New car/old car tipping point

Options
Hi all

I'm at a point where I'm weighing up whether to continue running my old car or replace it. Would appreciate some views.

The car is a 2008 Toyota Avensis 2.0D4D. 120k on the clock.
Bought it for £7k back in 2010.
Does about 8,000 miles a year but mainly motorways and other journeys of at least 20 miles. Doesn't do any short trips.
It's just failed its MOT, with looming costs below:

full service - £272
replace corroded brake lines - £726
clean EGR - £100

inspection advisories:

2 tyres needed soon, definitely before the next MOT - £144
battery failed test - £142

I can clean the EGR myself. I do it regularly anyway, so that will be £100 saved. The service, tyres and battery are all consumables so 'happy' with them but added to the brake work the bill will be c.£1300. Last year it had new front brake pads and disks but other than that, I've had no serious outlay on the car since I bought it! It returns a steady 55mpg.

It seems logical to stump up and get another couple of years' motoring out of it, including getting the new tyres and battery so I get maximum value from them, but just wondered what people's thoughts are because I could be at a point where these bigger bills come more frequently and it might be worth spending another £8-10k on a 'new' car that hopefully won't present any bills beyond consumables and servicing for a few years. Finding the money for that is straightforward because I've banked the savings from what has been a brilliantly cheap and reliable car to run. Instinct is to press on. I have another four weeks until the MOT expires so don't have to rush a decision.

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spend a thousand on your current car or 10 times that amount on a replacement.....I know what I would be doing. Look for another quote for the brake lines and get your current car in better shape.

Tyres & services should be planned expenditure. £726 is a lot to replace brake lines.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't know where you're getting your prices from!!! £540 for a service, two tyres and a battery?? Think you're getting ripped off there... are these main dealer prices perchance??

As above also shop round for the brakepipe replacement...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • JW1942
    JW1942 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Spend a thousand on your current car or 10 times that amount on a replacement.....I know what I would be doing. Look for another quote for the brake lines and get your current car in better shape.

Tyres & services should be planned expenditure. £726 is a lot to replace brake lines.
    Thanks, that was my instinct.

Doing a bit of research, the brake line replacement is a bit of a pain on the Avensis, involving dropping the fuel tank among other things - it's supposedly about five hours' work. The Toyota dealer usually give me a reasonable discount which would shave a bit off. The independent garage I occasionally use isn't a lot cheaper on labour rates but I will get them to quote.
  • JW1942
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting your prices from!!! £540 for a service, two tyres and a battery?? Think you're getting ripped off there... are these main dealer prices perchance??

As above also shop round for the brakepipe replacement...
    Yes, main dealer because historically they've been at a similar price to the indie I've used before.

Tyres are there or thereabouts, price-wise. I've checked elsewhere. As is the battery price. It's the full service that's been expensive. Awaiting a quote on the brake lines.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    3-year guarantee battery from ECP currently £65 with the dissy code. At 8k a year I'd chuck a pair of part-worn tyres on there for around £50. Service done at a local garage is goiing to be much cheaper if you shop around - someone may give you a good price for service & brakelines in one.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • JW1942
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    3-year guarantee battery from ECP currently £65 with the dissy code. At 8k a year I'd chuck a pair of part-worn tyres on there for around £50. Service done at a local garage is goiing to be much cheaper if you shop around - someone may give you a good price for service & brakelines in one.
    Thanks - I'd missed the discount code!
  • lexington013
    Options
    Hi, in my view 2008 isn’t an old car, particularly as your not doing huge mileage at 8000 miles per year. As with other posters you can get the work done on the car for a reasonable sum if you shop around. Toyotas are generally very reliable cars and as you say you have had very little outlay since you purchased. Get the work done and enjoy your motoring for another 3 years. Depreciation wise I would be keeping, once the work is done it will be worth more to you than trying to trade in etc. Stick with it!
  • JW1942
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. I’ve got a new battery and fitted it myself for £64 (thanks to GunJack for the tip-off). I’ve cleaned out the EGR valve and manifold (saving the £100 the dealer would have charged me) and chucked some fuel system cleaner in the tank ahead of a good hard run over the next few days. The indie garage is quoting for the brake lines but they want to see the full extent before doing so, so it’s popping along to them next week for a better look. New front tyres can wait a little while. They’re down to 3mm but not an MOT fail.

I’ve gone over all my service records and this car has been excellent. Bought it with 68k on the clock in 2010, it’s now on 122k. The only expenditure beyond servicing, tyres and air con recharge has been an alternator belt, a coil spring, new front discs and pads and rear pads. That is literally it, after nine years and 54k miles. I was gobsmacked to discover that I’d never changed the battery in all that time. No wonder it was starting to lose power!

Thanks again. With some good care and good fortune, she should last a while longer.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Keep it until the engine lets go or something else major, I guess you have a cam chain rather than a belt, one less thing to worry about for a while. Our RX300 is 17 years old now and still going strong, no point in changing it until something goes boom. Toyota engines will last a few hundred thousand miles if you look after them, the rest of it isn't as bad as other cars, seem many mercedes rust bad at this age, as well as other makes.
  • gabitzul
    gabitzul Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Result. The sensible choice. Well done and let's hope it lasts a lot more years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure