IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKCPM County Court Claim

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need the NTD or NTK to be served but take them in your own hearing file.
    7. Beavis sign for comparison (is this still recommended? I haven't actually referenced it
    I would include it, a good tactic is to screenshot it NEXT TO the scammers' own sign, showing theirs is MUCH smaller and tiny print, like in this OPS example prepared by ParkingMad:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8osabssqvcru0z4/Beavis%20and%20OPS%20signs%20side%20by%20side%20-%20text%20size%20and%20signage%20size%20difference.odt?dl=0

BUT you have the wrong Beavis quotes!

You simply need the sentences I quoted from #98, #193 and #198 of the Supreme Court Judgment, that I have put into post #14 of the Abuse of Process thread. The three times that the Judges said (effectively) that a private parking charge MUST incorporate the costs of the operation.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • spacegup
    spacegup Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2020 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Thanks Coupon-Mad, have found the right quotes now.

I've received their witness statement and bundle of documents (pretty early too as the deadline isn't until next week!). No surprises that the witness statement is signed by Jack Chapman, so I'll get the complaint to SRA done.
    However 'Jack' has realised his address mistake and now hails from 19 New Road, BN1 1UF.

They've provided an unsigned contract/removed the signatures due to data protection (hard to tell which), will this fly in court?

They've also provided a quote from the IPC code of practice: "where a parking charge becomes overdue a reasonable sum may be added. This sum must not exceed £60". From a quick google this was removed from the IPC's Code in 2017!!

If I want to address their witness statement can I do that under a sub-heading in my own?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,896 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spacegup wrote: »
    If I want to address their witness statement can I do that under a sub-heading in my own?
    Yes you can.
  • spacegup
    Options
    Here's what I've added since reading UKCPM's Witness Statement:

12. The Claimant has provided an Agreement authorising them to manage parking on the land relevant to this claim, however, the agreement appears unsigned. In the Defence statement the Claimant was put to strict proof that it has sufficient proprietary interest in the land, or that it has the necessary authorisation from the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to pursue payment by means of litigation.

13. In section 7, the Claimant states in their Witness Statement that the area of the car park in question, namely a section adjacent to the gravel bays, was not “outlined for parking”. The pictures provided in my appeal clearly show worn-out markings in this area, proving this area was in fact ‘outlined for parking’.

13.1. Further to this, it appears that the author of the witness statement has no knowledge of the layout of the car park. They state in section 20 that the area in question “did not format in line with the remaining car park”, referring to photographs where gravel areas can be seen. In fact, the car park has multiple gravel areas plus three paved parking areas of different sizes. The cars parked behind mine and in the other paved areas did not receive windscreen notices on the day I received mine, so the Claimant cannot plausibly argue these areas were not valid for parking.

14. In section 22, the Claimant refers to the International Parking Community (IPC) Code of Practice (for which they are an Accredited Operator) quoting a section permitting a reasonable sum not exceeding £60 to be added to an overdue parking charge. This section of the Code, however, was removed in 2017. One would assume an Accredited Operator to be up to date with the Code of Practice, indicating that the quote has either been included by the Claimant knowing it to be incorrect, or that the Claimant does not keep itself updated with the changes to a Code of Practice it apparently relies on.

15. In section 17, the Claimant argues “the Defendant has lodged a template defence that is heavily circulated on the internet and not specific to the fact of her case or the charge at hand”. This is completely untrue. Firstly, the Claimant has referred to sections of my defence, proving it is specific to the case (“The defendant avers she was a student at XXX, holding a ‘valid parking permit’. The defendant argues that the markings were ‘no longer visible’). Secondly, as I am not a lawyer and have no experience in such matters, in order to properly represent myself in this claim I have undertaken many hours of research and sought advice from others who have won similar cases as Defendants. The Claimant’s above statement and the opinion that my Defence is “generically copied and pasted” is entirely unfair and unnecessary to their Witness Statement.

16. The Witness Statement has been signed by a Jack Chapman of Ground Floor, 19 New Road, BN1 1UF using a facsimile signature identical to other witness statements of cases Gladstones is representing for on the internet. A comparison of signatures is included with this witness statements. A complaint has been made to the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority (SRA) who are currently investigating Gladstones Solicitors for allegedly using template witness statements rather than statements from their clients. The SRA have also been shown a job advert where Gladstones is advertising for ‘freelance statement writers’, indicating they submit template witness statements on behalf of claimants with little input from any actual witnesses.

Documents to be included:
    1. Defendant’s Schedule of Costs
    2. Images taken by Defendant in support of defence
    3. Images provided by Claimant in appeal rejection (size increased by Defendant)
    4. Comparison of sign in this case compared to sign in Beavis v Parkingeye Ltd [2015]
    5. Paragraphs 98, 193 and 198 of Supreme Court Judgment in Beavis v Parkingeye Ltd [2015]
    6. Map of car park annotated by Defendant to show parking and sign location
    7. Transcript of Order in ‘Vehicle Control Services v Mr Jonathon Davies’
    8. Transcript of Order in ‘UK Car Park Management Ltd v Esplanade Ltd’
    9. Consumer Rights Act 2015 Schedule 2
    10. Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4
    11. International Parking Committee Code of Practice Part E Schedule 5
    12. Comparison of ‘Jack Chapman’ signatures from other witness statements

Any final feedback much appreciated, hoping to get everything sent off today/tomorrow.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,896 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    11. International Parking Committee Code of Practice Part E Schedule 5
    That's wrong. You have the correct name in para 14 above.
  • spacegup
    Options
    Thanks KeithP.

If there’s no other comments, going to send everything off today!
  • didgeridoooo
    Options
    Excellent WS and preparation here. I wouldn't be surprised if they crawl back under their rock before the hearing, but either way good luck with this, I will be reading for updates with interest.

PS I received this same ad-hominum crap (they researched this on the internet). I am sure a Judge will see through this devious attempt to devalue the D for their lack of professional training, something most Judge's would see for what it is, bullying and irrelevant (and clutching at straws perhaps). If what you "pasted" (even IF you had) WORKS as a defence in your specific case, then it flies just fine in court!

They are just scared that you researched here, hahahah. Go MSE, go MSE, where are my pom-poms? :D

More great input from the Legend that is... Coupon-Sane!
    Combatting the pandemic of BWLegal-19, one 'notice of discontinuance' at a time. :-)
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    12 - give the ref to their exhibit, thats what its there for. Note that as hte document is unsigned, there is no proof the landowner has authorised them to do anything, and this puts them in breach of the code of practice of the IPC. I wouldnt bother reminding the court that you told the C to prove they had a contract, thats already in your defence.

13.1 - no, use simple numbering. No 13.1.2.3.4.5. Just 13, 14, 15 etc. For both 13 and 13.1, is it really section 7 and section 20, or is it paragraphs 7 and 20? If they HAVE used sections, then you of course refer to the specific numbered para, NOT the whole section.

I have no real idea what is meant by this whole para, i find it VERY confusing as you are not explicit enough in your writing. Was yor car on paved or gravel? Dont make the reader x-ref to ANYTHING if you can avoid it by being explicit - my car was parked on paved | gravel, one or 3 such areas within the car park, and the claimants claim that the area my vehicle was parked on "“did not format in line with the remaining car park” (BTW I have no idea what "did not format..." actually means, its a horrible sentence fragment) is nonsense because....
    Think again of how you structure a para to make it easy to understand. This is a skill, not something that happens immediately!

14) Lose the first parens, not needed. I would suggest you draw the courts attention firmly to the fact he claimant ha ssigne d aWS under a statementn of truth when it contains a material factual error, one that canot be excused as it is 3 years old, and so their intent is to mislead the court and the defendant.

15) I would summarise it more succinctly - that the C has cast aspersions in, ironically, a generic non-specific way, while in their own document proving that the defence is indeed specific to this claim. You ask that the court regards this obviously templated sentence - as it has appeared in the same Claimants bundle in multiple court claims - as a mere opinion, one that is undermined by the claimants own witness statement, and ask that the claimant explains why this statement has been included

I would go to *town* on these errors. They signed this under a statement of truth. That is SERIOUS and you need to get across that they are trying to mislead you and the court at worst, and AT BEST they are "just" incompetent and their WS is therefore highly suspect!

16) I love that they still keep using this....
  • didgeridoooo
    Options
    15) I would summarise it more succinctly - that the C has cast aspersions in, ironically, a generic non-specific way, while in their own document proving that the defence is indeed specific to this claim. You ask that the court regards this obviously templated sentence - as it has appeared in the same Claimants bundle in multiple court claims - as a mere opinion, one that is undermined by the claimants own witness statement, and ask that the claimant explains why this statement has been included

Brilliant! I will be 'borrowing' that, suck on that 'template' BWL :D
    Combatting the pandemic of BWLegal-19, one 'notice of discontinuance' at a time. :-)
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Especially because a WS is meant to be a series of facts. Not opinions...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure