DLA tribunal advice?

Options

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I don't know what your son's condition/s are and I'm not presuming to ask, but for autistic children and adults 'masking' is an almost universal phenomenon - basically holding it together in public, and for children especially they then fall apart at home because they just don't have the energy to do it all the time.

It sounds like your son holding it together at school then having to decompress once home because he's used all his energy for behaving at school is a very similar principle, and hopefully it should be recognised. If you can find a relevant term for it in the context of his condition/s that may help.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know what your son's condition/s are and I'm not presuming to ask, but for autistic children and adults 'masking' is an almost universal phenomenon - basically holding it together in public, and for children especially they then fall apart at home because they just don't have the energy to do it all the time.

It sounds like your son holding it together at school then having to decompress once home because he's used all his energy for behaving at school is a very similar principle, and hopefully it should be recognised. If you can find a relevant term for it in the context of his condition/s that may help.

OP, I'd like to second what Spoonie Turtle has said, 'masking' is incredibly common and I don't think I've ever met a parent whose child is the same at school and home; a lot of kids hold it together during the day and then fall apart when they get home (my own son included). If your child is autistic then it would be worth you contacting the Autistic Society for some information about masking and if they have a different condition then try contacting the relevant organisation for that to see if they can help. The panel would ordinarily be familiar with 'masking' and it isn't unusual to see different behaviours in different environments. You won't be the first person to sit in front of them describing that :) Try to focus on the extra help you have to give him and describe that. Even if you don't feel hopeful I would try to look at it as a chance to experience the setting and learn more about the process and then at least that way if you aren't successful this time you'll be better prepared for something similar in the future, but as has been said, what you describe is very common so I wouldn't write the situation off just yet :)
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Get your parents to write a brief note you can hand to the tribunal clerk, that describes this and the consequent care needs.

Oh I didn't think of that

He has dyspraxia and hypermobility and I also suspect he has ADHD
    LocoLoco wrote: »
    OP, I'd like to second what Spoonie Turtle has said, 'masking' is incredibly common and I don't think I've ever met a parent whose child is the same at school and home; a lot of kids hold it together during the day and then fall apart when they get home (my own son included). If your child is autistic then it would be worth you contacting the Autistic Society for some information about masking and if they have a different condition then try contacting the relevant organisation for that to see if they can help. The panel would ordinarily be familiar with 'masking' and it isn't unusual to see different behaviours in different environments. You won't be the first person to sit in front of them describing that :) Try to focus on the extra help you have to give him and describe that. Even if you don't feel hopeful I would try to look at it as a chance to experience the setting and learn more about the process and then at least that way if you aren't successful this time you'll be better prepared for something similar in the future, but as has been said, what you describe is very common so I wouldn't write the situation off just yet :)
    Thank you I will try to stay positive
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Oh, there seems to be quite a correlation between hypermobility and sensory regulation difficulties + neurodiverse traits. (I was hoping the HMSA would have some readily-found info about this but a quick look through their site didn't turn up anything. Everything that I've read has been things I've come across on Twitter, but as it's not actually my area I don't have any sources to hand.)

Attempting to function with dyspraxia on top of all that, plus the difficulties that cause you to suspect ADHD, must be absolutely exhausting for your son.

[Btw if there are any accommodations you or any assessing agencies have requested/recommended for school but they are not implementing them, that may add some extra weight to your account of what happens when he comes home. If he's not receiving all the support that would help him cope with school then he'd be using even more energy to keep it together during the day.]

I have zero experience (yet) at fighting for benefit entitlement but having worked in a school, I've heard your kind of account many times with many children, with all sorts of diagnosed - and undiagnosed - difficulties. So go in believing they will take your account seriously, because there is no reason they shouldn't :)
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Oh, there seems to be quite a correlation between hypermobility and sensory regulation difficulties + neurodiverse traits. (I was hoping the HMSA would have some readily-found info about this but a quick look through their site didn't turn up anything. Everything that I've read has been things I've come across on Twitter, but as it's not actually my area I don't have any sources to hand.)

Attempting to function with dyspraxia on top of all that, plus the difficulties that cause you to suspect ADHD, must be absolutely exhausting for your son.

[Btw if there are any accommodations you or any assessing agencies have requested/recommended for school but they are not implementing them, that may add some extra weight to your account of what happens when he comes home. If he's not receiving all the support that would help him cope with school then he'd be using even more energy to keep it together during the day.]

I have zero experience (yet) at fighting for benefit entitlement but having worked in a school, I've heard your kind of account many times with many children, with all sorts of diagnosed - and undiagnosed - difficulties. So go in believing they will take your account seriously, because there is no reason they shouldn't :)
    School have sent me an email stating that he is below the expected standard, that he needs tasks explaining more than once, and that his mood affects his learning, so I'm hoping that will help too.
    I have asked that he gets extra support with his writing but they have not implemented anything yet.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I had the tribunal this morning but I feel like it went terribly. They were running an hour late so didn't make a decision today and will write to me so I'm pretty sure they will say no. Oh well. It was worth a try.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I had the tribunal this morning but I feel like it went terribly. They were running an hour late so didn't make a decision today and will write to me so I'm pretty sure they will say no. Oh well. It was worth a try.
    It's not unusual for them not to make a decision on the day of the hearing, it depends on the case. This doesn't mean no award has been given. Lots of people don't have the decision on the day and they go on to have a decision in their favour.

You should receive a letter within in a few days because they're usually very quick sending the decision letter.

Don't think the worst!
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    It's not unusual for them not to make a decision on the day of the hearing, it depends on the case. This doesn't mean no award has been given. Lots of people don't have the decision on the day and they go on to have a decision in their favour.

You should receive a letter within in a few days because they're usually very quick sending the decision letter.

Don't think the worst!

Thanks poppy I'm just trying to not get my hopes up really.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • LocoLoco
    Options
    I hope it's a good outcome for you OP, we did have one tribunal that I was certain had gone terribly badly. They gave me the answer there and then and I was so gobsmacked when they said they were awarding him the higher rate that I asked them to repeat it and then asked them if they were sure lol. I know that doesn't make any difference to the outcome of yours but I hope it's a good outcome and if it isn't, at least you've done it, you know what it's like now and you can use the experience if you find yourself in a similar situation again. But I hope it has gone better than you think it has :) x
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Thanks LocoLoco-me too but I can't see it happening tbh. They were very nice but it seemed as if they didn't really believe me.

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills