Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 9:09 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 2Thanks
    rosey-789
    Advice needed on rent
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:09 PM
    Advice needed on rent 18th Oct 19 at 9:09 PM
    We are mixed age couple. I have been told by the council and welfare rights again because I receive £64. and my partner £168 state pension we aren't entitled to help with the rent and that I would have to pay from the carers £79 per week rent payments and that we couldn't claim universal credit as they would also tell us we aren't entitled. I'm at my wits end as by the time we pay full rent and council tax along with bills and food we aren't going to manage. My partner is on pip and gets high rate for mobility and middle care.
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    You have not mentioned it in your income but what disability benefit is your husband getting and at what rate in order for you to get the Carerís Allowance (I assume this is what you mean by Ďthe carersí)?

The council are correct to say that, as a mixed age couple, you cannot claim Housing Benefit.
    Last edited by calcotti; 18-10-2019 at 9:32 PM.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 18th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 3,504 Posts
    • 5,399 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    From an earlier thread in May

"He gets the Daily Living component standard of pip £58.70 and Enhanced rate £61.20"

OP

For clarity

Is your income

Partners SP £168 pw
    PIP £120 pw
    Carers £66 pw

Total £354

And your rent is £79 pw?

Edited because of brain freeze!
    Last edited by NeilCr; 18-10-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    If you claimed UC you would have a monthly entitlement of 659.09/month (standard element plus carer element) plus help with your rent. Your joint income of pension £168 and Carerís Allowance of £66.15 is £1014.65/month. The PIP of £119.90/week is ignored. If your monthly help with rent entitlement is less than £355.56/month (£82/week) there will therefore be no UC entitlement.

However if your husband obtains a Fit Note from his GP and you both then claim UC anyway he can ask to have a Work Capability Assessment (even though neither of you will be expected to work or look for work). If as a result of the assessment he was found to have a Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity the UC entitlement would increase by £336.20/month from the fourth month.

If he was getting the enhanced rate of Daily Living PIP he would automatically be treated as having a LCWRA.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    You have not mentioned it in your income but what disability benefit is your husband getting and at what rate in order for you to get the Carerís Allowance (I assume this is what you mean by Ďthe carersí)?

The council are correct to say that, as a mixed age couple, you cannot claim Housing Benefit.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    Sorry, He gets pip £468 high mobility and middle care. I receive Carers Allowance and he has his state pension.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 9:55 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:55 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:55 PM
    If you claimed UC you would have a monthly entitlement of 659.09/month (standard element plus carer element) plus help with your rent. Your joint income of pension £168 and Carer’s Allowance of £66.15 is £1014.65/month. The PIP of £119.90/week is ignored. If your monthly help with rent entitlement is less than £355.56/month (£82/week) there will therefore be no UC entitlement.

However if your husband obtains a Fit Note from his GP and you both then claim UC anyway he can ask to have a Work Capability Assessment (even though neither of you will be expected to work or look for work). If as a result of the assessment he was found to have a Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity the UC entitlement would increase by £336.20/month from the fourth month.

If he was getting the enhanced rate of Daily Living PIP he would automatically be treated as having a LCWRA.

No he receives middle rate care. Our rent is £79 and a few pennies a week so what you're saying is we won't be entitled to any rent help whatsoever and will have to pay our rent from my Carers £64 and my partners pension £168? My partner even asked if he has to his state pension and they said yes as he won't be entitled to any benefit.
    Last edited by rosey-789; 18-10-2019 at 9:58 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 18th Oct 19, 9:56 PM
    • 6,215 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:56 PM
    Sorry, He gets pip £468 high mobility and middle care.
    Originally posted by rosey-789
    There's no middle rate care for PIP, it's Standard or Enhanced.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 9:56 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    Sorry, He gets pip £468 high mobility and middle care. I receive Carers Allowance and he has his state pension.
    This is what I understood from the start of Neilís post. See my post at #4.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 9:59 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:59 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 9:59 PM
    No he receives middle rate care. Our rent is £79 and a few pennies a week so what you're saying is we won't be entitled to any rent help whatsoever and will have to pay our rent from my Carers £64 and my partners pension £168?
    And the PIP of £119.90 (standard rate daily living and enhanced rate mobility).

However you also have the option, as explained in my earlier post, of getting a Fit Note, claiming UC, requesting a WCA and hoping your husband is found to have LCWRA which would then get you about £320/month.
    Last edited by calcotti; 18-10-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    If you claimed UC you would have a monthly entitlement of 659.09/month (standard element plus carer element) plus help with your rent. Your joint income of pension £168 and Carerís Allowance of £66.15 is £1014.65/month. The PIP of £119.90/week is ignored. If your monthly help with rent entitlement is less than £355.56/month (£82/week) there will therefore be no UC entitlement.

Doctor won't give him a fit note as can hardly walk with his mobility problem and has recently had a heart attack and has stents fitted.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 18th Oct 19, 10:03 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    A fit note is the new name for sick note.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 10:03 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    Doctor won't give him a fit note as can hardly walk with his mobility problem and has recently had a heart attack and has stents fitted.
    A Fit Note is a the official term for what should more logically be called a sick note, it confirms that he is too ill to work. The full name is a Statement of Fitness for Work
    Last edited by calcotti; 18-10-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 10:28 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    There's no middle rate care for PIP, it's Standard or Enhanced.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Thats what I meant. Enhanced for mobility and standard care he receives.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 10:31 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    A Fit Note is a the official term for what should more logically be called a sick note, it confirms that he is too ill to work. The full name is a Statement of Fitness for Work

He was already in the support group of esa but now hes due his state pension he's not entitled to it now hence him having to take his sp.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 10:39 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    He was already in the support group of esa but now hes due his state pension he's not entitled to it now hence him having to take his sp.
    We understand that. You need to both claim UC with him having a Fit Note and he then needs to be reassessed. Unfortunately his ESA Support Group status cannot be transferred across because there has been a break between the end of the ESA and the UC claim. Hopefully he will be confirmed as having LCWRA and you will get the extra £320/month in the fourth month.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 10:47 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    We understand that. You need to both claim UC with him having a Fit Note and he then needs to be reassessed. Unfortunately his ESA Support Group status cannot be transferred across because there has been a break between the end of the ESA and the UC claim. Hopefully he will be confirmed as having LCWRA and you will get the extra £320/month in the fourth month.
    I really don't understand this as I was told he wouldn't be entitled to uc as hes a pensioner on a state pension and I wouldn't be entitled to uc either due to having carers allowance. Looks like I'm not even entitled to rent help according to council now.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 10:55 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    Does this mean my partner will have his state pension removed from him? if we could claim uc?
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 10:56 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    Does this mean my partner will have his state pension removed from him? if we could claim uc?
    No. ......
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Oct 19, 11:02 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    calcotti
    I really don't understand this as I was told he wouldn't be entitled to uc as hes a pensioner on a state pension and I wouldn't be entitled to uc either due to having carers allowance. Looks like I'm not even entitled to rent help according to council now.
    The rent help is part of UC. You have a maximum UC entitlement, including help with rent, as described in my previous posts. However your husbandís pension and your Carerís Allowance is taken into account as income and deducted from the UC. At the moment your income is too high for you to immediately get UC. However if your husband gets a Fit Note and you claim UC and he is found to have LCWRA then the maximum UC amount will increase above your income and you will become entitled to a monthly UC payment from the fourth month. I have explained this to the best of my ability in the previous posts.

Claiming UC will not stop any of your existing income (pension, Carerís and PIP).

The advice you were previously given has, in my opinion, overlooked the potential to increase the UC entitlement by getting the LCWRA element (although this is not guaranteed).
    Last edited by calcotti; 18-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    • rosey-789
    • By rosey-789 18th Oct 19, 11:07 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rosey-789
    The rent help is part of UC. You have a maximum UC entitlement, including help with rent, as described in my previous posts. However your husbandís pension and your Carerís Allowance is taken into account as income and deducted from the UC. At the moment your income is too high for you to immediately get UC. However if your husband gets a Fit Note and you claim UC and he is found to have LCWRA then the maximum UC amount will increase above your income and you will become entitled to a monthly UC payment from the fourth month. I have explained this to the best of my ability in the previous posts.

Claiming UC will not stop any of your existing income (pension, Carerís and PIP).

Ah so if he goes and sees his doctor and gets this fit note before I make a uc claim which is better to do as it will then increase it. I've done a benefit check and it states this.

£78.02 / weekly
    Our estimate is based on the information you have entered and does not guarantee entitlement. It uses
    19/20 benefit and tax rates.
    This amount is made up of the following benefits.

Universal Credit
    £0.00 / weekly
    On the basis of the data entered you are not entitled to Universal Credit. We estimate your
    monthly Universal Credit will be £0.00.

Carers Allowance
    £66.15 / weekly
    Client Carer's Allowance entered by user. For more information see Result page.

Council Tax Support
    £11.87 / weekly
    Your full Council Tax bill of £23.73 per week will be reduced to £11.87 per week because of
    your entitlement to Council Tax Support. The amount you get can be affected by other benefits.
    We have included the amounts we have calculated for Carer's Allowance (£66.15 per week).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter