 at 8:27PM
    Options
    azzabazza wrote: »
    I apologise, I had great difficulty trying to understand the post. I was in no way being critical.
    picklepick wrote: »
    I'd go to the police station and say you want to make a formal complaint. They have to listen to you. Print out all the information that you can find that backs up your position and take it with you.

I'd called the met police to say I wanted to make a formal complaint. As a result of that the sargeant called back. Ipcc not open until monday. Sargeant said police couldn't arrest anyone cos don't know who to believe. Does that make sense? 3 999 calls fr me and they don't know who to believe?
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2012 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Sargeant said police couldn't arrest anyone cos don't know who to believe. Does that make sense?

Yep, they'd end up arresting both parties, interviewing under caution and then working with CPS to decide if there was sufficient evidence to get a conviction, otherwise they'd NFA (no further action) the case.

TBH OP, if you are cussing like a sailor when the bizzies turn up, I guess they are wondering who the injured party is.

Anyhow, you need to contact the complaints dept. of the force directly. - http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/professional_standards_contact_details.aspx
  • cran81
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Formal complaint to police. Go to the police station (with a friend for support and witness) and insist on seeing a senior officer. Insist they take your statement and log a complaint

Press for assault charge on landlord.

Press for a charge of breaking and entering.

Quote the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 (print it off and take it with you).

You must get on police record your version of what happrened because this is going to repeat and possibly escalate. Nex time you call the police, they may not even come UNLESS you have escallated the matter up the ranks and got them to take it seriously.

Next - protection.
    1) keep the new locks AND USE THEM - for goodness sake: you knew what the LL was like, and what he intended, and yet Keep the doors shut and locked! Change the lock on BOTH of them, then when you go out, lock the inner door behind you before opening the outer one, so even if he is out there and pushes passed you, he can't get past the inner one.

Has he got a back 0door key? CHANGE THAT TOO.

Get onto solicitor and council and Shelter on Monday (earlier if you have emergency numbers). Get a court injunction as advised.

So sorry, and best of luck.

edit: what part of the country are you? Maybe half a dozen of us (the beefier ones) should pop round the LL's house and have a friendly word......?

Note: If police I'd be interested to know what they plan to charge you with....

Hi g_m I'm in essex. The police said don't know who to believe so would arrest us all. One of doors was obviously broken which I showed police. They said ll said already broken. They said the ll and friend could counter charge. As kids dad had pushed him then that would be assault. She'd pulledy hair and scratchedme but didn't seem too concerned. The logic that if they hadn't come none of this would have happened. But they don't inderstand that.
    By the way police operator said he was going to put under that reference that he advised change of locks and told me to put bolt on door. Sargeant said operator in wrong. Who would not go crazy? Definitely going sol on morning. Looking for somewhere ASAP. Just having panic attacks and scared. Putting bookcase against front door and blocking back door. You know when you just feel like giving up.
  • G_M
    Options
    Yes, you have to keep calm when police turn up, and be polite, explain issue calmly.

But the main factor here is the lock change and KEEPING THE DOORS LOCKED. If the door is locked then the LL will either

1) be stuck outside - and you get him charged for harrasment, public nuisance, threatening behavior OR

2) if he is inside it means he's forced his way in (broken the lock) in which case there is clear evidence of breaking and entering

Your problem arose because the door was open, so a confrontation arose between you without any forced entry - so as you say the police don't know whoto believe.

Protect yourself. USE THE LOCKS
  • cran81
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    Yep, they'd end up arresting both parties, interviewing under caution and then working with CPS to decide if there was sufficient evidence to get a conviction, otherwise they'd NFA (no further action) the case.

TBH OP, if you are cussing like a sailor when the bizzies turn up, I guess they are wondering who the injured party is.

Oh no no no I wasn't swearing. I haven't ever sworn. I even tried to be calm and explain situation with agent. I just posted on here with that cos head all over the place. Soz for swearing. Just so do do shocked. Even in all communication with ll I've been civil and polite. Even now. I'm not that stupid. Just keep rehashing it in my brain and upset and disgusted with police attitude
  • cran81
    edited 7 July 2012 at 8:50PM
    Options
    Yes, you have to keep calm when police turn up, and be polite, explain issue calmly.

But the main factor here is the lock change and KEEPING THE DOORS LOCKED. If the door is locked then the LL will either

1) be stuck outside - and you get him charged for harrasment, public nuisance, threatening behavior OR

2) if he is inside it means he's forced his way in (broken the lock) in which case there is clear evidence of breaking and entering

Your problem arose because the door was open, so a confrontation arose between you without any forced entry - so as you say the police don't know whoto believe.

Protect yourself. USE THE LOCKS
    No gm u have two doors. The front one open but inside one locked. That's door they caused damage to. Police could see that. The ll claimed already broken. That's why I'm scared because I did what was suggested and they stil came in.
    I was very polite to the police, in tears very upset and angry but never raised voice. Never screamed or spoke to ll. Told police what happened just waited for police to speak and then told them my thoughts. 3 calls i have learnt how police work and how they like being in charge and in the right.
    I'm starting to hate the police and not trust them at all.
  • G_M
    Options
    As I said, follow up by visit to police station and insist on seeing a senior officer.

OK guys - anyone in Essex?
  • cran81
    Options
    As I said, follow up by visit to police station and insist on seeing a senior officer.

OK guys - anyone in Essex?

Is sargeant not senior? Cos he called me back te complaint
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills