Cost of bodywork repair

Options
melbury
melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 4 December 2019 at 4:18PM in Motoring
I am so !!!!!! at myself.

Turned too soon coming out of a parking space in an underground car park and caught a metal bollard. I just thought it had caught the mirror causing it to spring inwards, but no, when I got out to see it has pushed in part of the lower door and sill which causes the door to catch when opening it - quite a dent:(

I have never done anything like this before and am just so cross with myself.

I don't want to claim on my insurance, but just wondered if anyone knows is it very expensive to get this kind of thing fixed?
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes...

Door skin, possibly a complete door, bit of work to the sill. Fitting, paint.

What car, what age? Metallic or solid paint?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As above, to repair it "properly" is likely to be fairly pricey.

But, depending on the car, the age, how good a repair you want - it *might* be possible to attempt a repair yourself, potentially with a door from a scrappy and a few cans of spray paint. You'll never get it as good as a professional job, and the very fact that you're asking would kind of indicate that you want it doing properly.

It may be worth asking for a quote at your local body shop (privately, not through your insurer) - which may well be the same place an insurance company would use. Or you could ask one of these "chips-away" type repairers, though it may be beyond the scope of their ability.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above, to repair it "properly" is likely to be fairly pricey.

But, depending on the car, the age, how good a repair you want - it *might* be possible to attempt a repair yourself, potentially with a door from a scrappy and a few cans of spray paint. You'll never get it as good as a professional job, and the very fact that you're asking would kind of indicate that you want it doing properly.

It may be worth asking for a quote at your local body shop (privately, not through your insurer) - which may well be the same place an insurance company would use. Or you could ask one of these "chips-away" type repairers, though it may be beyond the scope of their ability.

Unless the car is worth only a couple of hundred, please please dont do this. It will look !!!!.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Unless the car is worth only a couple of hundred, please please dont do this. It will look !!!!.

Which is why I did kind of qualify my advice :-)

I did exactly this myself many, many years ago on an old Astra. The door was a doddle to remove and replace, and - yes, it wasn't an exact colour match, but it weren't half bad if I do say so myself. But the car was worth, as you rightly say, only worth a few hundred so it was an acceptable bodge :-)

Yes, doing the job properly takes a lot of time and skill, which is why a proper body shop will charge so much.
  • motorguy
    edited 4 December 2019 at 5:29PM
    Options
    As per Adrians post - more info about the car will help greatly, but the most cost effective way is likely a second hand door and a local bodyshop.

I'd be surprised if the sill isnt repairable so it'll be a labour and materials cost rather than a cut out and replace cost.

One thing to bear in mind is that the panels either side of the damaged one will need feathered in / lacquered out so that adds to the cost.

Based on the very limited information and including the cost of a second hand door it feels like between £500 (unlikely) to £1000. Probably £750 ish +/- £100
  • melbury
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies.

Car is just over 5 years old VW Up, metallic paint.

Will get some quotes; don't really want to claim on insurance.

• AdrianC
    Options
    Shouldn't be too hard to find a used door in the right colour - definitely worth doing properly, rather than any old door and rattlecan.
  • melbury
    Options
    I was hoping that they could just pop the dents out, didn't realize it would be so major:(

• motorguy
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your replies.

Car is just over 5 years old VW Up, metallic paint.

Will get some quotes; don't really want to claim on insurance.

They may offer to get a second hand door for you (or the current one might be repairable) but theres no world shortage of Up! doors out there which is good news :)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Upload a pic to https://imgbb.com/ and post a link...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure