Tesla News & Discussion

For anything related to Tesla and adjacent technologies

Comments

• GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2020 at 12:49AM
    The borning company is very interesting

A few key electric car only tunnels in the world's busy cities would create a strong reason to buy a Tesla or comparable BEV

I think as little as 50 miles of BEV tunnels in London could make for many people a BEV the only wise choice
    Plus BEV taxis could also use these to cut taxi trip times massively and also taxi costs because some trips would go from 25 mile to just 10 mile in a straight line

An interesting way to generate demand for BEVs. The very same BEVs can be used as high occupancy taxis/buses in these tunnels increasing passenger count and decreasing costs.

I wonder if something like HS2 could be done underground with autonomous model 3s traveling at perhaps 100mph not as high as the max speed of a train but since it's just 4-6 passangers a particular car wouldn't need to stop at any other station than the starting and stopping station. London to Birmingham would be just 1h and more or less no waiting times as each car sets off when it has 5 passangers rather than a set timetable it would flow with demand. The cars can charge at supercharges on either side for 10mins staying in a sweet spot of around 20-80% charge capacity. A single super charger can charge 144 cars a day and be in use 24/7.

A single model 3 could potentially clock up 19 trips per day carrying 95 passengers and doing 700,000 miles in a single year. The cost of the Tesla and electricity would only be about £10 each way split between 5 passengers it's just £2 each. The tunnel would of course be freking expensive but HS2 is Gona cost £50-£100B...
  • GreatApe
    Very close to $100 billion market cap today
    Not convinced the value of Tesla at this point in time is anything close to that figure

But it's a growth company...
    Growth in sales of physical goods isn't quite like technology where margins are very high or even 100% in the case of most software

German carmaker BMW on Tuesday said it achieved record sales of 2.49 million BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce vehicles last year. “BMW Group achieved record sales in 2018. 2.49 million vehicles mean the BMW Group is the world's leading premium automotive company for the 15th year running

Tesla might get to about half that scale and size by 2023/4 if everything goes right
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Very close to $100 billion market cap today
    Not convinced the value of Tesla at this point in time is anything close to that figure

But it's a growth company...
    Growth in sales of physical goods isn't quite like technology where margins are very high or even 100% in the case of most software

Tesla might get to about half that scale and size by 2023/4 if everything goes right
    I guess if they were the only robo taxi supplier in town for a few years then that would be pretty valuable.
    I think....
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GreatApe wrote: »
    The borning company is very interesting

A few key electric car only tunnels in the world's busy cities would create a strong reason to buy a Tesla or comparable BEV

I think as little as 50 miles of BEV tunnels in London could make for many people a BEV the only wise choice
    Plus BEV taxis could also use these to cut taxi trip times massively and also taxi costs because some trips would go from 25 mile to just 10 mile in a straight line

An interesting way to generate demand for BEVs. The very same BEVs can be used as high occupancy taxis/buses in these tunnels increasing passenger count and decreasing costs.

I wonder if something like HS2 could be done underground with autonomous model 3s traveling at perhaps 100mph not as high as the max speed of a train but since it's just 4-6 passangers a particular car wouldn't need to stop at any other station than the starting and stopping station. London to Birmingham would be just 1h and more or less no waiting times as each car sets off when it has 5 passangers rather than a set timetable it would flow with demand. The cars can charge at supercharges on either side for 10mins staying in a sweet spot of around 20-80% charge capacity. A single super charger can charge 144 cars a day and be in use 24/7.

A single model 3 could potentially clock up 19 trips per day carrying 95 passengers and doing 700,000 miles in a single year. The cost of the Tesla and electricity would only be about £10 each way split between 5 passengers it's just £2 each. The tunnel would of course be freking expensive but HS2 is Gona cost £50-£100B...

What sort of capacity could a single tunnel have though compared to heavy rail? With a 'safe driving' 2s gap between vehicles and 4 pax per vehicle that is 7,200 pax per hour - compared to a train carrying 1500 pax at a realistic 12 per hour (hs2 fantasy is 18ph) = 18,000 so you would need pretty much 3 tunnels in each direction to support the same capacity or else larger 12 pax vehicles but in that case they would be less likely to be able to be 'dual use' vehicles taking passengers out of the tunnel and on to final destination.
    I think....
  • GreatApe
    michaels wrote: »
    I guess if they were the only robo taxi supplier in town for a few years then that would be pretty valuable.

Yes for sure true self drive software is worth $1 trillion +

But they don't have self drive software right now nor is it a given they will be the ones that get there first although they do seem to be going at it full speed
  • GreatApe
    edited 14 January 2020 at 1:44PM
    michaels wrote: »
    What sort of capacity could a single tunnel have though compared to heavy rail? With a 'safe driving' 2s gap between vehicles and 4 pax per vehicle that is 7,200 pax per hour - compared to a train carrying 1500 pax at a realistic 12 per hour (hs2 fantasy is 18ph) = 18,000 so you would need pretty much 3 tunnels in each direction to support the same capacity or else larger 12 pax vehicles but in that case they would be less likely to be able to be 'dual use' vehicles taking passengers out of the tunnel and on to final destination.

Why 2 seconds? That's 62 meters (~15 car lengths) distance between cars at 70mph.
    0.5 seconds seems more reasonable that's about 3 car lengths
    That increases the capacity to a max 28,800 per hour so a single tunnel would be fine
    If you want more just use 6 seat EVs over 3 lines = 43,200 per hour max

Personally I think it would be a hybrid
    With normal cars with just 1-4 passengers doing door to door
    Plus 'train cars' doing station to station
    The train cars can be perhaps 20 cars long connected together with 6 per car = 120 passengers

The idea with EV tunnels is they can be significantly smaller than train tunnels
    Perhaps just 2.5 meters in diameter Vs 7.6m for Eurotunnel
    That means you can build ~10 EV tunnels for 1 train tunnel
    Or you can say it will cost about 1/10th as much
    This also makes it more modular so prices and learning curves will be much better
  • pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2020 at 1:58PM
    GA's enthusiasm for tunnels to transport cars seems to be contradictory to his earlier opposition to Mega projects"We should cancel all mega projects" I believe the statement was?

GA has made several posts in opposition to building high speed rail links due to the high costs, yet he thinks nothing of spending billions digging tunnels to transport cars.

Very odd to see GA being inconsistent in his thinking, normally he's so right-minded and sensible, whether it's domestic nuclear powered central heating or AI generating electricity without the need of power stations, so I'm stumped with it.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • GreatApe
    GA's enthusiasm for tunnels to transport cars seems to be contradictory to his earlier opposition to Mega projects"We should cancel all mega projects" I believe the statement was?

GA has made several posts in opposition to building high speed rail links due to the high costs, yet he thinks nothing of spending billions digging tunnels to transport cars.

Very odd to see GA being inconsistent in his thinking, normally he's so right-minded and sensible, whether it's domestic nuclear powered central heating or AI generating electricity without the need of power stations, so I'm stumped with it.

HS2 is silly because the existing motorway network + high speed self drive cars will make HS2 use redundant.

Urban tunnels would be useful
    Can't see anything obvious in the near future which would change that
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ... except interconnectors and the bear AI of course
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • Hexane wrote: »
    ... except interconnectors and the bear AI of course

Agreed. IIRC from his posts on this board, GA invented interconnectors and the UK & rest of Europe are now implementing his technology and his linkage strategy. It's only a matter of time before bear AI comes to fruition and we will no longer have any problems whatsoever with bears and their lack of AI.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure