We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dirty public toilets

Options

Comments

• Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gotta say the ones I've visited in the uk are lovely compared to the hole in the ground i was subjected to in french rest stops!!! Now that was an experiance!!!
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Public loos are now few and far between.

Here in Manchester pre 1980s we had plenty of old victorian underground loos with lovely tiling and attendants with those cubicles having polished brass locks and a penny slot.

You couldnt have public loos now.

They would be full of vomit,poo and much abused by homosexuals and drug addicts.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Public loos are now few and far between.

Here in Manchester pre 1980s we had plenty of old victorian underground loos with lovely tiling and attendants with those cubicles having polished brass locks and a penny slot.

You couldnt have public loos now.

They would be full of vomit,poo and much abused by homosexuals and drug addicts.

You cheeky cottager :)
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• MoaningMyrtle
    Options
    The cleanest ones are in shopping centres I find. Not that I use 'em unless I really have to. Only ever for a number one.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • nancyo
    nancyo Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    I recently had a disgusting experience in a public toilet...usually I can hold but I had been shopping for 4 hours and went for a bite to eat! Went into their toilet - you could clearly see someone had been for a number two, they had flushed although was bits there...I lifted the seat up to hover to pee and there was sh*t underneath the seat...I couldnt get out of there fast enough, totally disgusting and I had to tell everyone in the queue not to use that toilet :( some people just cant clean up after themselves!!!!
  • Norant
    Norant Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    There are two public toilets in Northampton that have been awarded the best public convieniences in the country for many years i have used these and they are very very clean and tidy,and they are a credit to the staff that work there.....Its hard to believe such an award exists but it does.

there are also many toilets in Northampton town centre that i would not even dream to go in no matter what.
    Forum spellcheckers are the pitts.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Personally I've never liked public toilets and they've given me nothing but grief.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    I think a big part of it is that people respect the facilities more. It amazes the cretin do in some public toilets.

Exactly. I work in a large central public library and we used to have a public toilet (the only one in the town!). We had to close it as we could only afford to have cleaner come in once a day. It would be spotless when we opened, but by lunchtime it would be disgusting. As other people have said a lot of people seem incapable of going to the loo without getting it all over the seat. People don't clean up when they make a mess. There was a changing table in there which was frequently left in a disgusting state. There was a nappy bin, but people would still leave nappies on the changing mat or even on the sink. The toilets would be blocked from people flushing sanitary towels down the toilet (there were bins provided in the cubicle). Taps would be left on (I could never work out why people are incapable of turning off a tap). We were so short-staffed that we couldn't possibly spare anyone to clean them throughout the day.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I've never liked public toilets and they've given me nothing but fast love.

;)

Edited for...
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At least you have public toilets. The ones around here have been closed by the council. I can't say I blame them, they were constantly being vandalised by teenagers and the like, and after repairing them about 5 times they have decided they can no longer afford to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport