Options
124»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Really not worth claiming as I always opt for quite a high excess, so it makes sense for me to just pay this one and learn from it:(

and now you see the folly of defaulting to high excess ;)
    When you get enough years under your belt the low excess makes little premium difference IMO.
    Saves the grief if a claim arises
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    When you get enough years under your belt the low excess makes little premium difference IMO.

Just to bring back the sense of perspective here - he can get the repair done for £400+VAT. Your car needed a £2000+ repair.

No need to claim through the insurance for that for what by your own admission would be a potential couple of hundred "saving" at most, and you still have to declare the claim for 5 years.

I personally wouldnt dream of putting that level of claim through my insurance.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Just to bring back the sense of perspective here - he can get the repair done for £400+VAT. Your car needed a £2000+ repair.

No need to claim through the insurance for that for what by your own admission would be a potential couple of hundred "saving" at most, and you still have to declare the claim for 5 years.

I personally wouldnt dream of putting that level of claim through my insurance.

my total cost on claim,increase of insurance was less that £400+vat
    I stand by when you get enough years its not worth offsetting policy cost with high excesses
  • motorguy
    Options
    my total cost on claim,increase of insurance was less that £400+vat

It may have been - but

(a) you cant guarantee it will be identical to the O/P
    (b) you cant guarantee that you or the O/P wont need to make another claim inside five years and thus more severely impact your premiums overall.

Having a marker on your insurance for 5 years and potentially impacting premiums for 5 years to save £100 odd does not seem like a good idea to me.
    I stand by when you get enough years its not worth offsetting policy cost with high excesses

Thats fine, however its not the situation the O/P finds themselves in and like the O/P i wouldnt be claiming for a £400+VAT repair cost anyway
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Motoguy you are 100% right in that the actual saving would be £80, so just not worth the hassle.

My renewal premium was £154 and I would like it to stay at that level for as long as possible.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Not really, I like low premiums;)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• motorguy
    edited 9 December 2019 at 1:42PM
    Options
    JustABit wrote: »
    Actually I don't have to cope with such things atm since the car I drive usually is a rented range rover velar and all I have to pay for is this exact rent, nothing more.

Perhaps when you're spamming in future you could take a few milliseconds and note what country you're spamming in?

This is a UK site.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Perhaps when you're spamming in future you could take a few milliseconds and note what country you're spamming in?
    Who ever suggested spammers were bright?

BTW, at least mung the URL so that when the spam's inevitably removed, you won't be echoing it.
  • motorguy
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Who ever suggested spammers were bright?

BTW, at least mung the URL so that when the spam's inevitably removed, you won't be echoing it.

Done....... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport