What a mess I'm going to be in!

Options

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just to add in a little hug from me! nothing to add to what everyone else is saying, but try to hang tight and dont make any rash financial decisions, i know how much pressure there can be to get it all *done & dusted*

Lots of love xx
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    And the reason we answer so quickly is coz this place is bloody addictive! Plus we haven't got lives! :p :rotfl:

Oh ****! But I have got work in the morning! :eek: :rotfl:

So true!

As for whose debts are whose ... very straightforward. If it's your name on the agreement, it's yours. If it's his name on the agreement, it's his.

If it's joint, you're both liable for the whole amount.

And if you want to argue about it through solicitors, well - you're going to owe money to the solicitors too.

So we want to know about your debts and any in joint names.

Regards

fb
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Hey there and welcome :)

It seems as though if you've got lots of debt on lots of cards, you must have lots of things to show for it?

If your OH is taking any property, make sure he pays you the amount of the item if it's "on one of your cards" as such. Do you need all the stuff you've bought? Maybe you could sell the things you don't want/need any more and pipe the money straight in to clearing off the cards in YOUR name :)

I'm eager for your SoA too. Your cottage home with stables sounds absolutely lovely, and very cheap!!! You want a housemate? :D
  • lou_lou_skinty_poos
    Options
    sorry to hear of ure problems but like everyone else has said only pay the debts u have to that are in ure name!! although ure husband is saying he will pay u maintenance be aware if he doesnt stick to it the csa will get money off him until ure daughter is 19 and in full time education if she gets a job he doesnt have to pay anything. any way just post ure thread here so everyone can keep uo with ure progress good luck!!!!! ;)
    current debt standing at 27500 :eek:

in a dmp with payplan feeling better about my debts

debt free: 2012

oh and i owe 8 grand student loans 2 :mad:

still owe the student loans ha ha :p
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Chaos re the SOA if you just start a new thread with SOA in the title people will soon be in to help you with things :D So sorry to hear of your difficulties its hard enough to handle debts without a breakup too wish you all the best you've come to the right place :T
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the debt in joint names or just yours?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    Here is a voice laden with experience......do not take on any more than your share of the debt. DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR HIM! I have been there and done that and have spent the past 6 months in absolute misery because of it. You have two people to support.......yourself and your daughter. He presumably has just himself.

I have myself and two teenage daughters to support but made the big mistake of taking out a £2000 overdraft to help my single ex-husband! How STUPID is that?

Please do not take on any more than your share and, I repeat......

DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR HIM
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • chaos5678
    chaos5678 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Is the debt in joint names or just yours?

• Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ceegee wrote:
    DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR HIM

I can remember sitting in a Brewsters once, having a quiet drink whilst my kids were busy in the play area.

This female, sat on a table not too far away, was telling her friend in calm detail about how she was planning to buy this, buy that, ahead of her planned separation from her husband.

She had even selected her new home.

She was planning to give her husband as little access as possible to her children.

There was absolutely no emotion in her voice - just her cool, calculated plans over how she was going to take her husband to the cleaners.

Always remember that at the time, I felt very sorry for the chap concerned.

Duder
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Dude......they are some really horrible people around, of both sexes!

There are some women who are out to "screw" their ex-husbands for everything they can and there are some men who completely ignore their share of the financial responsibility in marriage breakups. (I'm talking about when there are children involved.)

Also, there are the cases when it is all nice and agreed and fair to start off with and then, a few years down the line, it all goes pear-shaped for whatever reason.

So much hurt, for so many people....and as for when the children feel caught in the middle, well, it's heartbreaking. :sad:
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport