Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 4th Sep 05, 2:41 PM
    • 6,547 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    • 4th Sep 05, 2:41 PM
    • 4th Sep 05, 2:41 PM
    I just use my standard victoria sponge recipe. A two egg mix will be ample for three people. I grease a pudding bowl, pour the syrup in the bottom and the mix on top.

I must admit I have no idea how long I cook it for though. I just bung it in and take it out when it seems ready (about three minutes I think).
    • Trow
    • By Trow 4th Sep 05, 2:45 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 4th Sep 05, 2:45 PM
    • 4th Sep 05, 2:45 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=523656&postcount=135
    • kingarhu
    • By kingarhu 4th Sep 05, 3:01 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    kingarhu
    • 4th Sep 05, 3:01 PM
    • 4th Sep 05, 3:01 PM
    100g soft margarine
    100g castor sugar
    2 beaten eggs
    100g self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2-3 tbsp syrup (or whatever)
    Grease a 1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin, then beat together everything except the syrup. Put the syrup into the pudding basin and top with the mixture. Smooth, cover with cling film and cook for about 4 mins (depends on the power of the microwave). Insert a cocktail stick or skewer into the centre, and if it comes out clean, it's cooked, if not do it for a few seconds more. DON'T OVERCOOK IT. Leave it to stand for about 5 minutes then serve. This doesn't keep at all well, but is delicious so hopefully that won't be a problem.
    Hmmm, I'm quite hungry now.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 4th Sep 05, 3:10 PM
    • 4th Sep 05, 3:10 PM
    Thanks guys...your all gems!!

PP
    XX
    Last edited by Penny-Pincher!!; 20-10-2008 at 1:10 PM.
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 4th Sep 05, 4:36 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 4th Sep 05, 4:36 PM
    • 4th Sep 05, 4:36 PM
    I did post a simple microwave "steamed pudding" recipe with many variations on here a few months ago, which I'm sure will be in one of the many indices somewhere

I'll go and have a look if you can't find it

Edit: Whoops I see Trow beat me to it and has already given you the link
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• culpepper
    • By culpepper 4th Sep 05, 5:54 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 4th Sep 05, 5:54 PM
    • 4th Sep 05, 5:54 PM
    we usually keep a bit of syrup back for pouring over as it does tend to soak up the treacle like a sponge.
  • honey28
    • 26th Feb 06, 10:15 AM
    Quick Question about Microwave sponge pudding
    • 26th Feb 06, 10:15 AM
    I got a recipe for making sponge pudding in the microwave from one of the threads on here - Apologies, I cannot remember who it was but thank you for sharing it -Anyhow, I wanted to make a syrup one for pudding after tea. I am going to my mums for dinner and offered to provide dessert. Can I make it now and reheat it, or should I make it there. I ask beacuse I'm worried about transporting a pudding bowl of mixture! and also because I want to check that it turns out ok
    If I can reheat it, how long roughly would it require?
    Another question (sorry) is do I put the syrup in the bowl before the sponge mix :confused: Any other variations on syrup pudding?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Edit to add: It was Curry Queen's recipe - thank you CQ!
    Last edited by honey28; 26-02-2006 at 10:26 AM. Reason: To add a bit
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 26th Feb 06, 10:28 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 26th Feb 06, 10:28 AM
    • 26th Feb 06, 10:28 AM
    I always put the syrup in, then the pudding mixture. There is no problems reheating it, although i find the syrup goes a bit lumpy if its reheated, still tastes lovely tho!!!! Whenever i have reheated sponge pudding, i normally portion it up and reheat in its serving bowl (normally with custard on top!!!)i like mine hot so about two minutes, children warm so 1 minute.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 26th Feb 06, 10:29 AM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Also, chocolate sauce or jam instead of syrup is lovely!!!!
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 26th Feb 06, 2:36 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Skintmama
    I think the OP for this recipe was Curry Queen.

Inspired to try this last night, spur of the moment decision and made a syrup one. Not sure where I went wrong, mine was heavy and not well risen. Did I cook it too long or not long enough? I din't !!!!! the clingfilm at first so it sealed down over the pud in the dish. I then loosened it which seemed to help a bit. Maybe it is just my decrepit microwave at fault (or its owner lol) but would like tips from those who have successfully made this pudding. However, it did taste nice, just um rather solid
    • Trow
    • By Trow 26th Feb 06, 3:07 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    I always leave a gap in the clingfilm for the steam to escape, and it has always been perfect - I don't make a hole, I just leave it open a bit at the side - I make it in a bowl with a pouring lip, so leave it open at that bit. It seems a bit fragile though, so I imagine it could collapse if it was cooked for too long... not sure though!
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 26th Feb 06, 3:18 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Thanks Trow,
    There was nothing fragile about mine
    I reckon I probably did the damage in the first minutes before I loosened the film. I will definitely try your method next time.
    • nikiyoung
    • By nikiyoung 26th Feb 06, 6:22 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    nikiyoung
    Nuttella (or lidel's version) at the bottom works well- kids love it! or mix a handfull of rasins into the mix with golden syrup at the bottom (ok that is why I am the size I am!!)
    I don't bother with the cling-film I put the mixture into a mug and micro for about 2 to 3 min then check. Hubby's and DD1 Fav BUT have to have loads of custard with!!
    Niki
  • honey28
    Thanks for all the replies. I made the syrup one this evening and there were clean bowls all round! We had it with custard too
    I fancy that one with nutella, think a chocolate one will be on the menu next!
    • lucylou
    • By lucylou 26th Feb 06, 9:37 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    lucylou
    Hi I have another similar recipe which I got from a microwave recipe book.It's for one person

SINGLE SERVE SPONGE PUDDING WITH JAM SAUCE
    cooking time :about three minutes
    40 gr (1 and a half oz) self raising flour
    25 g (1oz) soft margarine
    25 g (1oz9 caster sugar
    one size 4 egg, beaten
    10 ml(2tsp) milk
    30 ml (2tbsp) jam
    fewdrops of lemon juice

1. Put the flour ,margarine,sugar ,egg and milk in a bowl and beat until smooth.Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased teacup or bowl.Level teh top
    2.Cover with a 'hat' of microwave or non stick paper and cook on MEDIUM-HIGH (75%) for about two mins or until the pudding is still slightly moist on top but the mixture beneath is cooked
    3.leave to stand for two mins
    4.Meanwhile, put the jam into a small jug or bowl with 10ml (2tsp) water and the lemon juice.Cook on MEDIUM(50%) for 1-1 and a half minutes until the jam has melted.Stir well.
    5.Turn the pudding on to a warmed plate and pour the jam sauce over.Serve immediately.
    I made this many many times and it is superrrrrrrrr and fault proof really easy-peasy.
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 8th Oct 07, 1:11 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Microwaveable sponge recipe
    Hi, I had a lovely microwaveable sponge recipe from this board but I've lost it and can't find it through the search. Can anyone help please?
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 8th Oct 07, 1:27 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Here you go:-

Recipe thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=523656&postcount=134

DMP support thread (member #32)

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 8th Oct 07, 1:44 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi unixgirl,

There are some recipes on this thread too:

Microwave cakes?

Microwave syrup pudding

Pink
  • joanne0620

I've just demolished half of one of these with custard and it was heavenly
    **Trying my best to be the best that I can**

Cheese and Shoe Addict!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,855Posts Today

7,882Users online

Martin's Twitter