iPhone XS from MusicMagpie - Return or Keep

20vt-rs
20vt-rs Posts: 674 Forumite
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Hi all,

I just wanted to gauge some thoughts from people who may have used MusicMagpie (MM) in the past to buy a used phone, as I am not sure if this is ok or not.

I ordered a "Used-Good" iPhone XS from them a couple of weeks ago, it arrived last week and it's in pretty good nick overall, apart from an approx 1cm scratch in the middle, and a smaller 0.25cm scratch to the right of the screen. These scratches are enough you can get your nail into it and not a light surface scratch. The rear and sides are very good, a bit grimy in places around the switches but I can clean and cope with that. Battery health is 93%.

Anyway, I am in two minds to keep or return, I have had several communications with them (painful) and it seems they may send another one or refund me, depending if they have stock to replace.

I purchased it via their ebay shop with a discount code, so it's priced very well, but the scratch is niggling me. They did say that the phone shouldn't have come with a deep scratch, but also cannot confirm if I will get a replacement one that is better, I may just end up with a refund.

I am reluctant to return unless I am 100% clear what they can do, and don't fancy the refund as the dis!!!! via eBay is no longer active.

Is this usual from them, a friend of mine raves about them but I am being cautious. Do I send it back and risk not getting a replacement or just live with it. Thoughts appreciated! Thanks.
Mortgage Free Wannabe Light Bulb Moment (Early 2012, started May 2012)
Original Mortgage Amount - £147k (Oct 2005) / Term 27 years (To 2032)
Target to Pay off by 2026 by overpaying - Officially Mortgage Free June 2023!
Balance Reduction Progress: May12 £128k / Nov13 £120k / Dec15 £107k / Mar18 £87k / Mar21 £46k / Jun22 £28k / Jun23 £0!!

Comments

• liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As tounpaid through ebay and most likely paypal if your not happy return it and get refund and buy elsewhere up to you tho
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Send it back for a refund.

There is currently 10% off Music Magpie on ebay and these discounts appear quite often nowadays.
  • 20vt-rs
    Neil49 wrote: »
    Send it back for a refund.

There is currently 10% off Music Magpie on ebay and t
    these discounts appear quite often nowadays.

Well this was my plan, but they appear to have increased their prices during this 10% sale :( - At the moment with the equivalent phone on the 10%, it's £130 more than I paid. I am thinking I should keep this one and put up with the scratch for the value difference! I will get a screen protector and give it a whirl, I think i have 30-days anyway to change my mind. I know if it gores back I may end up with somethin worse or nothing at all and have no phone!!
    Balance Reduction Progress: May12 £128k / Nov13 £120k / Dec15 £107k / Mar18 £87k / Mar21 £46k / Jun22 £28k / Jun23 £0!!

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 11:45AM
    What are the odds that if you send it back they will suggest you scratched it?
    They have already stated "They did say that the phone shouldn't have come with a deep scratch, but also cannot confirm if I will get a replacement one that is better, I may just end up with a refund"
    What was the description as to condition in the eBay listing? Possibly no mention of the scratches, i.e. it was fine when we sent it!
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Glass screen protector on the top, job solved?
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • 20vt-rs
    What are the odds that if you send it back they will suggest you scratched it?
    They have already stated "They did say that the phone shouldn't have come with a deep scratch, but also cannot confirm if I will get a replacement one that is better, I may just end up with a refund"
    What was the description as to condition in the eBay listing? Possibly no mention of the scratches, i.e. it was fine when we sent it!

It was the "good" category, below very good and pristine, so it is bottom of the pile, but they did say it should not have a deep scratch. You are right however, what if to say i did it... All the description says is shows signs of moderate use, no further details.

Exemplar wrote: »
    Glass screen protector on the top, job solved?

I was hoping this would be the case... I got one today and fitted it, problem is the scren protector actually enhances the scratch :( I am still not sure what to do, overall it was very well priced for an XS, can't find one this cheap anywhere but the scratch is annoying my OCD :)

• The scratch will continue to annoy you by the sound of things. You could get a new screen fitted, a screen protector is not the answer, as you have discovered.

I would send it back.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• That’s why it was cheap!
  • 20vt-rs
    The scratch will continue to annoy you by the sound of things. You could get a new screen fitted, a screen protector is not the answer, as you have discovered.

I would send it back.

Yep, it went back, I looked at it for a day and it annoyed me! Lets see what replacement I get then, I hope they do that rather than a refund. Fingers crossed anyway...

• 20vt-rs
    20vt-rs wrote: »
    Yep, it went back, I looked at it for a day and it annoyed me! Lets see what replacement I get then, I hope they do that rather than a refund. Fingers crossed anyway...

Well that comany is officially useless! As I expected they just sent me a refund (which is good in itself), however they promised a replacement, I put a note in with the return requesting a replacement and it seemed to get ignored. The excuse was there were none in stock, yet I could go an buy the same on their eBay store again. I will be taking note and buying elsewhere in future! I guess these music magpie phones are a lottery, some you win some you loose. I'll be on the hunt for a cheap brand new one I think now.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure