We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Words or phrases that annoy you

Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February 2016 at 10:41PM
    Options
    People who say UMBERDOODLE (umbrella) should be shot

Similarly, wotsit, doo-dah and thingymabobber make blood come out of my ears

Wait until you're old(er) and you start to forget the names of things!:o
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Arthog wrote: »
    Waiting staff in restaurants who say ''no problem' constantly. We count them, out loud! The record is 14 for one meal!
    People on the radio being interviewed who say Y'know over and over again. This is done by all kinds of people, not only those who may be nervous, but people who are very experienced in the media.

Not a word or phrase, but at the moment I am irritated by female broadcasters whose voices make them sound like 12-year-olds. Surely they do some training?

People who order in restaurants or take aways by saying "Can I get" rather than "Can I have" or just "I'd like".
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, not tonight. I've got a headache.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    Somethink instead of something...Drives me bonkers
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lulu_92 wrote: »
    People who pronounce the word "tortoise" as "toytoyse"

That's nearly how we pronounce it in South Wales. Tortoyse

It's not tort-us, is it?

Again, pronunciation varies. I was puzzled by a colleague who said we need 'lairs'.

My classroom could be described as my lair, but she was referring to the inadequate heating and the need for sweaters and cardies, layers.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • PenguinOfDeath
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Again, pronunciation varies. I was puzzled by a colleague who said we need 'lairs'.

My classroom could be described as my lair, but she was referring to the inadequate heating and the need for sweaters and cardies, layers.

Is she Mary Berry? ;)
  • foolofbeans
    Options
    Many annoying words already mentioned.
    I detest the latest trend to reply "definitely" when the answer "yes" suffices. Not so bad the first time but when it is repeated again and again I get irritated.
    The teenage habit of saying "is it actually?" to any statement e.g. "this is the last of the lemonade" gets the response "is it actually?" YES! It actually is otherwise why would I say it?!
    When OH calls coleslaw coldslaw :mad: and has to itch his back no matter how many times I tell him he scratches his back DUE to an itch.
    One that has always bothered me is when adults pronounce hospital as hospical. It seems to be a Lancashire trait and annoys me that grown ups think this is acceptable.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many annoying words already mentioned.
    I detest the latest trend to reply "definitely" when the answer "yes" suffices. Not so bad the first time but when it is repeated again and again I get irritated.
    The teenage habit of saying "is it actually?" to any statement e.g. "this is the last of the lemonade" gets the response "is it actually?" YES! It actually is otherwise why would I say it?!
    When OH calls coleslaw coldslaw :mad: and has to itch his back no matter how many times I tell him he scratches his back DUE to an itch.
    One that has always bothered me is when adults pronounce hospital as hospical. It seems to be a Lancashire trait and annoys me that grown ups think this is acceptable.

People who say plug when they mean socket.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Back in old school style txt the word i hated most was 'wif' just say with of wiv not wif :mad:
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that most of mine have already been mentioned......

"Little Princess/Prince".....Usually seen on FB with a picture of either a particularly unappealing toddler, or worse...a scan picture of a foetus.

"We're pregnant".....Aaaarrgghh!

People (ok, usually women) who give their car a name. And eyelashes.

Any member of my family, who lives with me in our home, who says "I'll do the washing-up for you". As though the mess in the kitchen was created solely for my dinner (tea?)

"Skinny Latte"...or any other description on a poncy coffee menu. (Is there such a thing as a "Fat Latte"?)

"There must be something in it"...Usually when talking about stuff such as psychics, mediums, homeopathy etc etc. No, there's nothing in it!

"Babe"...I recently sat next to my 54 year old friend on the train, his 49 year old partner rang him and he called her "babe", to which I immediately said "Oh, like the pig"....I actually know, and like his girlfriend, but it just sounds so childish. (Mind you, my husband calls me "Petal" so I shouldn't really comment :rotfl:)

People who call their young sons "My little man"...No, he's a little boy. Tom Cruise is a little man. There is a difference.

"House husband".....not "Full-time Daddy" then? (I honestly don't know what is worse?)

"Customers" or "End-users"...When used by train companies (they mean passengers) or hospitals (they mean patients)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport