PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Microwaveable sponge recipe

Options
Hey

Thinking of doing a syrup sponge pudding for desert later and was wondering whether anyone knows a quick microwave recipe :confused: Dont want it too heavy either. Have looked through the index recipes and cant find anything but my eyes are playing up today.

Only needs to be small-just the 3 of us.

Thank so much

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just use my standard victoria sponge recipe. A two egg mix will be ample for three people. I grease a pudding bowl, pour the syrup in the bottom and the mix on top.

I must admit I have no idea how long I cook it for though. I just bung it in and take it out when it seems ready (about three minutes I think).
  • kingarhu
    kingarhu Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    100g soft margarine
    100g castor sugar
    2 beaten eggs
    100g self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2-3 tbsp syrup (or whatever)
    Grease a 1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin, then beat together everything except the syrup. Put the syrup into the pudding basin and top with the mixture. Smooth, cover with cling film and cook for about 4 mins (depends on the power of the microwave). Insert a cocktail stick or skewer into the centre, and if it comes out clean, it's cooked, if not do it for a few seconds more. DON'T OVERCOOK IT. Leave it to stand for about 5 minutes then serve. This doesn't keep at all well, but is delicious so hopefully that won't be a problem.
    Hmmm, I'm quite hungry now. :drool:
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Thanks guys...your all gems!!

PP
    XX
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did post a simple microwave "steamed pudding" recipe with many variations on here a few months ago, which I'm sure will be in one of the many indices somewhere ;)

I'll go and have a look if you can't find it :)

Edit: Whoops I see Trow beat me to it and has already given you the link :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    we usually keep a bit of syrup back for pouring over as it does tend to soak up the treacle like a sponge.
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got a recipe for making sponge pudding in the microwave from one of the threads on here - Apologies, I cannot remember who it was but thank you for sharing it -Anyhow, I wanted to make a syrup one for pudding after tea. I am going to my mums for dinner and offered to provide dessert. Can I make it now and reheat it, or should I make it there. I ask beacuse I'm worried about transporting a pudding bowl of mixture! and also because I want to check that it turns out ok :rotfl:
    If I can reheat it, how long roughly would it require?
    Another question (sorry) is do I put the syrup in the bowl before the sponge mix :confused: Any other variations on syrup pudding?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Edit to add: It was Curry Queen's recipe - thank you CQ!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I always put the syrup in, then the pudding mixture. There is no problems reheating it, although i find the syrup goes a bit lumpy if its reheated, still tastes lovely tho!!!! Whenever i have reheated sponge pudding, i normally portion it up and reheat in its serving bowl (normally with custard on top!!!)i like mine hot so about two minutes, children warm so 1 minute.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Also, chocolate sauce or jam instead of syrup is lovely!!!!
  • Skintmama
    Options
    I think the OP for this recipe was Curry Queen.

Inspired to try this last night, spur of the moment decision and made a syrup one. Not sure where I went wrong, mine was heavy and not well risen. Did I cook it too long or not long enough? I din't !!!!!! the clingfilm at first so it sealed down over the pud in the dish. I then loosened it which seemed to help a bit. Maybe it is just my decrepit microwave at fault (or its owner lol) but would like tips from those who have successfully made this pudding. However, it did taste nice, just um rather solid :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure